Now, this has to be exciting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, this has to be exciting...

I've seen a couple of doco's of this guy and how he got started...

This is definitely a big improvement on back then...

Mal.

No kidding Mal! It's been great fun watching him progress over the years improving his design. I've sssooooooooooo envied him buzzing around up there!

Java "Awesome!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yes mate...

Amazing what this bloke has done. Imagine the guts needed to try this out for the very first time. Worth it now though, must be a hell of a lot of fun...

Mal.

Comment

How does he land?

Comment

Parachute.

There's at least 2 and possibly 3 different parachutes on the system. His main and a backup in case it fails. He also has an emergency 'ejection' system that he can activate if he looses control. When activated he is separated from the wing/machinery and it has a chute that is deployed and his chute is also deployed. It's not clear if the wing/machinery's chute is the same one as his secondary or if it's a separate third chute.

He's had to use the ejection system at least once. On his Gibraltar crossing there was an equipment problem which sent him into a dive, right into a dense layer of clouds. He thought he had recovered from the dive and was flying level....until he broke through the clouds in a virtually vertical dive straight at the water. Which was far too close for comfort.

Java "EJECT!!! EJECT!!! EJECT!!!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
          X