political Correctness Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• political Correctness Madness

The politically correct ABC has the results of a survey on political correctness showing that 68% of Australians say it has gone too far.
    Not surprisingly, its most ardent exponents, the Greens, have shown how out of touch with reality and the mainstream they are by arguing it doesn't go far enough.

Results here https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-...lysis/11742380

In practice, PC dictates that in seeking not to offend minorities -- we offend majorities instead.

It dictates that to accommodate the whims of a few, we ban the long-standing innocuous customs or practices of the majority.

And of course, it is used to shut down debate and free speech and thus turn a blind eye to insidious elements.

I agree with your sentiments Robusto, Ita says we need to bring back the larrikin element, its her ABC that's done it's level best to destroy this very aspect of our culture.

Seems the ABC was out to stir the pot this morning.

I've just finished a rant about them here. https://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic...tml#post665074

Comment

I think it is good that people don’t feel free to publicly denigrate minorities through taunts or misplaced humour.

I think being politically correct carries a cost but there are benefits too.

I look at the U.S. where you have total freedom to say anything. It has become a toxic racially polarised mess.

Everything has a cost including unrestricted freedom to say whatever you want.

Comment

Wattgn, I don't think denigration and taunting of minorities and political correctness are necessarily related. You can be as unpolitically correct as possible without denigrating someone.

Comment

Originally posted by wattgn View Post
          I think it is good that people don’t feel free to publicly denigrate minorities through taunts or misplaced humour.
          A shame the same courtesy isn't extended by the minorities to the majority and their viewpoint.

An example of this is when illegal or bad behavior is called out but then the person doing the calling out is subsequently labelled as racist, sexist, phobic this or that etc. just because the perpetrator happens to identify with one of these groups. Using your minority identity as a cover for your bad/illegal behavior is despicable.

Comment

i find that people who complain about the 'PC police' are those who are used to taking the piss out of certain groups and are now irritated that this casual 'humour' is no longer acceptable. nobody likes to change.

Comment

In the 2004 (!wow) movie "Team America World Police" there is a (I find) very funny scene set in the UN where Gary gives a speach that offers a comical perspective on the dogmatists v pragmatists and moderates debate. I would post a link but it contains strong larrakin language. Search "team america un speech" - it's a tricky scene to search by content :-). Anything that encourages the leader of one nation to wear full head covering is a positive?

Comment

Originally posted by woodhouse View Post
                i find that people who complain about the 'PC police' are those who are used to taking the piss out of certain groups and are now irritated that this casual 'humour' is no longer acceptable. nobody likes to change.
                The interesting thing is that the "unwritten" laws the PC police try to enforce are totally inconsistent. Recently I've paid attention to content on TV where women have behaved in a sexist or chauvinistic way towards men which wouldn't be tolerated if the roles were reversed. When I've mentioned this to my partner she dismisses it with "well women have had to put up with it for years". Really? Women now get to behave in a way that they aggressively criticise and prosecute men for? On some live to air TV shows, the sexist comments and the ogling of bare chested men goes way beyond what I ever remember men saying about women on TV. This is what equality looks like post "#Me Too" ?

As far as not taking the piss goes, it only seems to apply to non-ethnic Australians. Take a look at an episode of Fat Pizza. Pretty ordinary TV but ethnics taking the piss out of everybody including themselves. No one is spared.

The episode I saw had an ethnic guy in a hotted up HQ being stopped by the Police, dragged out of the car and pretend beaten up while being told he's under arrest. "What am I under arrest for?" he asks. The cop responds, "Being Lebanese in a public place!"

A non-ethnic wouldn't get away with making this sort of TV show these days.
                Last edited by CafeLotta; 28 November 2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I think some of us here are at cross purpose.
                  The PC I'm talking about is not an antidote for bad behaviour, such as denigrating people of any persuasion, or making sick jokes about minorities.
                  I think singling those sorts of things out as defining why we have to have PC is ignoring what PC really is about...

I'm talking about banning references to Christmas at schools.
                  Removing gender specific references such as "boy" or "girl" , "mum" or "dad".
                  Empowering anyone to wake up any day and decide what "gender" their whim would like them to be -- and the rest of us having to go along with the absurdity,
                  Removing gender from Victorian driver's licences when the licence is one of the most used forms of security ID
                  Pandering to asylum seekers and other immigrants coming to this free country with all its virtuous, who then agitate to change it to their own customs and lifestyle.
                  Shutting down as racist the calling out of criminal and similar behaviour--as Cafelotta pointed out -- by minority immigrant groups.
                  Emasculating police forces from doing their jobs swiftly and effectively.
                  The ABC tv panels almost nightly having as mandatory a muslim representative even though muslims are a mere 2.6 per cent of the population. But is a voice also given to to Buddhists who comprise 2.4%, Greeks with 1.8%, Italians with 5%? No.
                  Having a different set of values and laws for the majority of Australians, and another for minority groups.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
                    Having a different set of values and laws for the majority of Australians, and another for minority groups.
                    Which laws are you specifically referring to?

Comment

The ABC tv panels almost nightly having as mandatory a muslim representative even though muslims are a mere 2.6 per cent of the population.
                      QANDA Panalists from last 5 episodes.

Q&A in WA
                      Panellists: Zak Kirkup, WA State Liberal MP; Anne Aly, Labor Member for Cowan; Hannah McGlade, Human Rights Law Researcher; Lanai Scarr, Political Editor, The West Australian; Dylan Storer, People’s Panellist.
                      Mon 18 Nov 2019, 10:00pm

Climate and Catastrophe
                      Panellists: Ross Garnaut, Economist; Sarah McNamara, Chief Executive of the Australian Energy Council; Sarah Friar, CEO of Nextdoor; Jason Falinski, NSW Liberal MP; and Mark Butler, Shadow Minister for Climate Change and Energy.
                      Mon 11 Nov 2019, 9:35pm

Q&A Broadside
                      Panellists: Mona Eltahawy, Egyptian-American journalist; Jess Hill, Author, See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Abuse; Nayuka Gorrie, Essayist and Screenwriter; Ashton Applewhite, American anti-ageism campaigner; Hana Assafiri, Businesswoman and Social Change Agent; and Host, Fran Kelly.
                      Mon 4 Nov 2019, 9:35pm

The Drought
                      Panellists: David Littleproud, Minister for Water Resources and Drought; Joel Fitzgibbon, Shadow Minister for Agriculture; Fiona Simson, President, National Farmers' Federation; Maryanne Slattery, Senior Water Researcher, the Australia Institute; Kate McBride, Grazier.
                      Mon 28 Oct 2019, 9:35pm

Q&A: Future Alert

Panellists: John Hewson, Former Leader of the Liberal Party; Veena Sahajwalla, Inventor and Director, Centre for Sustainable Materials Research and Technology; Julian Cribb, Science Writer and Journalist; Jordan Nguyen, Engineer, Futurist, and Broadcaster; Chloë Spackman, Director of Programs, Australian Futures Project; and Host, Annabel Crabb.
                      Mon 21 Oct 2019, 9:35pm

Comment

The politically correct ABC has the results of a survey on political correctness showing that 68% of Australians say it has gone too far.
                        To correct that for an ABC report: 32% of all Australians believe that political correctness hasn't gone far enough

I don't watch the news on any channel anymore. I started thinking, who determines what news is important to me? Is the 6pm news that important that it dictates what is important in my life?

Comment

I think Australia is maybe a bit too PC but not enough to be an issue. We need protections for people and minorities and people of undetermined sex etc. Immigation debates quickly turn racist if not controlled.

Nothing is ever perfect but the balance we have is way better than in the U.S..

Things are changing and some people don't like it and don't understand it. IMHO people need to chill a bit. In the fullness of time most things get sorted. I too wonder about gender determination but I'd rather let it run it's course and see where we are in ten or twenty years. The facts ultimately emerge on whether such things are good or bad.

Religion is sensitive too but I see faults among born again christians such as SCOMO and some fundamentalist Muslims. I believe though in separation of church and state and the role of the state is to provide protection in law for all groups including from nasty forms of racism which often manifest in social posts.

I don't see why our public behaviour should involve incendiary and pointless debates that we wouldn't countenance if speaking with the group or people in question face to face.

In the U.S. it is a tragedy that people are free under the first amendment to say some nasty and pointless debates that lead to further division. I don't want to see that happen here.

I have two cousins in the U.S. and used to live there. I'm in contact every day. We don't want to import their crap ideas into this country. They can rot in their own self created mess over there.

Comment

Saeco User, you obviously don't watch The Drum. I don't watch Q and A and I stopped watching The Drum but I do channel surf.

Comment

"The Drum" lost my interest after watching a couple of shows; mostly just aimless rabbiting on without reasoned conclusions being reached - Pointless for the most part.

I do watch various news broadcasts on SBS from time to time though, never hurts to hear about issues from someone else's perspective...
                              Shows on the ABC like "Foreign Correspondent" are usually very interesting to watch and listen to as well, but these days (budget cuts?), seems that it is only broadcast half-a-dozen times a year.

Mal.
                              Last edited by Dimal; 28 November 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X