Ita Buttrose new chair ABC board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ita Buttrose new chair ABC board

Lets hope she can get it back on track, it's reached the point of being a venue for constant reruns of tired old programs.

The news service and current affair programs are a constant barrage of pleading the cause of the socially downtrodden.

Almost unwatchable.

Yeah agreed. ABC has felt quite tired and repetitive for some years now.

Time for some fresh faces and shows. Also some more uplifting material occasionally would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
      Also some more uplifting material occasionally would be nice.
      Amen to that.

I just wonder Whether a or not a person approaching 80 is up to the job, she certainly has the credentials which is a whole lot more than you can say for her predecessor.

Comment

You guys must be watching a different channel to me. Sure, there's been repeats of repeats of shows like Grand Designs or Midsomer Murders but there have been some very successful new shows like the Jack Irish series, Mystery Road, Redfern Now, Anh's Brush with Fame plus the comedy of the British panel shows like Would I Lie To You, Pointless, etc.

It's only repetetive because successive governments have ripped millions of funding from it. If you want a restoration of quality, restore the funding and keep conservative governments away from it with their stacking of the ABC Board and desire to sell it off to please the bosses of the commercial channels.
        I find commercial networks unwatchable. A lot of good content now only appears on pay tv.

The news service and current affair programs are a constant barrage of pleading the cause of the socially downtrodden

That's funny, I thought that was the staple of commercial current affair shows.

Comment

The ABC and The SBS are the bright lights of Australian television. It is difficult to watch anything on the commercial channels as they are saturated with adverts. Short of anything to watch, all 3 seasons of Berlin Station are available to watch on SBS. Also available the first season of Counterpart, a sci-fi political thriller well worth watching. In fact SBS is overloaded with a huge variety of programmes to stream for free.

Comment

Agree SBS is putting out a great range of content and its fresh and new and they aren’t afraid to take risks. ABC could learn from them.

Comment

Wont argue about it, I've known and seen far better from the ABC in years gone by.

Regardless of politics, its a mere shadow of it's former self.

SBS are little better, stories about the under privileged are easy pickings and require bugger all research, seems everybody has an issue they want to complain about.

Have we really become a nation of whingers who expect the world but are not prepared to put in the hard yards?

Comment

Originally posted by Erimus View Post
                The ABC and The SBS are the bright lights of Australian television.
                Hardly high praise for the rest of them, perhaps Aussies thrive on a barrage of MKR, MAFS and second rate home renovation as well as disgusting American food programs, if this is really the case I hold grave fears for the life style and expectations of our kids.
                Last edited by Yelta; 28 February 2019, 11:30 PM.

Comment

No tv at my place... Not a complaint about the content from me. I haven't watched a bad show in 4yrs.
                  Though jjj radio is on a fair bit. Not sure if ita will have control of that as well. I presume so..

Comment

I enjoy Mad as Hell, there's an avalanche of great material for a new series... hope Ita isn't told to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by noonar View Post
                      I enjoy Mad as Hell, there's an avalanche of great material for a new series... hope Ita isn't told to cut it.
                      I agree, one of the few highlights, not such a new series, its been on air since 2012.

Planet America is worth watching as well.

Comment

Totally in agreement with Flynnus comments in post #4.
                        I'd add that I would have thought it was time for "The Lisp" to retire and let a younger fresher person have a shot at it. To many 'establishment' snouts in the trough in this country.
                        The recent appointments to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal being a case in point (without getting in to so-called diplomatic appointments.)
                        Without ABC and SBS I'd have nothing to watch, although I'd like to see less 'bleeding-heart' propaganda on SBS and an end to the Gambling advertisements.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          Lets hope she can get it back on track, it's reached the point of being a venue for constant reruns of tired old programs.

The news service and current affair programs are a constant barrage of pleading the cause of the socially downtrodden.

Almost unwatchable.
                          Rather than just "another job for the girls" to meet quotas, at least Ita has a proven track record and will likely stamp her mark on the ABC. Good choice I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                            Rather than just "another job for the girls" to meet quotas, at least Ita has a proven track record and will likely stamp her mark on the ABC. Good choice I'd say.
                            I'm inclined to agree CafeLotta, I guess time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                              Agree that Ita is a good choice with a proven track record but disagree that having quotas of women to fill executive positions is not a good thing. The problem with power is that men have had such a hold on it (for thousands of years), it is difficult for women to get even a foot in the door because of the power (and money) at stake. Yes, the risk of a quota of women is that that means that the best candidate is not always chosen but there are plenty of mediocre men in power, especially in politics. There are several examples of successful matriarchies in our world.

Comment

Working...
                              X