Solar Impulse 2's around the world flight attempt - Live streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Impulse 2's around the world flight attempt - Live streaming

Currently on the 4th leg of their solar powered journey around the world the Solar Impulse team is live streaming tons of data from the aircraft: flight controls, flight instruments, aircraft orientation, and more. Cockpit video and text chat with the pilot is sometimes available as well.

Enjoy! Solar Impulse RTW - 4th Leg from Varanasi to Mandalay

Java "Don't ya love tech!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Solar 2 is now on the longest leg of their around the world attempt, the flight from Nanjing, China to Hawaii. This leg will take 5 days and 5 nights of non-stop flight. The plane is currently 115km into the 9,030km flight.

Java "All charged up!" phile

Comment

Unfortunately a cold front has moved faster than expected and grown in size and intensity more than predicted. This front will prevent SI2 from landing in Hawaii on day 5. Accordingly they are diverting to Nagoya, Japan where they expect to land in a few hours.

Java "Better safe than sorry!" phile

Comment

And SI2 is safely on the ground in Nagoya, Japan.

Java "Sushi time!" phile

Comment

SI2 is off on another attempt at the Pacific crossing. For whatever reasons the team is 'keeping it quiet'. The launch, now 4 hours ago, has not been posted to their Facebook or tracking page. As such live data is not yet available. Apparently they have until 8 hours into the flight to make the final go or no-go call. I suspect that they will announce and start streaming once the go decision is made.

Next stop....(Fingers crossed!)....Hawaii!

Java "Up, up and away..." phile

Comment

All data streams are active including the live cockpit video feed. The decision to go has been made with the formal announcement expected in about 25 minutes.

Java "Hawaii here we come!" phile

Comment

With over 4,000km now having been flown Solar Impulse is well past the halfway point on the flight to Hawaii. Here's to hoping the 2nd half goes as well as the first half!

Java "Go SI go!" phile

Comment

And yet another World Record falls. With over 76 hours flying time Andre/SI2 has broken the old record for the longest non-stop solo flight without refueling.

Java "Looking good Mr. B!" phile

Comment

Actually... when you think about it, with its solar panels it is continually refueling during daylight hours

Just sayin'

Comment

Landing in Hawaii is scheduled for 1600UTC July 3. Live streaming continues at Solar Impulse RTW - 8th Leg from Nagoya to Hawaii

Java "Gotta watch!" phile

Comment

After 4 days, 21 hours, and 50 some odd minutes in the air SI2 is safely on the ground in Hawaii!

Java "Well done Andre and the entire SI2 team!" phile

Comment

Wow!!!

What an amazing effort, in every way. Superb, and thank you JP for the updates...

Mal.

Comment

An amazing effort indeed Mal. In total I hear they've broken/set 5 Records.

The verified records I've seen are:
                          • The previously mentioned longest non-stop solo flight without refueling.
                          • The longest distance covered in a non-stop manned solar flight.
                          • The longest time spent in the air in a non-stop manned solar flight.

Scanning the various records it seems like another record they've set is: The longest time spent in the air in a non-stop solo flight in any airplane with or without refueling.

What the 5th one is I have no idea at this point. If you run across it please post it up!

Java "Halfway around!" phile

Comment

Solar Impulse 2's around the world flight has been put on hold until 2016. During its record breaking flight from Japan to Hawaii its batteries suffered some damage and it will not be possible to repair/replace them before their weather window for crossing the US and the Atlantic closes. Accordingly the plane will remain in Hawaii to undergo repairs with the journey resuming around April 2016.

Java "Better safe than sorry!" phile

Comment

Yes, definitely gotta fly safe....

Bummer with the battery overheating issue though. Just goes to show, no matter how carefully a bunch of very clever engineers try to cover every design contingency, it is always possible for something to come back and bite you once you put something to the test. Of course, this is the very purpose of the entire exercise, to stretch the boundaries and see what is possible...

Love it,
                              Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X