Landing on Mars: Seven Minutes of Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing on Mars: Seven Minutes of Terror

Its all about to happen, seven months for the Perseverance rover to get there, now its almost show time, hope it goes well.?

Part two.

Courtesy of NASA.

Perseverance: Seven Minutes to Mars

Comment

Nineteen hours and counting!

Java "Almost there!" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

It has a helicopter on board too!

Comment

NASA's live broadcast of the landing begins in an hour and ten minutes at 19:15UTC and can be found at https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timel.../watch-online/ and https://youtu.be/gm0b_ijaYMQ with links to additional platforms and different languages available on the first link above.

Enjoy!

Java "Good luck Perseverance!" phile

Comment

• saeco_user
            saeco_user commented
            Editing a comment
            Surely you mean "delayed" broadcast!!

• Javaphile
            Javaphile commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope, it was a live broadcast. It was not recorded and then later broadcast. If you wish to label this as a delayed broadcast then everything you see and hear no matter its source or point of origin would have to be labeled as a delayed broadcast as no matter how close the source is to you there will always be a measurable delay between the event occurring and your brain perceiving the event having happened and there would be no such thing as a live broadcast.

Java "Sues the world's Media for a Trillion Billion dollars for a lifetime of emotional damage due to their false labeling of programs as Live" phile

Perseverance has landed!!!!!

Java "We have telemetry from the surface!!!" phile

Comment

• Andy
            Andy commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't think I've seen that many people hold their breath for so long.

• Javaphile
            Javaphile commented
            Editing a comment
            No kidding Andy, you could hear a pin drop...on carpeting!

Java "Was one of them" phile

For those that can remember, very reminiscent of the Apollo 11 mission in 1969, the first manned moon landing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

Great achievement by the Perseverance Rover team, lets hope the mission continues to go as well as the landing.

Comment

First pic from the surface taken by Perseverance moments after landing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Perseverance-1st.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	857875

The pic is low res as it was taken by the engineering camera which is used for steering and has a blurry look as a protective glass cover was still in place over the lens which has dust on it that was raised in the landing and there is still dust in the air around Perseverance from the landing.

Java "WooHoo!" phile

Comment

Guess you could say the broadcast was delayed due to the fact that radio signals take between 5 and 20 minutes to cover the almost 206 million kilometers from Mars to Earth, not a whole lot we can do about that.

The broadcast we received was as fast as it could possibly be in this day and age.

I consider myself privileged to have been around for both the Apollo11 mission and this latest event, wondrous stuff. ?

Comment

• Dimal
                Dimal commented
                Editing a comment
                I consider myself privileged to have been around for both the Apollo11 mission and this latest event, wondrous stuff. ?
                Me too - wonderful indeed...

Absolutely incredible!

Comment

The decent and landing footage from Perseverance is now available for viewing: https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/2562...-camera-views/

NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance mission captured thrilling footage of its rover landing in Mars' Jezero Crater on Feb. 18, 2021. The real footage in this video was captured by several cameras that are part of the rover's entry, descent, and landing suite. The views include a camera looking down from the spacecraft's descent stage (a kind of rocket-powered jet pack that helps fly the rover to its landing site), a camera on the rover looking up at the descent stage, a camera on the top of the aeroshell (a capsule protecting the rover) looking up at that parachute, and a camera on the bottom of the rover looking down at the Martian surface.

The audio embedded in the video comes from the mission control call-outs during entry, descent, and landing.

Java "Oh to be there..." phile

Comment

Working...
                X