Removing that annoying "get windows 10 message"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing that annoying "get windows 10 message"

I'm sick of "Get Window 10 message, I want it gone.

I tried at first playing nice and removing update KB 3035583, This didn't work for me. Because MS seem to be pushing the update multiple times as I've had to hide two different versions of the same KB update. So it will probably just keep coming back.

So after some research I discovered the program is contained in
    C:\windows\system32\GWX. Delete the folder? - not easy because MS has assigned system privileges to the folder.

So you need to change the permissions of the GWX folder

On the C:\Windows\System32\GWX folder properties
    Go to security and click advanced
    Then go to the owner tab and click edit. It should automatically have Administrators and your username in there,
    Click your username and near the bottom check the box that says replace owner on subcontainers then click OK.
    Then go to the permissions tab on the advanced security settings Click change permissions then click Add and add your username Check the Full control box and click OK.
    Then check the Replace all child object permissions and click OK Then OK on the advanced security settings window and close the folder properties window. Now you can delete or rename it.

I chose to rename the folder to GWXNOT. Which destroys the windows path and effectively kills the message. If I ever want Win 10, the folder can be renamed again and update offer re-instated.
    Other may decide to delete the folder and files completely.

DISCLAIMER: This worked for me on Win 7 /64. It should work on
    Win7 /32 and all versions of Win 8. But the procedure is done at you own risk without any guarantee of not causing other problems.

Enjoy......

Nice fix :-)
    I have been reading on slashdot about MS now disabling 3rd party apps that stop the upgrade being pushed on users. It will now remind users twice a day.

Does not affect me - I just updated my Linux Debian machines a few minutes ago to patch some png, ssl and openssh server bugs. I still have though my Windows XP that runs Coffee Snobs software :-)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike View Post
      Nice fix :-)
      I have been reading on slashdot about MS now disabling 3rd party apps that stop the upgrade being pushed on users. It will now remind users twice a day.

Does not affect me - I just updated my Linux Debian machines a few minutes ago to patch some png, ssl and openssh server bugs. I still have though my Windows XP that runs Coffee Snobs software :-)

Mike
      XP is not considered by M$ to be on the free upgrade list AFAIK and should be immune to the hassle. But hot fixes and security have stooped, so it best to ditch it IMO.

I run linux mint under VMware on my win 7 machine . When using linux I use Opera as a browser.

You should able to do the same under Debian and access the CS forum using Opera. You can also get a version of Firefox for linux, which probably is nicer to use.

Comment

I'm heading back to Linux when support for Win7 and 8.1 finally stops.
        Been using it on one of my laptops for some time, so reasonably au fait and comfortable using it...

Still need at least Win7 for a lot of my app's but happy to stop Net access when the time comes.

Mal.

Comment

My main is app is Matlab.

Available for Linux, but I just can't be bothered changing over. I've used Windows since V3.0. And DOS since V5 before that.

The business and commercial work uses Windows

And I use Win7/64 which is fast and stable.

Support for Window allegedly stops in 2020 odd. But it's sure to linger for quite a while afterwards. I'll worry about potential problems closer to that date.

Comment

I've used Windows since they invented the sash. Never really believed that the casement was an upgrade but every other bloke was doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
              I've used Windows since they invented the sash. Never really believed that the casement was an upgrade but every other bloke was doing it.
              The 64 bit versions of windows really are a step forward. Because you are no longer limited to 4 gig of managed Ram as in XP 32bit.

Stick in 16 gb of ram and an ssd and you will see windows run really fast and boot in less 15 seconds!

I'm still using win 7 pro /64 and have no intention of changing.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...its_windows_xp

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...mits_windows_7

Comment

Originally posted by rrm View Post
                I'm sick of "Get Window 10 message, I want it gone.

[COLOR=#333333]I tried at first playing nice and removing update KB 3035583, This didn't work for me.
                You must be running a Vesuvius...

Comment

Not really, just a pretty PC with well chosen components.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.151230-0600)
                  Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
                  System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
                  System Model:
                  BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/31/12 09:33:10 Ver: 04.06.05
                  Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
                  Memory: 16384MB RAM
                  Available OS Memory: 16346MB RAM
                  Page File: 3136MB used, 29553MB available
                  Windows Dir: C:\Windows
                  DirectX Version: DirectX 11
                  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
                  User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
                  System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
                  DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                  DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
                  ---------------
                  Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
                  Manufacturer: NVIDIA
                  Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
                  DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
                  Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1180&SUBSYS_28331462&REV_A1
                  Display Memory: 4037 MB
                  Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
                  Shared Memory: 2048 MB
                  Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
                  Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
                  Monitor Model: BenQ G2420HD
                  Monitor Id: BNQ7840
                  Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

------------

Comment

Microsoft bringing out more BIG sticks...
                    Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10 | Ars Technica

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                      Microsoft bringing out more BIG sticks...
                      Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10 | Ars Technica

Mal.
                      So what, I have a least three I7s PC hanging around. So hardware compatibility ain't going to be an issue.

Frankly I see this as scare tactics because at OS nuts and bolts level there is very little difference between Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10 of course I'm talking X64 versions.

In fact, I have Win 10 running under VMware as a guest running under Win7 host . I did this as a tryout so I could non invasively
                      install Win 10. It just sits there, and boots when selected, along with Linux Mint and few of the other superseded M$ OSs. Which are there to run outdated software or test something.

And I've already hacked Cortana from Win 10 in Win 7 pro. About the only worthwhile feature I've found in Win 10 to date.

Win 10 is too social media oriented for my liking. Especially the default wireless network sharing settings.
                      How to kill Wi-Fi password sharing in Windows 10 - CNET

The users who want an OS as tool are likely to stick with Win7 IMO.

So I can't see a problem at the moment unless M$ deliberately sabotage later versions so they won't run on older hardware, even then, there will be someone who builds a "patch" - it just a matter of knowing where to look for it.

When all else fails I will default to linux mint, but will learn to hate it, because I've used Windows for over 45 years and kinda feel at home by now. Not to mention replacing a few decades of collected software.

If push comes to shove I can pickup a pencil and Calculator (as I did in the early days) and use an Android phone or tablet for browsing.

So there are lots of options . Windows ceasing is likely to be a challenge rather than a problem I think.

And Barry O'Speedwagon, Window 10 is not like Double Glazing

Comment

The big push to Windows 10 is because Microsoft is seeing falling sales of their OS's and with Windows 10 they are moving to a Google/Facebook type financial model where their income is generated from selling information about their users to other companies rather than from direct sales of the OS. MS wants this new revenue stream to start producing as fast as possible.

Originally posted by rrm View Post
                        I've used Windows for over 45 years and kinda feel at home by now.
                        I'd be interested in hearing about the Windows you used between 1970 and 1985. The earliest Windows I know of was Windows 1.0 whose development was started in 1981 under a different name and was announced in November of 1983 under the name Windows 1.0 and was then subsequently publicly released 30 years ago in November 1985.

Java "History is so much fun" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing about the Windows you used between 1970 and 1985. The earliest Windows I know of was Windows 1.0 whose development was started in 1981 under a different name and was announced in November of 1983 under the name Windows 1.0 and was then subsequently publicly released 30 years ago in November 1985.
                          So true JP, an un-intentional subtraction error when calculating decades. During the 70's we were using the DOS series of OSs and running in a text based environment.

Although a few of us may have been using IBM PS/2 and later OS/2 (1987)

"Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana

Comment

For those interested, Microsoft has an article on their support website on how to deal with Windows 10 upgrade: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 .

Comment

Originally posted by roburu View Post
                              For those interested, Microsoft has an article on their support website on how to deal with Windows 10 upgrade: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 .
                              I tried that first. It doesn't work long term (For W7 PRO anyway). Every live update installed re initializes "Get Windows 10".

Would you honestly expect M$ to be fully upfront.

The method I've detailed has killed the message for the last 5 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X