No announcement yet.

My toaster caused the switch in my smart meter to turn off two or three times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My toaster caused the switch in my smart meter to turn off two or three times

I haven’t used my toaster for a few months because of this. I’ve had no problems like this since I stopped using the toaster.

Should I buy a different brand of toaster, like maybe a Russell Hobbs? I’ve still got my Breville toaster which, apart from this problem, seems great. From memory, I’ve never had this problem in other places I’ve lived in.

My unit is only about 4 years old and has a smart meter. Are smart meters more sensitive or something? This problem only happens in the kitchen. The power in the rest of my unit stays on. I just have to turn off my toaster and other appliances at the wall before I turn the switch back on in the smart meter.

The toaster probably just needs a thorough cleaning out "pamount"...
    Could be a trail of crumbs allowing enough current to flow to trip the Safety Switch.

Worth a check...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll try that and see what happens.

Comment

Toaster tripping meter.

Comment

I'm with Mal, it's most likely to be crumbs.

Comment

...or the knife that the kids put in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              ...or the knife that the kids put in there.
              Haha...

Indeed mate. One of our sprogs thought it would be a good idea to add a spoon to one of the slots to help get the toast out. Gotta love RCD protection. Of course, no one did it...

Mal.

Comment

(Why is it that "no one ever did anything wrong", I though that answer was just in our house.)

Could also be the total load on that circuit Paramont.

Kitchens have nearly all your household power usage and sometimes all on the one circuit. Microwave, dishwasher, coffee machine possibly all on the same 10amp circuit and your toaster tips it over the limit.

If it's not crumbs in your toaster then worth isolating some other devices to see if it's load related

ie: your toaster might work fine with the coffee machine off although I would cook bread on the BBQ before I turned the coffee machine off.

Comment

I see small crumbs trapped in the bottom, but not on the crumb tray, that’s pretty much impossible to get out unless i had some thin brush on a thin long handle. Plus what looks like bits of melted raisin near the bottom, that’s also hard to get out.

I’ve had this toaster for a few years. Is it just safer to get rid of it and to buy a new toaster? They sure make these things hard to clean.

Comment

Pamount, plug your toaster in another power point in another room and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
                      Pamount, plug your toaster in another power point in another room and see what happens.
                      Better still, if your neighbour has an exterior power point.....

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                        Better still, if your neighbour has an exterior power point.....
                        Hope you don't live next door to us Pamount...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by pamount View Post
                          I see small crumbs trapped in the bottom, but not on the crumb tray, that’s pretty much impossible to get out unless i had some thin brush on a thin long handle. Plus what looks like bits of melted raisin near the bottom, that’s also hard to get out.

I’ve had this toaster for a few years. Is it just safer to get rid of it and to buy a new toaster? They sure make these things hard to clean.
                          That is why I have a workshop sized air compressor with 2 water traps in series. Hit it with about 40psi of dry air blast and those crumbs just disappear into the wide blue yonder. Safe for all electronics / electrical gear. Just make sure you are outside the house or your "significant other" may read you the riot act over the mess...

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
                            That is why I have a workshop sized air compressor with 2 water traps in series. Hit it with about 40psi of dry air blast and those crumbs just disappear into the wide blue yonder. Safe for all electronics / electrical gear. Just make sure you are outside the house or your "significant other" may read you the riot act over the mess...
                            How can a mere mortal like me cope?

Comment

i had a toaster for years before i knew it had a removable tray wifey pointed out
                              an your the technical one an didnt see that?
                              yeah yeah but your shorter an can see it closer ��

Comment

Working...
                              X