Beware of "Fan Death"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of "Fan Death"...

There sure are some very strange Urban Myths out there, and this is one of 'em...
    Fan Death - An Urban Legend

Mal.

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    There sure are some very strange Urban Myths out there, and this is one of 'em...
    Fan Death - An Urban Legend

Mal.
    Hey Mal... I lived in Korea for 3.5 years and spent 10 days in a hospital there (due to a nasty spider bite) and it was hot and humid yet they refused to allow me to use a fan fearing I may become a victim of fan death. Interestingly enough, Dr John Linton quoted in the article you cited was my doctor at the time. Small world.

And... for what it's worth... fan death is just as ridiculous as it sounds.

Comment

Sounds like their treatment worked, Vinitasse.

Comment

When I read the title I was thinking maybe the fan blades fly off and chop you to pieces but the real explanation is much more bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          When I read the title I was thinking maybe the fan blades fly off and chop you to pieces but the real explanation is much more bizarre.
          I'd assumed they were talking about the unfortunate spectator at the Stones concert - 'Sympathy for the Devil'/'Under my Thumb' thing.

Comment

And here all these years I thought 'Death from above' was talking about paratroops/bombings when it actually referred to ceiling fans!

Java "Slept with 4 fans running last night to prove them wro.....<thud>
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

They actually mean pretty much any fan. I asked one of the nurses at the hospital what she was on about when she refused to let me use a fan and she explained that fans blew the oxygen away from your face as you slept. She wasn't interested in hearing that fans simply weren't capable of separating the oxygen from our nitrogen rich air and promptly took my fan away.

Comment

It's amazing what such a well educated society can talk itself into believing...

Mal.

Comment

It's 'Witch-Doctor' stuff, isn't it. You could write a horror movie around the premise. Lights go out, fan sucks the soul out of the body....

Comment

Working...
                  X