parents with prams priority parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parents with prams priority parking

You've noticed the signs in shopping centre car parks. Parents with prams.

I am willing to be corrected and educated, because I can't see why a parent pushing a pram needs priority parking. Implicit is that the parent is a young and healthy adult..

Is it really such an exhausting feat to push a pram? Moreso than it is for, say, the same adult or even an older one, manoeuvrering an unwieldly shopping trolley?

Well, I guess it is a clever bit of marketing towards the target demographic of many of their leaseholders.

What really gets me is the priority parking spots for left-handers.

Comment

I think it is marketing combined with safety.
      I daresay parents with a pram don't like to be navigating too far in a big car park (often with another young child in tow), so any shopping centre that offers them the chance to park close to the entrance is more likely to get their business.

My pet hate is all the premium car spots that go to the crappy car wash mobs!

Comment

America now has pregnancy parking, I can't remember the exact title on the signs, that's right they may only be 3 weeks pregnant but they can park right in front of the store but you can't if you've just broken your leg!

Comment

The pram spots, like the disabled spots, are generally a bit wider so the manoeuvring that it takes to get prams, kids, wheelchairs and other mobility aids prepared is both possible and doesn't disturb other parkers.

I'm happy to see them, it cuts down on the "door dings".

Greg

Comment

Sorry robusto but from your comments I would guess you never have needed to use such a care parking spot?
            Once more I would venture that you have very little empathy for people who do need one.
            I could be very wrong here? I Hope so.
            I would point out that even if I am or if you dont have kids or dont ever shop with them . You once were one .

Mitchell

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald View Post
              The pram spots, like the disabled spots, are generally a bit wider so the manoeuvring that it takes to get prams, kids, wheelchairs and other mobility aids prepared is both possible and doesn't disturb other parkers.

I'm happy to see them, it cuts down on the "door dings".

Greg
              I was just about to post the same.
              The wider parking spaces are great.

We have young kids that have to be in car seats, so this requires us to strap them in.
              So being able to open the door to the first click makes life easier.

I think the problem could be, we own a sedan which seems to atract Landcruiser's or any other oversize SUV to park as close as humanly possible (usally at a 30 degree angle) to our vehicle.
              On occasion I've had to move the car to another parking spot just to get the kids in.

Rant over...... Think I'll go and have a coffee

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post

I am willing to be corrected and educated, because I can't see why a parent pushing a pram needs priority parking. Implicit is that the parent is a young and healthy adult..

Is it really such an exhausting feat to push a pram? Moreso than it is for, say, the same adult or even an older one, manoeuvrering an unwieldly shopping trolley?
                If you have never seen any one pushing a pram that was anything other than young or healthy then you need to open your eyes. Have you considered grandparents that may be taking grandchildren to a shopping centre?
                Last edited by Javaphile; 28 March 2013, 12:14 AM. Reason: Offensive language removed

Comment

Let's keep it civil folks.

Java "No personal attacks" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Sorry but being a single parent with young kids the condesending tone of the first post seems to me to be a personnel attack?
                    Mitchell

Comment

I hope it's civil enough to suggest that this post makes you look like someone of very limited insight. As per several comments above, it's not the proximity to the entrance that matters, it's the fact that there is an available parking bay and the extra width that makes the difference. The assumption that parents are all able bodied, only have a pram and one child is out of contact with reality. It most often isn't just a question of a leisurely stroll with a single pram across the car park. Any parent with a pram, a second kid on the loose and a full trolley needs 6 arms just to cope.

Comment

Hey Robusto,

You actually did say you didn't understand and was willing to be educated which shows an openness to constructive reasoning so well done, nothing wrong with an opinion. Before I was a parent I may have seen things the same as you did, in fact i know I did. However now I have kids, getting them out of the car without destroying the surrounding cars is near impossible hence the extra width is great. Add this to late nights, early mornings, crappy nappies, unhappy partners and I say dedicate a supermarket to that parent not just a park (male or female). Seriously though, it is tough trying to shop with kids in tow so parks close to the entrance to help the sanity and surrounding cars is OK with me. And call me soft, considering my wife has to endure this mostly I happy that they make allowances for her and other parents. Also as a fat bastard it makes me walk further which is a good thing....

Cheers Yabba

Comment

I have 2 kids (5 & 2) and I've never even considered parking in one of those spots. Not sure why, I think the stick figure painted on the ground is female and its put me off ;-)

Totally agree with what has been said, it can be difficult maneuvering kids, shopping, case of beer etc. and when you have one thats not in the pram too then its also a fight to keep them from running off.

Robusto, have a couple of kids or procure some for the weekend.... You'll see

Comment

As a parent of 3 young kids I fully understand non-parents thinking this way, I probably did as well. But thinking that all parents are healthy? Maybe if you live in Fitzroy or Balmain, but have you see the average parent in some suburbs? ;-)

Comment

Re: parents with prams priority parking

Id say it has very little to do with being fit and healthy, and everything to do with safely navigating the carpark with a pram. Bear in ming a couple of things:
                              - the ratio of spaces to parents with prams is usually very low
                              - many shopping centres make you pay for a permit to use them
                              - most carparks have no safe footpath area to push a pram (and unlike people on foot, you cant push a pram between cars, over curbs, etc.)

So, why is a fit healthy person without a pram to push, so bothered by it? There are plenty of worse injustices in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X