Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who buys these old style Casio digital watches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who buys these old style Casio digital watches?

Typical examples in this YouTube video

https://youtu.be/DasstcF4Rj4

That sort of thing was considered a must have about 35 years ago. I’m puzzled as to why that genre of style still exists. I can understand affordability and not having the battery go flat too often being desirable, but you’d think the basic style of the Casio watch face would’ve been drastically updated by now.

Is it mostly a hipster thing?

I guess if all you need is a basic watch that just keeps reasonably accurate time, it fits the bill perfectly...

Mal.

Comment

I'm a "watch nut" (amongst a number of other interests) and whilst my main interest is quality mechanical watches, I have a Casio that I wear when working on the car or in the garden.
      They are robust and very accurate and of course it doesn't matter if you scratch it or get dirt in the bracelet.
      In addition they are very legible and not an unattractive watch.
      In the Horology community, there is an ongoing interest in whether phones and 'smart watches' are displacing quality mechanical watches among the younger generation.
      Some young folks don't wear watches at all as they just refer to their phone.
      I see a watch as an acceptable piece of male jewellery. It's the only piece I wear daily.
      'Smart watches' don't interest me as I'm not all that into technology.
      I would never wear a chain or bracelet and don't like rings much either so a nice watch is my choice.

Comment

I'm with you Rocky...
        Love decent quality mechanical watches, the workmanship is what gets me.

Mal.

Comment

My requirements for a watch are, must have an analog face, be easy to read, day or night, keep accurate time, not be big and clunky, sit nicely on the wrist.

With these criteria in mind I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive about 8 years ago, best watch I have ever owned,it keeps perfect time, never needs adjusting, except for daylight saving, no battery, it simply keeps on running.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	citizen-mens-eco-drive-watch-5069628-1~1569070253.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	751220
          Bearing in mind the comment has recently been made elsewhere on this forum that the wearing of watches is dying out I've paid attention to the number of watch wearers at functions I've attended over Christmas, most people seem to still wear them, perhaps I mix with the wrong crowd.

Like Rocky, not in the least bit interested in smart watches, I need a watch to tell the time and a phone to make phone calls, everything else simply gets in the way.

Name:	Einstein on Idiots..jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	751222
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
            I'm a "watch nut"
            I'm just a nut.

I own two Timex Weekenders and Two Fossil watches. I had my eye on a couple of Braun watches, but I recently saw on YouTube that the second hand on some Braun watches doesn't hit the marks. I know of a shop in Melbourne that sells Braun watches, so I might check this out there one day.

Comment

Pamount you would be surprised how common not hitting the marks is. I wouldn't let that worry you, get the watch if you like it, your eyes will compensate and the distinct stop of a quartz every second makes it seem like it is.

I believe watchmakers could probably reorient the hands (they do on GMT or UTC watches), but the cost doesn't make sense for an end user or manufacturer.

On the Casio, one mans old is anothers retro. I know there is a cult following on the original with full calculator built in, especially amongst IT experts.

Comment

If and when those ugly and really unnecessary smart watches looks like an analogue I might consider having one. An ugly "watch" on the wrist to tell you that the phone in your pocket is ringing????

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
                  If and when those ugly and really unnecessary smart watches looks like an analogue I might consider having one. An ugly "watch" on the wrist to tell you that the phone in your pocket is ringing????
                  It's a strange concept ain't it.

Guess the next step will be an app to tell you your bowel needs emptying.

I've used this in another thread recently, cant help feeling it needs repeating.

Name:	Einstein on Idiots..jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	751224

Comment

I resisted smart watches until last year and was wearing a 20 year old Seiko Kinetic.

I got the Samsung Galaxy. First it is well built and it does get knocked around a bit but still looks new.

I am self employed but get a lot of scam or out of state calls and Imdeal with these by putting my hand over the dial to silence them. I can also receive texts and other notifications and even take a call on the watch if I wish. I use the alarm, stopwatch and time functions regularly too.

It has been a winner for me but it suits someone who is busy.

The other thing I learned is not to make it look like an analogue watch. It is what it is so I use watch faces that are different that I like.

Finally there is a heart rate monitor and fitness tracking tools. I go to the gym regularly but don’t use these much except the heart rate monitor stores heart rate data which is useful.

Samsung Wearables is the app that controls it and it works well, lots of apps and watch faces you can download. It all works flawlessly too and has a wireless charging station so leave it overnight to charge.

Comment

The day I have to "charge" my watch is the day I will stop wearing one.

Comment

Watches can be a fascinating hobby because there is simply so much variety available.
                        You can choose with the eye or let the wallet make the decision for you.
                        Makers like SEIKO now have a big range of high quality watches with all sorts of movements, Kinetic, Automatic, Quartz, Solar.
                        Their quality and prices are well into the 'big name' Swiss watch territory.
                        As with most products, you get what you pay for although the top prestige brands tend to 'underdeliver' just as happens with cars and handbags.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          The day I have to "charge" my watch is the day I will stop wearing one.
                          I collected a watch or two in my time so I know more than some about watches. It seems most collect analogue watch movements but I found I got sick of the inaccuracies. The batteries or capacitors just don't last so most collectors want a movement not reliant on power.

The Samsung watch saves me time every single day and so is a productivity tool.

The charging is just a habit at night to dock it as it never runs out of charge during the day.

Comment

Even the best Automatic/Mechanical watches can't compete with a good Battery/Quartz for accuracy and most people decide at some point how important absolute accuracy is to them.
                            I wind and adjust my mechanical watches at the end of each month and a couple of minutes plus or minus is not a problem for me.
                            As an expert on my watch forum says:

"Dont worry over a few seconds in 24 hours, the escapement of a mechanical watch pushes the gears 432,000 times. Since a day has 86,400 seconds, even a watch that runs five minutes fast or slow each day has an accuracy of over 99.6 percent! A finer mechanical watch that gains or loses about six to nine seconds a day or about a minute a week has a breathtaking precision of over 99.99 per cent. This is very high precision, given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no. If any mechanical watch performs consistently inside the CO SC spec of -4+6 seconds a day I don't think anyone could ask anymore from any purely mechanical watch."

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                              Even the best Automatic/Mechanical watches can't compete with a good Battery/Quartz for accuracy and most people decide at some point how important absolute accuracy is to them.
                              Except maybe a hybrid like a Spring Drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X