Spice grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spice grinder?

Can anyone offer advice on a good spice grinder? The Sunbeam blade type are hopeless with some spice seeds. Does anyone have experience on a good hand grinder that might be worth the investment?
    thanks

Mortar and Pestle is probably the most recommended for this purpose and is what I see most serious cooks use...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal. Yes the mortar is good for most spices. My difficulty is with whole fenugreek seeds. NOTHING seems to crush them. Plus RSI when doing a fair amount of spices. I wondered if my porlex ceramic grinder would handle it. Will give it a try and if it does get a second spice dedicated one. Whirling blades are useless on Fenugreek as well

Comment

Have you tried pounding them Graeme?

Put a tea-towel over the mortar/pestle to catch any errant micro-missiles and then pound away...

Mal.

Comment

With fenugreek you really need to smash em flat, grinding around won't do it. When making mixes for curries these days i normally put the mixture through a sieve after a little while to seperate the hard bits out - too much in the mortar cushions the rest

I find some of the RSI can also be avoided by letting the weight of the pestle do the work for you. Just guide it while 'throwing' it down

Comment

Thanks burr, using a sieve is a great idea. Will give it a go.

Comment

I saw people grinding spices using a skerton....

I dont think they should use it for coffee after that......

Comment

That's certain to add some peppery notes to your next cup! A dedicated grinder might work well, but I would be worried some of the harder spices might cause damage... especially with the ceramic burrs in the skerton.

Comment

Working...
                X