do not call register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do not call register

Are we all sick and tired of the relentless phone calls from solar panel companies?

The phone rings, you rush to answer, and some person in India wants to extol the virtue of beautiful, clean, free, solar energy.

But...but...I'm on the federal government's do not call register...so why am I getting these nuisance calls?

Well, after lodging a written complaint with the Australian communications authority, it seems that some of these overseas callers have taken it upon themselves to cold call people, persuade them they need solar, get their details, and then sell the contact to Australian solar companies as prospective clients.

So if you are on the do not call register, and yet get such a call, press them for details...phone number, website, name of caller...note the time of the call, and pass all that on to the ACA for action.

Thanks for that tip. I don't actually get many calls but when I do I have wondered why as I have registered on the Do Not Call register. Now, I know!

Comment

Hmmmm, what's wrong with me? I'm on the do not call register (have been for years) and never get this type of call, perhaps they concentrate their effort on city numbers.

Comment

I am also on the DNC register which doesn’t seem to stop calls from overseas.

Often when I answer the phone there is a pregnant pause, so I just hang up.

They soon give up.

Barry

Comment

One thing to remember with the DNC register, is that you need to re register every few years as it has expiry date.
          Good idea to register your mobile as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thundering_gerkins View Post
            One thing to remember with the DNC register, is that you need to re register every few years as it has expiry date.
            Good idea to register your mobile as well.
            if you use a valid e-mail address you should get a reminder notification to renew the registration.

Comment

How do you know the register list itself isn't being sold offshore. I bet it is. Nothing about the Internet or telecommunications is private, only a naive fool would believe otherwise. Stay off all lists, don't give your name and details to any bureaucracy, public or private. Especially, don't donate blood. Your DNA profile will end up on a CIA database. Collating of personal data of citizens is happening right now, and it is global. Remember, just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after you.

Oh cynical me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernsbrew View Post
                How do you know the register list itself isn't being sold offshore. I bet it is. Nothing about the Internet or telecommunications is private, only a naive fool would believe otherwise. Stay off all lists, don't give your name and details to any bureaucracy, public or private. Especially, don't donate blood. Your DNA profile will end up on a CIA database. Collating of personal data of citizens is happening right now, and it is global. Remember, just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after you.

Oh cynical me.
                Do you also hear voices BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  Do you also hear voices BB.
                  Only from my spirit guides.

Comment

Only from my spirit guides.
                    Jack Daniels or Johnny Walker?

Comment

The only ones that annoy me are the ones that ring just before or during dinner.
                      Any others are fair game. I'm retired and I will happily waste half an hour of their time asking them personal questions and making observations about the state of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                        The only ones that annoy me are the ones that ring just before or during dinner.
                        You should ask for their private number so you can call them back while they are having their dinner.

Barry

Comment

You got to be jokin' - STD to Mumbai - that must cost a fortune.
                          Anyhow they'd probably hang up on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                            You got to be jokin' - STD to Mumbai - that must cost a fortune.
                            Anyhow they'd probably hang up on me.
                            I hear sexually transmitted diseases are freely available in Mumbai at surprisingly affordable rates.

Comment

Oh cynical me.
                              I hope you were joking. If not... seek help. And... worry as much as you want but here's a clue... the authorities already know who you are, where you live, etc... I think that it would be hard for the ATO or Centrelink (probably more applicable here) et al to operate otherwise. Try hiding if it makes you feel better but it really doesn't achieve anything and... unless you plan on becoming a mass murderer... hiding your DNA seems rather pointless as well. And using it as an excuse to avoid giving blood smacks of selfishness quite in character... so please tell me you were joking.

Comment

Working...
                              X