Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might be buying a new car in 6 to 12 months. Hyundai or Toyota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might be buying a new car in 6 to 12 months. Hyundai or Toyota?

I've been driving a Hyundai Accent for 14 years now. I've read Hyundai have improved a lot since I bought mine but I still can't forget the 4 or so times I had to take it back under warranty. I found this link at Consumer Reports in the US, regarding car reliability.

Highlights From Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey - Consumer Reports

It shows Toyota as being way above Hyundai for reliability.

I've been told I should look at a Toyota Yaris for my next car, instead of either a Hyundai 130 or Elantra. Although if my budget allows it I could be tempted by a Toyota Corolla. I am about 180cm (about 6 foot) tall, so a bigger car would be nice.

What do people here think about reliability and customer service for Hyundai vs Toyota? I'm looking at buying new instead of used.

Mazda 3.

im a die hard Toyota man.

Mazda 3.

check out John Cadogan's site, see what he has to say. Test drive a Corolla then immediately go down and test drive the 3.

Comment

I drive a 2006 mazda 3 mps, its a great car.

The new mazda 3 looks great and whilst i haven't driven one, i have heard from many owners that they are good cars.

Alternatively, have you considered a Nissan GT-R? It's a little more expensive than your other options but I think it would be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Smee View Post
        Mazda 3.

im a die hard Toyota man.

Mazda 3.

check out John Cadogan's site, see what he has to say. Test drive a Corolla then immediately go down and test drive the 3.
        I've already checked out John Cadogan's videos. I feel put off by Mazda's iStop and space saver spare tyre, even John Cadogan is critical of those.

Comment

Cant comment on Toyota Pamount, however my wife is on her third Hyundai, first was a SH Excel, she is now on her second I30, never had a problem with any of them, the service has been excellent, her current I30 is about 6 months old, great car, terrific dealer service.

Comment

Pop your head in the door and check if it has cup holders. If it does you're good to go

Comment

Originally posted by pamount View Post
              I've already checked out John Cadogan's videos. I feel put off by Mazda's iStop and space saver spare tyre, even John Cadogan is critical of those.
              You can turn off iStop. I just bought a CX-9, and found during my test drive tha the iStop was slightly annoying. Particularly when pulling out into traffic.

Not fussed about the space saver tyre really. I think I've had 2 flats in the past 15 yrs...

Comment

Both my sisters have i30. Very happy with.
                My parents also very happy with yaris til they crashed it 2 nights ago .

They're okay. But we're lucky they don't make 'em like they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by shortblackman View Post
                  Both my sisters have i30. Very happy with.
                  My parents also very happy with yaris til they crashed it 2 nights ago .

They're okay. But we're lucky they don't make 'em like they used to.
                  I'm glad they're okay.

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                      You can turn off iStop. I just bought a CX-9, and found during my test drive tha the iStop was slightly annoying. Particularly when pulling out into traffic.

Not fussed about the space saver tyre really. I think I've had 2 flats in the past 15 yrs...

Very annoying of Mazda to have that setting because everytime you turn the car off it goes back to Istop as a default.

space saver doesn't worry me either.

i test drove the Astina it's got the 2.5 donk and all the bells and whistles.....the only thing it can't do is make espresso

Comment

My vote - if you are doing high Kms or gravel roads - i30 manual diesel (ensure you try a Yaris on rough gravel - "interesting handling"). The i30 manual runs on fumes (one friend does two 550Km trips plus a week or two running around per fill - Perth to Kalgoorlie and return), it handles well and predictably on most surfaces, no space saver spare (unless the latest version screwed that up) and more compartments than most owners will find in their first year with it. Top of my own list if my old Merc goes terminal.

Mazda - if the 3 is half as annoying as the latest 6 then avoid like the plague or wear industrial earmuffs. Every second lunch the 4 of us seem to end up in the bloody thing and it has become a standing joke. Permanently nicknamed "the nag" after the backup computer personality in Hitchhikers Guide. The one gravel foray cemented it forever as last choice - drunken and dangerous - and that was before lunch (not that the driver ever drinks).

FYI the other choices - Subaru Impreza (great car - add to your list if it suits), Merc 450 SEL lightweight sports version (mine, never for sale although thirsty), Toyota Camry and 2012 i30.

TampIt

Comment

FWIW, regarding "rough gravel" driving I've done horrible things to both a Yaris (manual petrol) and a Hyundai i20 (auto) on logging roads in Tassie, they're both reasonably capable, the only issue I had was some ground clearance on a particularly rutted road with the Yaris (but you've kinda gotta expect that driving a hatch on a logging trail), and the Traction Control on the i20, (The place I stay at in Tassie has a REALLY steep hill on the way in it's probably ~35+ degrees, coming down it you feel like you're driving off a cliff. First time I hit it with the i20 the traction control kicked in a third of the way up, then I found the button to turn it off.)

Comment

Skoda Fabia?

Comment

I personally would buy a Kia.
                              Basically a Hyundai with a different shell, in other words well built. Fairly nice to look at too.
                              Just can't go past their 7 year warranty.

One can always get a lemon, but with a 7 year warranty you have more piece of mind.

Love to see a German /Japanese manufacturer stand by their car as Kia does.

Comment

Working...
                              X