50th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th

I am really enjoying the docos being shown lately about the Gemini and Apollo missions. Incredibly gutsy, considering a digital Casio watch had more tech than the early Saturns. The scale of things is just astounding. Very brave people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rFaC5F7-k

Just sharing the celebration. On the landing day I joined a bunch of other like minded interested people to watch the Lunar landing, live, on the only TV available. It was awesome.

Agree, awesome to watch it all again...

Mal.

Comment

Awestruck every time.

Java "Time to return!" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yeah, they are a different breed of humans to me.
        I put the early global mariners in the same category.

Comment

It's hard to believe the technology they had at the time to complete such a risky mission.

This book is a worthwhile read for a wider perspective on the race to the moon:
          https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/428393.Space_Race

Then again, there are those who still like to believe it was a NASA hoax (I don't).

https://theconversation.com/how-moon...t-today-118643

Comment

We were on the road between Woomera and Andamooka during the first moon landing, listening to proceedings on the radio, unforgettable.

Comment

Was in my first year of college back then and just getting ready to head off...

I was a bit late.

Mal.

Comment

Hi

I was 11 years old and mad about anything Science. Still am :-) I got the set of Apollo photographs that came out just afterwards. I don't think that Mankind has ever since had a project that captivated as much of the world as the lunar landing did in 1969.

Mike

Comment

Really enjoyed this, some background detail to the engineering challenges - just awesome.

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/video/1...1-Ep1-Saturn-V

Comment

Saw the topic and thought the cat was out of the bag... Paula was born 16th July 1969.

Family went out for dinner last night to celebrate her 50th but it was too overcast to see the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      Saw the topic and thought the cat was out of the bag... Paula was born 16th July 1969.
                      I was born very close to when Sputnik 1 made history as the first man-made object in space. So at least two launches on that day, mine was less stellar.

Comment

It is only fitting that on that day, I was sitting in a cafe enjoying a cappuccino as I watched the moon landing on what was probably a 17 inch or slightly larger tv in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
                          It is only fitting that on that day, I was sitting in a cafe enjoying a cappuccino as I watched the moon landing on what was probably a 17 inch or slightly larger tv in the corner.
                          A black and white 17" tv no doubt

Comment

Certainly black and white....not that it would've made any difference otherwise in 1969 in Australia ��

Comment

Apropos to black and white TVs... Although colour broadcasts didn't start till the mid 1970s, i steadfastly refused to make the switch. I would demonstrate in appliance shops why not. I would turn down the colour slider so the picture became black and white. Then, as I slid it back to colour, I'd say with a sceptical air: "The difference between that black and white picture and the colour one you are seeing now is...$1000. Is it worth that?"

My sainted mother couldn't believe how stubborn her married with a family stupid son could be at times, and seeing how I would not buy a colour set, she did it for me -- $1000 for a Rank Arena 24 inch set in 1980.

That set lasted 20 years until the picture lost its correct hue....And we bought the biggest tube set available, a TEAC, possibly 80 cm or 31 inches from memory.

That would have happily kept going but in 2011 it was time to splurge on the flat screens. So in came a Samsung 55 incher for the family room, and one of the last of the plasmas, a 60 inch 3D LG for the lounge. They are quasi smart, still there, used daily,....as I stubbornly resist the urge to switch to 4K smarties. And why?--to watch 40-year-old reruns, or The Block or the myriad or other so-called "entertainment"

What would my late mother say I wonder.

Comment

Working...
                              X