Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a guide on the proper use of Cafetto Espresso Clean powder for back wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a guide on the proper use of Cafetto Espresso Clean powder for back wash?

Ok so now I know that there are better ways to clean your head than using the regular sunbeam products, so I have ordered a jar of Cafetto Espresso Clean to backwash my EM6910. The instructions on the container are for, I believe, commercial machines, so can someone shine a light on the preferred way to use it domestically for that machine.
    Thanks in advance.

On the very website of the company who make the stuff...
    https://www.cafetto.com/product/espr...ean#directions

Mal.

Comment

Does this cleaning process require a three-way solenoid to release the back-pressure? I previously had an EM7000 and I'm not sure if this cleaning process would have been suitable for that machine as I don't believe it had a three-way, and not sure if the EM6910 is the same?

Comment

Yep, the 6910 does indeed use a 3-Way Valve and from what I've read, so too does the 7000....
        Meant for use with machines that have this type of valve to release pressure at the completion of pulling a shot.

Mal.

Comment

Hi guys the reason I asked was because I had read somewhere on a thread that you use 1/2 tsp and make a paste and then go from there but the website uses a full scoop, whatever that is in measurements, and then that goes straight into the basket.
          I assume I just use the clean program on the EM6910 which does the stop start.
          But if wiser heads say otherwise I am happy to follow these instructions.
          What is the recommendations for descaling nowadays?
          Thanks again

Comment

• Dimal
            Dimal commented
            Editing a comment
            As Leroy mentions below, a 1/4 teaspoon is more than enough to use at a time in domestic usage situations.

Mal.

I recall that when I had a 6910, Sunbeam advised not to use cafetto because the 6910 contains Teflon coated parts.

Comment

• Dimal
            Dimal commented
            Editing a comment
            There's nothing in Cafetto that will compromise PTFE compounds like Teflon. As an aside, Teflon is practically impervious to most corrosive substances and why it is used so much in chemical industries.

Mal.

• Brewster
            Brewster commented
            Editing a comment
            Sunbeam's attempt to keep you buying their own over priced product maybe???

Yes you can use a little bit of Caffetto. I would use about 1/4 teaspoon, make a paste as you say then use the auto cleaning cycle. I would only use the powder about once a month, but do a back flush at least once a week without it (just using the water in other words).

Comment

• Brewster
            Brewster commented
            Editing a comment
            Leroy, I reckon that back flushing is such quick and easy process, no reason not to do after each session (or am I OCD?)
            Mal

Ok makes sense so 1/4 tsp is basically bugger all and a little water to make a paste, thanks for the tips.Any thoughts on descaling? Just use the SB tablets? Or descaler liquid or vinegar?

Comment

Because the Sunbeam doesn't have an over pressure valve on the pump, it technically can't be backflushed like a commercial machine. The cleaning disk on the Sunbeam has a small hole in it to ensure there is always a relief for the pump. Due to this, the powder can often dissolve faster than is optimal and pour out through this small hole. Some of the solution is still drawn through the group and solenoid but not as much as there could be.
            The tablets dissolve slower and are usually better for use in machines without over pressure valves.

However, this being said, I always backflush Sunbeams with a blind basket. You just need to be vigilant and not allow the pressure to max out. You can buy any 58mm blind basket and use it.
            I will let the machine build pressure up to the first pale yellow quadrant in the gauge then stop it (it's pretty rapid so keep your finger on the button). Let it sit for 20 seconds and repeat. Do this 5 or so times. Rinse the basket and group then repeat the pressure cycling but there's no need to wait the 20 seconds in between, this is just flushing clean water back through.

Comment

• CoffeeHack
              CoffeeHack commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the point I was trying to make in my earlier post! I used the tablets and from memory they weren't that expensive.

Nice explanation n'22...

Mal.

Comment

I have always done a backflush with just water after each session. Use the cafetto every month or two depending on use. You’ll gauge how often you’ll need it based on the residue etc around the shower screen and colour of the expelled solution. Cheers

Comment

Better to use the backflush detergent more often than not enough otherwise you will end up with an accreted deposit of rancid coffee oils over time (turns into a varnish due to oxidation). A 1/4 teaspoon of detergent once per week is all that's needed.
                The group internals are designed to operate such that residue coffee oils provide the necessary lubrication. After the first 'seasoning' shot, all the internal components are ready to go again; never used lube on any of my machines unless I was doing a full annual service. Never experienced excessive wear on the lever cam or valve stems, etc...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X