Repurposing your old percolator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repurposing your old percolator

Looking for a use if that old percolator sitting around collecting dust? Use it to cook rice to reduce its' arsenic level.

Who, What, Why: Is it safer to cook rice in a coffee percolator to avoid arsenic? - BBC News

PLOS ONE: Rethinking Rice Preparation for Highly Efficient Removal of Inorganic Arsenic Using Percolating Cooking Water

Java "Perk what?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Two links to the same article! Someone's a little stressed! Of course you can remove a certain amount of undesirables from rice if you follow instructions on the bag to rinse it for the prescribed period of time. This is mostly to remove excess starch, but a good rinse will help remove some toxins as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
      Two links to the same article! Someone's a little stressed!
      Uuuummmm.....No. The first link is to a non-scientific news report on the topic for those who are just interested in a brief summary. The 2nd link is to the actual research paper for those who want a more in depth look at the details of the scientific basis behind the claim/statement.

Java "A brief news story != a scientific research paper" phile

Comment

Ah yes, it's working now. For some reason both links were taking me to the first article last night. Probably a Tapatalk problem rather than a CS issue. Good old Tapatalk.

Comment

"Rice is by far our dominant source of inorganic arsenic,"

Wow, the things you learn on CoffeeSnobs.
          I've always thought of rice as fairly inert, safe and clean.

I would guess that any "rice cooker" that used steam instead of just boiling the rice in water would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            I would guess that any "rice cooker" that used steam instead of just boiling the rice in water would be good too.
            Yup! Steaming is a good way to do it also. Using a high volume water bath that gets thrown out is apparently the best way. So far anyways.

Java "Gotta love learning!" phile

Comment

Is it only me that noticed they were using a dripolator, not a percolator?

A percolator (yes I still have an old National / Panasonic) keeps recycling the water through the (metal) basket continuously, whereas a dripolator is a "one shot flowing process" usually through a paper filter (hence the "pourover" nickname). IF that experiment had been done with a percolator you could have left it until the rice was cooked. Mind you, recycling the water would possibly not remove as much arsenic.

Interesting article Java"as usual"phile.

TampIt

Comment

Working...
              X