No announcement yet.

Wine for CoffeeSnobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys, recommend some commercially-available Chardonnays for me - up to the $15. mark.
    I can't drink dry whites any more. Rieslings and Sav.Blancs are out.
    I like big woody Chardys that are packed with fruit and flavour.
    Not interested in elegant dry styles.

Comment

• Andy
      Andy commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there another colour wine?
      Well, ya learn something every day.

• Originally posted by Rocky View Post
    Hi Guys, recommend some commercially-available Chardonnays for me - up to the $15. mark.
    I can't drink dry whites any more. Rieslings and Sav.Blancs are out.
    I like big woody Chardys that are packed with fruit and flavour.
    Not interested in elegant dry styles.
    Your post whetted my appetite. I've usually gone mainstream if I'm going for a white e.g. Wolf Blass,Penfolds.
    However, wandered into Dan Murphy's today and noticed this in the bargain bin for $8 (usually sells for $12). I've tried a few Chilean wines and haven't been disappointed, findi g them rather drinkable. Not sure if it fits in the with your elegant dry style descriptor but it is a little dry. Certainly some interesting fruit and muted wood flavours. If you are after something unusual, definitely give this one a try.

Comment

• Thanks Flynn. I have seen this on the shelves and have never given it a try. I will do so now.
      Last time in Uncle Dan's I bought a couple of these. A bit more than I like to pay for a quaffer but today I drank one and it totally justifies the price.
      This is the kind of Chardy I am looking for. Not too dry and lots of fruit with a touch of oak.
      What the Company says about it:
      Warmer ferment in 300L French barrique barrels (20-25% new) which adds complexity & texture to the wine.
      A portion of the wine is wild yeast fermented to add a bit of interest. The balance is fermented using classic Chardonnay yeasts.
      A portion goes through malolactic fermentation to balance the overall fermentation, this adds textural elements, complex aromas and balances the acidity.
      Matured in predominately French oak hogsheads and puncheons and 1000L German oak Fuder barrels for 10 months. Oak age is a mix between one, two and three year old with the balance older. This selection is to ensure the wine has subtle oak character which allows the fruit to shine.

Comment

• Happy Birthday Paula (last week), a present from Zed (but I got to share it)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patrick2014.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	835875

...and Paula got one from Sarah too (which I also got to share last night)

Name:	Montara2017.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	835876

Both were rippers, deep, dark, heavy black/purple Shiraz.
        Stewed plums and blackberries and didn't want either bottle to finish.

I got a couple of bottles for my birthday a month ago but forgot to take a picture for this thread and darn, can't remember what they were but they were enjoyed a lot.

There are some stunning Aussie wines out there, we are all spoilt for choice.

Comment

• Dimal
          Dimal commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy Birthday Paula....
          Wines sound awesome.

• Was shuffling wine around from cupboards to rack etc. and found this one.
        Thought we'd better do the right thing and drink it tonight.
        It seems to all be gone now

Name:	20200725_191150.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	835881

Comment

• Couldn't agree more, Andy. I see it as my sacred duty to consume as much great local wine as I can before I go to the great wine cellar in the sky.
          You fellas in the Southern States are fortunate to be right in the middle of it all with the smaller wineries as well as the big guys.
          Those look like a couple of beauties.
          Fatboy, that's like finding $20. in an old jacket.

Comment

• Went to a family lunch yesterday and overindulged a bit (food, not wine) - had coffee and birthday cake immediately after lunch and then went on to drink some more of the Chardonnay mentioned above, so that I needed to skip dinner. Stomach feels better today so I felt I should open my last bottle of the 2012 Campbells of Rutherglen 'Bobbie Burns' Shiraz.
            I originally bought several bottles of this but found that I had mixed up two vintages, the 2012 & 2013, and then compounded the issue by drinking most of the 2013 when it was the better vintage of the two and I should have been working on the 2012. First-World problems.
            Anyhow I am currently quaffing the 2012 and even without a chance to breathe it is nice. I am clogging up my Coronary Arteries with a bit of Jarlsberg and some Blue Cheese and Rosemary Wheaten Crackers.

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              Love Bobbie Burns and Campbell's Tokay and Muscat are sublime. One of my all-time favorite wineries, every bottle is a winner. I also love Chambers Rosewood and Taminick Cellers in that area but they produce stuff harder to find in the wild (but don't tell anyone, they'll be harder to get)

• Barry O'Speedwagon
              Barry O'Speedwagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeh, I get a box of wine twice a year from two to the Rutherglen wineries (Buller and Cofields), but still have a bit of a stash of 2006 Bobbie Burns (somwhere?) , and a few of Bill Chambers' flagons of muscat. Another one to look for (for table wines) is Warrabilla....great shiraz.

• Yes, Andy, don't even mention their Fortifieds - I salivate at the mention!

Saturday evening. Seafood Pizza in the oven, Jethro Tull on the player. Have listened to The Beatles "Revolver", R.E.M. "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" and the Stones "Tattoo You" to come.
            Have been drinking the first bottle of the 2015 'Penley Estate' Coonawarra Atlas Shiraz that I picked up from Uncle Dan's on the 'throw-out' table. This is fabulous wine. Wish I had cases of it.

Comment

• Asher Shiraz 2018 Heathcote
              Maybe this could do with hiding for a couple of years but this is too nice not to open.
              Picked-up a couple for $15/ea, cheap enough that you felt guilty as you skip out the bottolo with a grin.

Name:	Asher-Shiraz-2018.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	837098

Comment

• These days, even the younger wines are good drinking straight off the shelf (not like in my youth). I always give them a bit of time to breathe ( pour a glass, put the cap back on and shake the bottle to get a bit of air through the wine) I only intentionally cellar wine that I think has the potential to improve significantly - otherwise why bother. (Usually in the >$20. range)
                I know what you mean about feeling like you stole it. I felt that way about the Penley. Sometimes you take a punt on a wine and get lucky. I'll often buy one bottle, open it that night, and then go back and buy the rest the next day.
                The 'Asher' gets good reviews. Here is another Heathcote Shiraz that I often enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                X