Halloween Has Us Tricked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Has Us Tricked

It's been creeping in for years, but now that the shopping centre shops have joined in with displays of ghoulish witches you can't hold back the tide any longer. (reminds me of how mother's day got started --by department stores with an eye on the money potential)

We never have had "trick or treat" here in Australia. We do however see references in American TV shows. And now that the world is just one global media kids here think that what goes on there must or should obviously be going on here.

It's cultural imperialism.

So what do we do tonight when these kids come a-knocking?

Tell them Halloween is an American and European tradition corrupted from all souls day and that we don't follow it here and therefore go home you naive little boy/girl?

Or throw in the towel and hand over the teeth-decaying lollies?

I don't know.

In our suburb things are more organised than that. Nobody knocks on our door because we don't have a "Halloween marker" on the door or front gate. Our friends with kids down the road only visit houses that are pre-organised as 'safe'. If I bought any tooth rotting candy in advance I would be eating it myself later.

Around ten years ago we had a random trick-or-treat knock but that's never happened again.

I agree with you "leave Halloween to the people it means something to" but apparently it means something to kids here. Ie candy.

Comment

Now I know I really am out of the loop --maybe because my kids are old enough to have their own kids. Who organises these things...safe houses, halloween markers at the gate. First I've heard of all that.

So, if my house doesn't have these markers, no-one comes?

Comment

Halloween! BAH HUMBUG, an American tradition being foisted on us by money grabbing retailers, it's bullsh*t, has absolutely nothing to do with our culture.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Bah Humbug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	750878

Comment

Maybe a sign saying "triple espresso treats for all small children who visit this home!"

Might have lolly-wired children's parents thinking twice

Comment

Further to my previous thread.

Just stumbled across this, as I said, all about money.

Americans spend twice as much on Halloween as on their national parks. It is consumerism gone mad

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...-pets/11652796

Comment

Some argue that we should embrace the customs of multi-culturalism. However, seeing how almost no Americans live here, and how our biggest migrant intake by fair is from India, followed by China...where Halloween means nothing, I think that argument is destroyed.

Comment

hey now. disrupting years of something else happening and coming in and changing everything is how this great country came to be, dammit!

plus halloween is actually fun.

Comment

I'm not really a fan myself.

The guy across the road does a haunted house/graveyard/maze every year which he puts a hell of a lot of effort into and it attracts thousands of people by the time it closes. My eldest (21) helps out with that and he enjoys it.

My youngest (7) doesn't really know what it is all about I don't think.

We do get a few door knockers because there are hundereds of people in the street while the house across the road is open.

Christmas though I do love.

Comment

Yep! loads of fun, we've already seen sick types loading strawberries with needles in Australia, these same people would think nothing of doing similar to kids who come knocking on the door.

People are paranoid about child molesters, won't allow people to photograph their kids and so on, yet these same parents are O.K. with their kids knocking on the doors of strangers and begging for handouts.

Halloween's longest-running tradition? Parents inspecting sweets for drugs, razor blades and terrorist codes

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...-fear/11652208

Comment

Plenty of great Aussie traditions to celebrate that have nothing to do with American consumerism.
                      Fun for you? Great, but I've never been a sheep....

Mal.

Comment

Cherry picking (brilliant!) which parts of which cultures are OK to adopt and accept and which are not may risk accusations of double standards. Coffee originated in Ethiopia not Echuca (need to double check? Espresso is from Italy not Ipswich - must confirm :-). Enjoy Halloween and all the benefits that real person social exchanges can bring - or don't. What other day of the year can you knock on all of your neighbors doors and interact? For Halloween haters it's an opportunity missed to subtlety (phwa!) spruik your version of the world to the young and uninitiated too!

Comment

When my kids where young every halloween night they would hide and any trick or treaters coming to the house would get sprayed with the hose of cause I was the responsible parent and made shore they didn't drown the the lollie beggars

Comment

Some fine arguments being advanced here.
                            I think there is a big difference between traditions that are adopted through an evolutionary process and those that are foisted for commercial gain or mass media.

Espresso was brought to us courtesy of hundreds of thousands of European migrants, not by us watching an Italian sit com with mamma and papa and the children at breakfast. "Gee--why can't we do that?"

The social interaction -- yes, that is sorely lacking.

We have no community. We have no community spirit. Anyone who tells you these heartless suburbs are a community is living in their own fantasy utopia.

I was in Italy a few months ago and was astounded how in a city of almost 3000 people EVERYONE knew everyone by face and by name, how you'd be sitting outside at night having an espresso and people would drop by and sit down uninvited and share one with you. How at 10 PM school kids would go running out of their homes en mass and play in the streets until 1 AM in absolute safety (school holiday time).

Here-- I know what my immediate neighbours to the left and right of my house look like -- the others no idea.

I doubt whether Halloween is going to change any of that though .....

Comment

Each to their own...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X