Ain't this a great look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ain't this a great look.

Perhaps others find this look appealing Meet Georgina McConnell the bodybuilding teen does absolutely nothing for me, in fact it's pretty grotesque.

She doesn't seem to be under any illusions about having mass-appeal. She's doing what she's passionate about and if it makes her happy that's awesome.

Comment

S'up to here I think... I'd be more concerned about what she looked like before and that she wanted to get "thin and toned" - it's a worry that someone looking that good has image issues.

Comment

Welcome to teenage girls...

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
          She doesn't seem to be under any illusions about having mass-appeal. She's doing what she's passionate about and if it makes her happy that's awesome.
          Exactly...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
            S'up to here I think... I'd be more concerned about what she looked like before and that she wanted to get "thin and toned" - it's a worry that someone looking that good has image issues.
            If you're interested:

georginaa's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com
            http://www.saradas.org/index.php?topic=154625.0

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
              Hm... Ghengis Khan was passionate about wiping out anyone who didn't worship him. The Church was extremely passionate about killing anyone who didn't already know about the Love of Jehovah. The US Govt is passionate about invading anyone who doesn't worship the version of Democracy they abandoned about 100 years back.

Are we really sure simply being passionate about programming is a valid measure of what is awesome?

Comment

Hm... Ghengis Khan was passionate about wiping out anyone who didn't worship him. The Church was extremely passionate about killing anyone who didn't already know about the Love of Jehovah. The US Govt is passionate about invading anyone who doesn't worship the version of Democracy they abandoned about 100 years back.

Are we really sure simply being passionate about programming is a valid measure of what is awesome?
                As long as the passion is not at the detriment of others or herself I see no harm. There are much worse things girls her age spend their time doing.

Comment

She's decided she wants to attain a certain physique and level of physical performance. She has had to bring self-motivation and determination to bear over a period of years. That is impressive compared to the way a lot of people live their lives.

If you're going to compare a personal endeavour of self-improvement (as defined by the only person who gets to define it) to genocide then I don't think we can have a constructive conversation.

Comment

Except you aren't reaading WHY she said she started... or maybe you missed the 2nd pic of what she looked like BEFORE she decided to be "thin and toned"? Or perhaps missing the programming that goes on to make healthy people think they need to be something else?

And the only criteria you offered to justify doing what she is "passionate" about was whether there is happiness at the end of it... not what the results are for everyone else. I am fairly sure the ones I quoted were pretty happy about it all while they were getting their way... AND passionate.

Comment

I started going to the gym/running/playing judo for both the health benefits and the aesthetic benefits of being a lithe, slightly muscular person rather than a skinny/lanky dude with no muscle/fat.

There was nothing wrong with me before but that doesn't prohibit me from seeking to improve myself. Not everyone wants to look merely "acceptable" and not everyone judges their worth by their attractiveness to other people.

Ever considered that she wanted to be "slim and toned" for herself rather than because she felt pressured? Maybe that if social acceptance/value was her priority she wouldn't have chosen female bodybuilding; something that is mostly viewed as unattractive?

I'm sick to death of the concept that anyone who seeks to physically improve themselves can only be doing so due to societal pressures. It's a view typically pushed by mediocre people who have their own issues and are more comfortable hanging crap on those they feel are trying to excel than actually facing the fact that they don't feel comfortable in their own skins.

Comment

On the basis of a newspaper article, what can we really know about her circumstances? Ultimately we're responsible for our own behaviour...she doesn't appear to be hurting anyone else, and she appears to be doing less harm to herself than many young girls. I'm with Saoye. The curious analogies to the behaviour of Genghis Khan are.....well......curious to say the least.

Comment

First she didn't say 'slim and toned' she said 'thin and toned' - it is quoted in the article so that normally means it is her words.

I was merely pointing out also that she was already slim and healthy in appearance so wanting to be thin as her primary goal (she only developed the love of weights etc. AFTER some time) is indicative of a distinctly unhealthy self-image issue. She might have worked through it using weights, but thousands don't.

I simply used examples to show others who would be passionate and happy that would highlight that those criteria are not necessarily a valid measure for whether something is a good thing to do. Not sure what the issue is with the technique - it is a normal conversational method to show the implications behind what is being said.

Comment

Wonder if she ever read this, or similar Anabolic steroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia about the long term affects of using Anabolic steroids?

Comment

Your assumption is that she is taking drugs. Hardwork and persistence, eating right will give the same results.

Comment

Working...
                              X