Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sydney and Melbourne are near the top of the most expensive cities to live in list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney and Melbourne are near the top of the most expensive cities to live in list

The world’s five most expensive cities for 2013 per the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Country City WCOL index (New York=100) Rank
    Japan Tokyo 152 1
    Japan Osaka 146 2
    Australia Sydney 137 3
    Norway Oslo 136 4
    Australia Melbourne 136 4

Java "Pricey!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Melbourne being in the top 5 doesn't surprise me, this year has felt expensive to live in..

All good though, coffee makes me happy

Comment

That's all great, but it is not an affordability index. That is, it is not adjusted for the incomes of the residents of the cities listed. Rather, this index is sometimes used by firms with o/s employees to work out what sort of a wage supplement their employees need. Certainly relevant to tourists as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
        The world’s five most expensive cities for 2013 per the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Country City WCOL index (New York=100) Rank
        Japan Tokyo 152 1
        Japan Osaka 146 2
        Australia Sydney 137 3
        Norway Oslo 136 4
        Australia Melbourne 136 4

Java "Pricey!" phile

Tell us something we were unaware of Java, this is the reason so many Aussie's shop offshore via the internet.

Comment

Melbourne in the top 5 is no surprise, the only surprise being that it's not in the top 2...

most liveable city my butt as well, I wouldn't call it 'liveable' when everything is so expensive... can't afford to 'live' only to 'exist'...

Comment

Ah, good people, quality living comes at a price

But Phrostyboi, why the whinge? Where would you like to live and what do you find expensive here that eats into your wallet?

Comment

Melbourne expensive?? Try living in regional Australia where everything is not only more expensive, but, choice is limited.

Comment

Do you still have 'Abracadabra' in Bangalow? You know 'Biggest Bunch o' baskets under the sun'?

Comment

Originally posted by BangalowBarista View Post
                  Try living in regional Australia where everything is not only more expensive, but, choice is limited.
                  And the quality of life is superior in almost every way.

Comment

Sydney and Melbourne are near the top of the most expensive cities to live in list

Speaking as someone who came to live here about 8 years ago, there's nowhere else in the world that compares. Yes it's friggin expensive here, but you can choose to live an expensive lifestyle or not.

Nowhere is perfect, but Australia is closer to perfect than anywhere else I've been. (And Melbourne especially!)

Comment

I got here about 8 years ago too. My wife lives in Australia so it's worth the money to stay here.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                        Do you still have 'Abracadabra' in Bangalow? You know 'Biggest Bunch o' baskets under the sun'?
                        Sure do, never been in though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          And the quality of life is superior in almost every way.
                          Agreed Yelta. Love the slower pace.

Comment

Originally posted by BangalowBarista View Post
                            Sure do, never been in though.
                            Me neither, but they had this really daggy TV add many years ago......the song still haunts me (I grew up on the North Coast).

Comment

wouldn't call what I have to say a 'whinge', more like being realistic with how expensive melbourne is to live in (or any capitol city for that matter)

rent is higher, rego is higher, insurance is higher, entertainment costs more pretty much everything costs more

in the few occasions i've been out to the country areas everything is generally cheaper than in the city

Comment

Working...
                              X