Home brew beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home brew beer

Just thought I would share one of my other hobbies, brewing beer. I'm not a big drinker but I love the taste of my own beer. This particular brew is a " New world " pale ale brew mix from the Grape and Grain brewery supply store in Yarraville, Victoria. It's an American style pale ale with a mouthful of aromatic hops and a nice medium malt flavor. I made this in January and it has aged perfectly. is there any other Snobs out there that brew and can share their favourite brew?

Cheers,

Dan

I'll upload a photo once it lets me!

Comment

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...ipe-ideas.html

Java "Tastes great!....Less filling!" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I'm an occasional brewer. Just bought a kit from Country Brewer: an American Pale Ale wetpack. Should be like Little Creatures, I hope.

Comment

Not beer, but I've been known to brew Mead on a fairly regular basis (though it's been a while)...

Comment

Sounds good to me ajayro57, let me know how it turns out!

Comment

I have never tried mead but I've always been curious.... What does it taste like?

Comment

Currently playing about with kits + steeped grains. Looking at getting some kit to do some all grains. My winter bevvy of choice this year:

1x3KG ESB Extra Special Stout; 200gm simpsons choccie malt steeped in 2l boiling water (turn off for 2 then add the grain) for 20 minutes, strain off the grain, top to 18L, ferment away, bottle leave for 8 weeks and enjoy.

Show to mates, mates ask you to make another batch... repeat.

Just finishing modifying a bar fridge with temp controls to give me stable temperatures, currently out of bottles but have a Russian Imperial Planned (do now for next winter) then I'll do something similar to Home | Coopers .

Mind you the BYIB looks reasonably easy - just got to get a boil kettle and a block and tackle - I may attempt something like the above but all grain.

Comment

Yeah, I've been using similar kits. I want to take the next step of brew in the bag too but I just don't have the room at the moment. I did a class on how to do it and it comes out great. The stout sounds good, I love dark beers. Hmm maybe a Sunday beer is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by dans1982 View Post
                    I made this in January and it has aged perfectly. is there any other Snobs out there that brew and can share their favourite brew?
                    Hey Dan,

it's been a few years since I did my last home brew, but i certainly remember the satisfaction of making my own.

And like wine, home brew matures in the bottle. A few months ago I found a golden ale I had brewed in 2006 - beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by malliemcg View Post

Mind you the BYIB looks reasonably easy - just got to get a boil kettle and a block and tackle - I may attempt something like the above but all grain.
                      All grain is the way to go. I'd love a fully plumbed mash tun, and kettle, but BIAB works well, and just needs one nice big pot. I wrap my pot in a yoga mat for mashing, and it maintains the temp very well. Never bothered with a block and tackle though.

I haven't brewed for a few years, but might do another one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                        All grain is the way to go. I'd love a fully plumbed mash tun, and kettle, but BIAB works well, and just needs one nice big pot. I wrap my pot in a yoga mat for mashing, and it maintains the temp very well. Never bothered with a block and tackle though.

I haven't brewed for a few years, but might do another one soon.
                        Tis the season!

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
                          Hey Dan,

it's been a few years since I did my last home brew, but i certainly remember the satisfaction of making my own.

And like wine, home brew matures in the bottle. A few months ago I found a golden ale I had brewed in 2006 - beautiful!
                          2006 vintage sounds good! I did a Chimay Blue 2 years ago and just gets better and better the longer I leave it.

Comment

How funny, I have been fairly heavily into all grain home brewing (BIAB) and Grain and Grape are my local store too!

My favourite brews "of all time" that I made were a belgian witbier (Hoegaarden style clone) and a black imperial IPA (affectionately known as the "PantsHitter"). I tended to use clone recipes found off the internet and adapt to own tastes/equipment. Our other crowning glory was an 18% barleywine made in 2011 (on a larger 3 vessel setup). Took 3 months to ferment using 3 different yeasts. Is still ageing well after 4 years!

I haven't brewed in a while as my mates opened up their own microbrewery (7 cent brewery), so tend to get my brewing fix out there!

Comment

Originally posted by dans1982 View Post
                              I have never tried mead but I've always been curious.... What does it taste like?
                              Depends on what you put in it

I've only ever made "straight" mead once, back in the early days, didn't turn out so well, but then I was using crappy honey. Most of what I brew is Melomels (fruit base), best batch I've had so far is a Pomegranate Melomel, built on Orange Blossom honey, was very tasty (after 3 years of aging), dangerous stuff though, ~12.5% alcohol and goes down REALLY easily...

Most recent batch was a Metheglin (spice base), first attempt, it was a Chocolate Metheglin (using Ghana Cocoa supplied by Andy ), sadly though my yeast wasn't viable and I lost the batch to Lactobacillus contamination

Since I've moved I now need to find a new yeast supplier, after that's sorted I've got a bucket of honey waiting...

Comment

Working...
                              X