Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Breville bread toaster is great but getting the crumbs out is a real nuisance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Breville bread toaster is great but getting the crumbs out is a real nuisance

I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t properly mastered the dark art of emptying a toaster of the crumbs. My Breville toaster is a 4 slice “Lift and Look” model. It has this crumb tray at the bottom but when I slide it out I invariably see crumbs falling out the bottom as they get caught on something while the slider is being pulled out.

I’ve tried holding the toaster upside down, to get the crumbs out that way, but it doesn’t get them all out. Should I look at other brands of toasters, like maybe a Russell Hobbs?

I’ve also got this Breville electric kettle, which I bought when my then 10 year old Russell Hobbs electric kettle needed replacing. I made the mistake of rushing to the shopping center at the last minute, so I had to rush to make a choice. The Breville electric kettle works fine but the lid isn’t made of that black material that the lid of my old Russell Hobbs kettle was made of. Rather, it’s the same metal as the rest of the electric kettle, but with a clear window on the top. The result being I’ve occasionally almost burnt my finger when I’ve touched the lid as it gets hot in the same way the rest of the kettle does (it’s got this button on the handle that opens the lid). I didn’t have that problem with the lid on my old Russell Hobbs kettle.

I don’t know what to make of Breville. Their products seem well made and long lasting but I’ve wound up finding some albeit small fault with the items I’ve bought.

You have to empty the toaster over the sink. It's a terrible life with these first world problems

Comment

I have a small baking tray that the toaster lives in. No matter if it's in the cupboard or on the bench, all the crumbs can only get into the tray, not everywhere else.

Comment

Hi

I want a toaster made of high temperature glass or quartz like material so I can actually SEE both sides of the toast and so I can eject the toast when I want to.
        The crumbs should go into a decent tray. On my current crappy toaster that tray is about 2mm deep.
        Is there a political party that has a policy that it will fund the CSIRO to design us a better toaster?

Mike

Comment

There are glass sided toasters out there, the Magimix Vision is only $300

Comment

This is the ONE you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
              That crumb tray on a hinge is so much better than my slide out crumb tray it’s not funny. Does any company make a toaster with a crumb tray like that now?
              Last edited by pamount; 7 May 2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Had one of these many years ago Rocky, great toaster.

Now have a modern Morphy Richards thing, its a piece of crap.

Comment

Awesome toaster. That guy does great job of explaining the mechanics of how it works too.

Comment

Originally posted by pamount View Post
                    works fine but the lid isn’t made of that black material that the lid of my old Russell Hobbs kettle was made of. Rather, it’s the same metal as the rest of the electric kettle, but with a clear window on the top. The result being I’ve occasionally almost burnt my finger when I’ve touched the lid as it gets hot in the same way the rest of the kettle does (it’s got this button on the handle that opens the lid). I didn’t have that problem with the lid on my old Russell Hobbs kettle.

I don’t know what to make of Breville. Their products seem well made and long lasting but I’ve wound up finding some albeit small fault with the items I’ve bought.
                    Pamount, don't worry about the burnt finger problem, that will be solved by a process called operant conditioning.

Comment

Yes! I want one. Using the expansion and contraction of the nichrome wire to raise and lower the toast is sheer brilliance. It was probably a single engineer that came up with that idea. The Magimix Vision is nice but does not have such engineering brilliance lurking unseen beneath its cover.

Thanks Rocky for finding that video. I have now also bookmarked http://www.automaticbeyondbelief.org :-)
                      Mike

Comment

We were given one of those Sunbeam toasters after we had a house fire with when I was a kid. I thought it was an old piece of junk that our neighbour wanted to get rid of, but I appreciated the design of it at the time, as much as a kid could. I have spent every time using a toaster since wishing it was more like that one. If I ever see one again I'll probably buy it.

Comment

Would a 110v one work here with just a diode to drop the voltage? Or a pwm set at 50% and a SSR?
                          There is a couple on eBay ex USA.

I will keep my eyes out for one also. Awesome engineering!

Comment

Interesting! the Sunbeam model being discussed was common in Australia during the late 50's and through the 60/70's, must be heaps of them around in SH shops etc.

Comment

I just found one on Gumtree, advertised at $160. Having second thoughts about buying the next one I see.

Comment

Working...
                              X