Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loss of Australia's manufacturing industry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Australia's manufacturing industry.

Lima Declaration, was unaware of it's existence, certainly explains a lot about the decline in industry and agriculture in Australia, thanks Gough! or, am I being led up the garden path?

Was also unaware of TOTT News, seems pretty left wing, opinions? https://tottnews.com/
    https://tottnews.com/2018/11/19/lima-declaration-un/

I went to their home page and the first two articles were about the success of an Anti-Vax bus tour and how COVID 19 is a psyop.

I needed a laugh!

Comment

This does not appear to be a balanced site that properly discusses the question of protection of Australian industry.

Protection policy debate in Australia goes back before Federation when the Victorian protectionists argued with the NSW free traders. Then Australia developed under a form of protection that gave concessions to farmers (and miners) etc (who typically benefit from free trade) in return for protection of Australian industry. Post war there has been a general relaxation of protection in recognition that if done properly it can lead to a more competitive economy and economic growth.

However there need to be special forms of retained protection to protect national interest. Defence industries are obvious cases. I would argue the complex arrangements that enabled Australia to have an auto industry, especially after nurtured by the 'Button' plan was another. This was demolished by the Abbott Government and in my opinion was an unwise decision.

That link to the UN is not particularly relevant.

Comment

A look into the writings on TOTTnews suggests that they aren't left wing at all but more aligned with conspiracy theories held by the emerging but strangely mixed group of the extreme right and paranoid new agers, sourcing all their beliefs from twitter, FB and youtube, the places where 'real' research happens and truth apparently exists.

Comment

• prh
          prh commented
          Editing a comment
          "Libertarians" might be a better description.

• Barry O'Speedwagon
          Barry O'Speedwagon commented
          Editing a comment
          That, or 'fruitloops'.

• Ted2013
          Ted2013 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with all the above

Originally posted by Dipendente View Post
        I went to their home page and the first two articles were about the success of an Anti-Vax bus tour and how COVID 19 is a psyop.

I needed a laugh!

Not to mention their "exclusive" locations of 5G towers ( which is just public RFNSA maps) and the article on driverless vehicles as I assume your average conspiracy nutter is too busy looking at 5G towers and their Facebook feed to be able to drive well but even then they managed to turn the story into big brother watching you.

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry.

Comment

There's certainly no shortage of people with strange thought processing out there.
          I guess with all the connectivity for anyone who wants it, we get to see or read more about them but I think they have always been "out there"...

Mal.

Comment

Yeah, way, way out there. Lost in the darkness of their own making.

Java "Goes back to his book clearly labeled Fiction" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

The world if full of lost, confused and rudderless people who naturally gravitate towards individuals and philosophies (I use the term lightly) that claim to offer an explanation or solution.
              I used to think most of these resided in the USA (philosophies and individuals) but social media has made them readily accessible to everyone.
              As we become more 'Americanised' we seem to be losing our characteristic Australian 'common sense' and grasp on reality.

Comment

I'll take a good fantasy over reality any time. It doesn't pay the rent though.

Comment

Lets hope QAnon does not get a foot in here.

Comment

What makes you think it hasn't?

Java "?" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

• Barry O'Speedwagon
                      Barry O'Speedwagon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It definitely has, albeit at a low level of incidence. Not all of the ##$4stirrers who spin the QAnon conspiracy stories necessarily believer them (some are just trolls or attention-seekers). But I know a couple of clowns who genuinely believe this rot.

Seems to be quite easy to get caught in these conspiracies. One leads to another and they seem to end up all at the same place.

Comment

This was touched upon on Monday night's Q&A on the ABC. Wikipedia is a good place to look to debunk a lot of these spurious conspiracy theories.

Comment

I suspect paranoia doesn't spend much time on Wikipedia.

Comment

I believe it was Churchill who said, "The best argument against democracy is a half hour conversation with the average voter."

Comment

• OCD
                            OCD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            To be fair, he should have added, "The best argument for democracy is a half hour reflection on the excesses of untrammeled rulers."

• Javaphile
                            Javaphile commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Are you sure it wasn't a half hour conversation with the average politician?

Java "" phile

• OCD
                            OCD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nah! I think that's the best argument for embracing the bottle.
                        Working...
                        X