Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a good cheap bread toaster

Hi

I'm on a low income, so I can't afford to spend that much on a toaster, preferably no more than about $50. I saw this toaster on the KMart web site

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/4-sl...toaster/921953

Would this be good or should I look at another toaster? I want something that can take thick slices of bread as well as crumpets. I want something that is reliably safe to use and won't stop working after too short a time. I prefer a toaster that can do 4 slices.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pamount; 8 July 2016, 02:19 AM.

That toaster looks good, what grinder are you pairing it with

Comment

Personally I'd steer clear of the k-mart home-brand stuff - looks like cheap junk to me. Might be the only time I'll recommend Sunbeam or Breville on this forum

I have a pretty basic Breville that's over 10 years old and still working fine; the 4-slice version is on sale at Myer for $50.95 at the moment...

Comment

Our breville goes good as well. Make sure you use bread that's within 3 weeks of bake date, some people freeze it but it's not the same, probably best for a different thread.

Comment

Get the best Breville you can afford particularly visit the Breville outlet because their prices are fantastic

Comment

Don't buy a Morphy Richards, made the mistake of buying one about 12 months ago after reading a good review, big mistake.

Comment

Agree with the breville toaster recommendation. We got the model (about $50) that has the 'a bit more' function and the 'lift and look' both awesome features that I wouldn't do without. I'd steer clear of the cheapies too. With the 'bit more' function you'll save on wasted toast thats gone way too far because you forgot it!

the 'Bit More' | Breville

This is it.

Comment

Another vote for Breville.
                Had a 4 slice toaster of theirs for a number of years. I think the current equivalent is called 'Lift and Look'.
                Be wary though, they have some models that they want $100-$150 for. You don't need that.
                Should be able to get the base model for around $50. HN have one for $62 at present (4 slice).
                Appliances online list one for $48 or a 2 slice for $43.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll look at Breville and even Sunbeam, they seem not much more than the price of that KMart one I linked too.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Gumtree or supporting charity stores. I rarely buy anything from retail stores if I can help it.

eg $550 for new in box BES920 (unwanted wedding present). Yesterday $10 for $100 worth of new rock climbing gear (going overseas).

Lots of bargains out there if you're prepared to hunt them down.

Easier to walk into K-mart though

Comment

If you're near Collingwood there's the breville outlet in Smith St

Comment

Yeah, we have a K-Mart toaster, the first one we had a short in it, tripped our breakers and made an unpleasant smell, the second one was OK (barring poor fit-and-finish)

I'd suggest that if you can pick up a Breville or similar for ~$50, I'd go with that.

Comment

Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
                          If you're near Collingwood there's the breville outlet in Smith St
                          Thanks. I can go there during the week.

Comment

I just bought the Breville 4 slice lift and look from Myers. It is on a promotional discount, for about $51.

Thanks for everybody's help.
                            Last edited by pamount; 10 July 2016, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Reckon I might grab the same one... have been thinking about getting something with long slots so I don't have to flip slices of sourdough to toast both ends. Don't see much sense in paying an extra $100 for one with a motor that lifts the toast instead of a spring and lever - just another thing to break.

Comment

Working...
                              X