Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a new Lenovo PC lately? If so, read this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new Lenovo PC lately? If so, read this...

As the title says, new purchasers of Lenovo PCs should really read this...
    Lenovo PCs ship with man-in-the-middle adware that breaks HTTPS connections [Updated] | Ars Technica

Mal.

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    As the title says, new purchasers of Lenovo PCs should really read this...
    Lenovo PCs ship with man-in-the-middle adware that breaks HTTPS connections [Updated] | Ars Technica

Mal.
    Thanks Mal,

I bought my wife a Lenovo G50-70 last December and it was one of the laptops listed as possibly being infected with "Superfish" but I checked it out and it's all clear. Good to know :-)

Comment

Morning Mal,

Not only Lenovo come with this stuff, I recently bought an Asus laptop, the biggest problem I ran into was the bloody bloatware, mostly related to shopping and promoting Asus and MS products.

Most of it can be deleted/uninstalled, however there is a percentage that cannot and won't be removed regardless, a nuisance more than anything.

PS other than the unwanted crap its a pretty good machine, they certainly have come down in price, paid approx $700, not bad for a machine with reasonable specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        Most of it can be deleted/uninstalled, however there is a percentage that cannot and won't be removed regardless, a nuisance more than anything.
        There shouldn't be any that can't be removed... That said, if you're right, it's nothing a fresh OS install won't fix. Shouldn't be necessary in the first place, but the option's there (and it's not particularly onerous on a new computer).

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          Morning Mal,

Not only Lenovo come with this stuff, I recently bought an Asus laptop, the biggest problem I ran into was the bloody bloatware, mostly related to shopping and promoting Asus and MS products.

PS other than the unwanted crap its a pretty good machine, they certainly have come down in price, paid approx $700, not bad for a machine with reasonable specs.
          There are many free uninstallers that do a forced removal. eg geek uninstaller

GeekUninstaller | GeekUninstaller

Comment

Originally posted by barri View Post
            There are many free uninstallers that do a forced removal. eg geek uninstaller

GeekUninstaller | GeekUninstaller
            I'm not saying this is a trojan/rootkit, but downloading random .exes from unvetted sources and running them with admin privileges (at least, when they aren't open source and haven't been analysed) is a great way to load worse crap on than what Yelta/Mal are trying to remove.

Comment

Superfish removal tool from Lenovo: Superfish Uninstall Instructions - Lenovo Support (US)

Java "Hhhmmm....Fish for dinner!" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                I'm not saying this is a trojan/rootkit, but downloading random .exes from unvetted sources and running them with admin privileges (at least, when they aren't open source and haven't been analysed) is a great way to load worse crap on than what Yelta/Mal are trying to remove.
                This isn't a random exe. In the IT field, which I'm in, geek is a well known product. Another well know program is CCleaner which also uninstalls. Yes you have to be careful with unknown programs but I wouldn't have recommended these if they were risky. Mal and Yelta, go forth and uninstall.

Comment

This isn't a random exe. In the IT field, which I'm in, geek is a well known product. Another well know program is CCleaner which also uninstalls. Yes you have to be careful with unknown programs but I wouldn't have recommended these if they were risky. Mal and Yelta, go forth and uninstall.
                  Fair enough; I only brought it up because I've never heard of it and couldn't quickly find any discussion of it on sites/communities that I would expect to. Not knowing your history/credentials or those of the product, I thought warning was appropriate.

Comment

Mal and Yelta, go forth and uninstall.
                    I don't own a current Lenovo laptop, but being a Geek (as well ), I frequent several online computer communities where this nasty was reported in on one of them. Just thought it would be a good idea to raise awareness of its existence here in CS....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                    X