https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vEIdA2wLTk

Sad day.
    What a unique voice.
    Thanks for the memories Joe.

Comment

Sad news.

R.I.P.

Comment

What a great performer. Such a significant part of my rocknroll youth. Mad Dogs and Englishmen got plenty of play in that time: With a Little Help, Hitchcock Railway, Delta Lady
        This would have to be his signature performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk

Comment

RIP Joe - pretty good for a "Pub Singer".

Comment

Definitely 'one of a kind'....

Love you Joe.

Mal.

Comment

One of my fondest college memories from 1976 was when I turned my new stereo up to the max....and I blew out my speakers with the beginning of "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"....memories....thanks Joe....you are missed already.

Comment

Hitchcock railway
                feelin alright (my introduction to jc)
                delta lady

wonderful singer. I did imagine him to be African American when i listened to him for the first time. Lots of punch & soul.

Comment

I was very sad to hear of Joe's death.
                  He has been a constant companion for more than 40 years and I feel as though I have 'grown old with him'.
                  He lived a lot longer than either he or we thought he would, but he lived until he died.
                  I loved the passion and feeling that Joe poured into a song and I guess that was made possible by not only a sensitive personality but by the authenticity of his life in general.
                  His legacy is a body of work that will stand at the pinnacle of blues-rock forever.
                  R.I.P. Joe Cocker.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
                    This would have to be his signature performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk
                    Thanks for sharing that fantastic link. Listening to it, I literally got goose bumps (do you have that expression in Aus?)

Comment

Affirmative.

Comment

Motivated me to look through the LP collection...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cocker_0583x_L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	738323

Comment

Joe got off to an ordinary start with me....as my dad insisted on playing 'Up Where We Belong' repeatedly on family car trips when I was about 16. Then 2 years later, a bloke who went on to become a medium-level rock star himself lent me Joe's cover of 'With a Little Help...'. Vale, Joe.

Comment

I always felt fortunate to have 'discovered' Joe at the start of his career.
                            The first album of any sort that I bought was the vinyl "Cocker Happy".

I still play it regularly. It was a hell of an album with the following tracks:
                            "Hitchcock Railway" "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" "Marjorine" "She's So Good to Me" "Hello Little Friend" "With a Little Help from My Friends" Delta Lady" "Darling Be Home Soon" "Do I Still Figure in Your Life" "Feelin' Alright" "Something's Coming On" "The Letter" .

Anything Joe sang always sounded better to me than anyone else singing the same song, and I think most people agreed which explained his success.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                              I always felt fortunate to have 'discovered' Joe at the start of his career.
                              The first album of any sort that I bought was the vinyl "Cocker Happy"
                              I never owned this album but lots of other people I knew then did and it was regularly on the turntable and the radio (it was a chart topper).

You re right about his superior cover versions s and I imagine there are plenty of songwriters who became rich (or richer) after Joe performed their songs. He actually wrote or co-wrote a few songs of his own Marjorine and High Time We Went are two notable songs that Joe had a hand in.

Comment

Working...
                              X