Metal Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Lathe

So, im thinking about buying a lathe. Would love to get something vintage, but not sure if i have the budget for that. Anyone here have experience with the mini lathes from vevor or Sieg(or similar)? Or should i just keep saving for a couple years until i can afford a nice old lathe like a Myford or one of the Southbend imatations? Not sure if i have the space for a really big lathe, which is why im looking at mini lathes or something upto the size of a southbend 9inch
    Attached Files

my $0.02, I've heard it more that once lathe's are like slow cookers, seems like a good idea at the time but eventually you realize its a waste of money. Anything I need done I take to a local engineering workshop.

That said, I love my slow cooker so make of that what you will.

Comment

• TailorCoffee
      TailorCoffee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeh, im definitely starting to fabricate more and the lathe will allow me to do a bunch of extra things. Not an absolute need, but it will make it a lot easier than having to go somewhere everytime i need something done. Now the 2 extra coffee machines at home, they might not be so necessary haha

If it flies, floats, fornicates or....flings metal-hire it don't buy it.
    How about checking in with your local Men's shed?

Comment

• TailorCoffee
      TailorCoffee commented
      Editing a comment
      im a member of the one by me. its great and they have a lathe, but you need someone around when using it and they only have a couple days in the metal shop and only for the mornings, so very restrictive time wise. but, a great resource nonetheless

I have a metal lathe in my shed, I wouldn’t want to be without it . It’s an old Taiwanese job, rebadged under many names, mine has a Forbes badge, it’s a 12x24. When I got it, it had a 2hp single phase motor, I changed it to a 3 phase motor and put a VFD on it, this runs off 240v, but gives it variable speed and reverse at the twist of a dial.
    Not sure if you are familiar with the Australian Metalwork Forum, it’s similar to this place, but obviously a different theme. Good and helpful people over there, where you’ll get plenty of help and advice for all things metalworking.

Comment

• TailorCoffee
      TailorCoffee commented
      Editing a comment
      cheers. will start lurking around that forum. thanks for the tip

By all means buy a metal lathe - they are way more useful than you would first think. Having one opens up a lot of option for modifying and repairing things. And metal lathes are like coffee machines - you can start with a small, basic, budget one, and upgrade later if you want to. A little Sieg will keep you amused while you keep an eye out for a something more capable. It may take a year or so to find something nice, so be patient. Anyway, best of luck.

Comment

• TailorCoffee
      TailorCoffee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank Stavros. I might pm you with some questions at some point. cheers!

Originally posted by Stavros View Post
    By all means buy a metal lathe - they are way more useful than you would first think. Having one opens up a lot of option for modifying and repairing things. And metal lathes are like coffee machines - you can start with a small, basic, budget one, and upgrade later if you want to.
    I agree 100%, once you've got one, you will find reasons to use it. You'll also find reasons why you need to upgrade lol.

Comment

So, i landed up getting a mini lathe. If anyone wants a custom tamper base, let me know and ill happily turn one for you. cheers

Comment

I'll PM you Tailor. Be later this arvo once cleared the swamp of an in tray !!

Comment

Working...
        X