Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asteroid 2012 DA14

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Asteroid 2012 DA14

    Anybody out watching the flyby? Closest approach is in about 20 minutes and it will pass at a distance of 28,200km which is inside of the satellites in geosynchronous orbit.


    Java "Fun with binocs" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  • #2
    Maybe you should have been in Russia instead Java ?

    Comment


    • #3
      It was daytime here so we would have needed extremely good eyesight to see it

      Asteroid 2012 DA14 brushes by Earth: as it happened - Telegraph

      But I've had a problem with asteroids before. The doctor gave me some ointment for it.
      Oh, hang on sorry, my mistake. That was for .....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blend52 View Post
        Maybe you should have been in Russia instead Java ?
        I would have loved to have been there to see/experience that meteor!

        Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
        It was daytime here so we would have needed extremely good eyesight to see it
        The times in your linked article are in GMT, not local AUS time. Plus it was visible for hours prior to closest approach. The JPL live stream was getting their live feeds from 3 different sites in Australia.


        Java "ad astra!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Didn't watch the fly by but I did wake up to the morning news of scores of people injured from shattering glass from the sonic boom created by a meteorite falling on central Russia.

          A few witnesses filmed the event on their dashcam of their cars and posted to Youtube.

          Question is, was the meteorite a fragment borne from the asteroid that passed by Earth?

          Does make one think about our place in this Universe.

          We sit on a crust like a skin of an apple sitting on top of thousands of miles of molten rock at various extreme temperatures, prone to meteorite showers and hits.
          Every thousands of years, a decent asteroid will hit Earth which would change the way of life.
          Once in a few million years a mega asteroid will obliterate life, perhaps changing the orbit and shift weather patterns in a major way.

          For now, live and cherish each day and be grateful that we are existing on the right balance of elements that creates and sustain life on a planet far away from everything in a black seas of nothingness.

          Comment


          • #6
            In 2029, Apophis asteroid is expected to whizz past at a distance a little too close for comfort – just 30,000 kilometres.

            Start your huge green bean basement collection about a year before the event.

            Wait, some people already have more than 80 kilos of it stashed away...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sidewayss View Post
              Didn't watch the fly by but I did wake up to the morning news of scores of people injured from shattering glass from the sonic boom created by a meteorite falling on central Russia.

              A few witnesses filmed the event on their dashcam of their cars and posted to Youtube.

              Question is, was the meteorite a fragment borne from the asteroid that passed by Earth?
              No, the meteorite came from the opposite direction as did DA14.

              Originally posted by sidewayss View Post
              In 2029, Apophis asteroid is expected to whizz past at a distance a little too close for comfort – just 30,000 kilometres.
              Almost as close as today's asteroid. The final figure for DA14 showed it came with-in 27,700km. In 2080 there is a slight chance it may enter the atmosphere.


              Java "Stashing the greens" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

              Comment

              Working...
              X