Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ants are my friends. Not

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The ants are my friends. Not

    I've just had my hearing tested.
    The results are worse than I anticipated (for my age).

    But have I always had trouble hearing?
    Mishearing lyrics to songs tells me maybe yes.

    We all know Bob Dylan sang
    "The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind"

    But these are some of my very own personal misheard lyrics

    Teenager In Love -Dion and the Belmonts
    Once I stabbed a teenager in love
    (Why must I be a teenager in love)

    Waterloo - Stonewall Jackson
    Napoleon...the world lost its pants
    (should be: Napoleon...tried to conquer the world, but lost his pants)

    Take a Message to Mary -Everly Brothers
    Don't tell her I fell in the jam
    (but don't tell say I'm in a jam)

    The Court of King Caractacus
    The ladies of the court of the ornithorhynchus
    (The ladies of the harem of the court of King Caractacus)

    Mull of Kintyre -Paul McCarthy
    O mistrall of infamy
    (O mist rolling in from the sea)

    Everybody - Vanessa Amorosi
    Come to the MTIA
    (Absolutely everybody)

  • #2
    Lyrics deciphered - confused no more.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLnuEpQ1yg

    Comment


    • #3
      I rather liked the mondegreen versions of a lot of the older songs...

      Mal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Jimi Hendrix singing Purple Haze " 'scuse me while I kiss this guy"?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          I rather liked the mondegreen versions of a lot of the older songs...

          Mal.
          I must confess to never having come across the term until your posts. But yes, songs are much funnier that way.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by robusto View Post
            I must confess to never having come across the term until your posts. But yes, songs are much funnier that way.
            Goes back to when I used to watch the ABC's "Spicks and Specks" show...
            Often came up as one of the quiz items.

            Mal.
            Last edited by Dimal; 26 September 2019, 10:00 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dimal View Post
              Goes back to when I used to watch the ABC's "Spics and Specs" show...
              Often came up as one of the quiz items.

              Mal.
              And even further back, to the UK show 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks', on which Spicks was based

              Comment


              • #8
                Never watched the UK show but never missed an episode of our Ozzy show...

                Mal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                  Never watched the UK show but never missed an episode of our Ozzy show...

                  Mal.
                  Never mind those Buzzwhatevers....this is the most memorable Spick and Speck for me...

                  Ladies and Gentlemen, direct...from the Adelaide Mall...the one...the only.... Barry Morgan.

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OHRxZcfYFE

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    These were great...
                    I think he made 2-3 apprearances and were all terrific.

                    Mal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi robusto,
                      Got a good chuckle with "the ants are my friends". But enough is enough. Could you now post the instructions for deleting it out of my head.

                      Ps please don't tell me I'm stuck with it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's not exactly a Mondegreen (thanks to R. Rude Esq.) but 'Another Nun Bites a Duck' always come to mind.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OCD View Post
                          Hi robusto,
                          Got a good chuckle with "the ants are my friends". But enough is enough. Could you now post the instructions for deleting it out of my head.

                          Ps please don't tell me I'm stuck with it.
                          You're stuck with it. I know what it's like.... and why my dental bills are high.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OCD View Post
                            Hi robusto,
                            Got a good chuckle with "the ants are my friends". But enough is enough. Could you now post the instructions for deleting it out of my head.

                            Ps please don't tell me I'm stuck with it.
                            Science has shown that the universal cure for earworms is to sing the "Chicken Dance" to yourself whenever the earworm recurs.

                            The cure for the "Chicken Dance" earworm is presently unknown but a monotonically increasing number of people are searching for it.
                            Last edited by Lyrebird; 27 September 2019, 09:05 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by robusto View Post
                              I've just had my hearing tested.
                              The results are worse than I anticipated (for my age).

                              But have I always had trouble hearing?
                              Mishearing lyrics to songs tells me maybe yes.
                              Gee...what a difference a week makes. As originally posted last week a hearing test at a shopping centre had me worried after showing I had "significant" hearing loss....even allowing for my age.

                              Today I had a follow-up test by a doctor of audiology and got a completely different result which negated that first one.

                              It shows my hearing is not only quite normal for my age, but hasn't changed since the last exhaustive one 3 years ago.

                              Now to celebrate with a couple of high C's from Pavarotti and all the bells and whistles of Beethoven's 9th.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X