Who Else Goes Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Else Goes Camping

About 6 months ago we invested in a fully self contained camper. It essentially is a fibreglass box with a lid, an aluminium frame and a canvas roof. The lid is hinged and opens as seen below.
    We’ve been away 4 times now following the coast north and south of Perth.
    Most recently we spent 5 days based in Denmark WA, doing day trips in the Hilux.
    One of the benefits of the camper is it can be removed from the Ute by attaching 4 legs and raising it up using an electric drill with a socket onto a nut at the top of each leg. Takes about 4 minutes to remove it from the Ute, about 10 minutes to fully pack up including all the camping paraphernalia.
    For coffee we do a V60 pour over. Haven’t sorted the grinder situation yet, we take pre ground. So day 1 is quite acceptable, after that it’s ok, still better than 43 beans!
    Our longer term plans are to cross the Nullabor and to go into the Kimberley.
    When we both retire we will do a lap.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2D7C30C5-4822-4A6C-8850-4396F2168598.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	763591

Name:	6EBBACED-A05A-499F-8250-4EF50804CF71.jpg
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	763592

Name:	4C6E655F-D85E-4802-890A-911CD77F337B.jpg
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	763593

Yep, we do.

We use a hand Rosco grinder and a Flair Espresso device, home roasted beans.

Pic from a trip to the Flinders Ranges a couple of years ago.

Name:	DSC_2909_resized.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	751137

Comment

If i remember to play lotto our camping will be done from a auto trail motorhome with onga generator powering the coffee machine

Comment

Sure do, I had plans to use the flair while camping but let's face it, we're there to get away! Generally use a cheap plunger but still take the lido and home roast

Comment

I want to do more motorcycle camping, have the bike and most of the gear, just need to make the time.

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
            I want to do more motorcycle camping, have the bike and most of the gear, just need to make the time.
            have bike have gear but definitely no time!

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
              Oh yes, love doing that....
              Lots of memories from far away places.

Mal.

P.S.
              Daryl Beattie runs some great off road and away adventure/camping trips.
              Might be worth a look...

Name:	DarylBeattie.JPG
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	751139
              Last edited by Dimal; 10 December 2019, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Oh yes, love doing that....
                Lots of memories from far away places.

Mal.

P.S.
                Daryl Beattie runs some great off road and away adventure/camping trips.
                Might be worth a look...
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]24445[/ATTACH]
                Looks pretty cool, not sure it'd be for me though. Might have look into it a bit more and see if they do tours where you can bring your own bike and gear, not really looking to spend 5k+ on a trip.

If any other CS members enjoy motorcycle camping or adventuring, I'm always keen, would like to make some more friends who are into bikes.

Comment

Dual range, diff lock, go anywhere, 6 ton, 4WD.
                  (Spends it's free time in the high country).
                  Gas powered FZ-RR 700 baby roaster, Electra, + insulated Plunger, (For when we can't run the generator).
                  Vario grinder.
                  Putting in the Electra was worth the trouble, (we've had some of the most stunning morning coffee's of our lives in the middle of nowhere).

Second shot was taken on a hill.

(why does that happen) ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

We just have a basic tent that goes in the boot in the car

When we go camping we take the Aeropress and the hario hand grinder... Although you wouldn't want to be making coffee for a crowd...

Comment

Jacksons Carry me Camper. Made in Australia with Australian canvas. Ideal for remote area travel. First photo taken at Dalhousie Springs at the end of a very wet Simpson Desert crossing.

Coffee gear is Aeropress and Aerspeed grinder. IMO Aeropress can't be beaten for ease of cleaning, especially when availability of water is very limited. Have thrown a Dr Mahn Handy Roaster in for long trips where bean availability will be challenging. The slight smokiness imparted to beans roasted over charcoal is a genuine camping experience. Also just acquired an Esbit stove top 'espresso' maker for a more espresso like option.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1576066809.475697.jpg
Size:	665.7 KB
ID:	751144Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1576066835.428485.jpg
Size:	608.6 KB
ID:	751145

Comment

We have a 25 year old Jayco finch which we most recently used on a half lap of Australia.
                        Porlex mini grinder and moka pot or Aeropress with home roasted beans for small trips or commercial beans on long trips.
                        Photo from Finke National park in the NT.

Comment

Just about to go to Tassie for a month, will spend most of it camping. We don’t have a big 4wd, just a Mazda 6 and 2 kids, so we bought a tiny little European “camplet” trailer. Weighs 250kg (500 when it’s fully loaded) , but has two off-ground double beds, a fold out kitchen and a very comfy living area.

Coffee gear is a Lido 3, Flair and Bellman steamer. Also an oxo pour over for times when I need something simpler.

Comment

Here's a picture of the baby roaster.
                            Magnificent Yemen roaster, no fan, solid copper conduction only.
                            No off gassing use delay required, Yemen tastes right after 2 days (not 10 days as with a Hottop).
                            the trick is to get a gas cooktop with good heat control.
                            (This model is the best I've ever found).

Second pic is the camper showing the outside opening fridge next to the cooktop, really practical idea.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by snowytec View Post
                              Dual range, diff lock, go anywhere, 6 ton, 4WD.
                              Looks like a great setup
                              I would be interested in some additional information on the vehicle brand and typical fuel economy on the road and also the manufacturer of the camper

Comment

Working...
                              X