In praise of Stove-top brews (+ Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In praise of Stove-top brews (+ Pics)

I was rambling about the quality its possible to get from a stove top in another thread (I do that from time to time). Dont get me wrong, I love my Silvia and the shots it produces, but sometimes I crave a pot of coffee I can drink slowly over 2-3 cups and savour the changing flavours as the brew cools, especially in the mornings.

Here are some pics of this mornings brew: its some Ethiopian Harar (2005 crop) I roasted 3 weeks ago, yet the berry flavours are as prominent as ever. Yumm.

Re: In praise of Stove-top brews (+ Pics)

Yep, Im a great fan of the simple old Moka Pot. With experience and some fine tuning of your method you can get some fine brews.

Comment

Hey robster,
      how do you get such a luscious crema ..
      whilst i swear by my stove top pot, i never get a crema apearing ... though even crema-less (hmm, is that a word ?) the end result is better then 95% of the cafes ... and all for a pultry $60 dollar investment ;D
      BeanBrat

Comment

thats quite amazing

Comment

Originally posted by BeanBrat link=1175047754/0#2 date=1175055753
          Hey robster,
          how do you get such a luscious crema ..
          BeanBrat, my tips are here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174971088/3#3

As Luca pointed out in that thread, the people at stumptowncoffee.com add that you can also wrap a cold, wet towel around the bottom of the pot when you want it to stop brewing.

Comment

Thanks Robster ..
            i had a quick read of the link and will try my luck over the next few days
            BeanBrat

Comment

Excellent work Robster .. I will be doing some testing on this method...

Comment

I forgot to say:

I use the same grind for the stove-top as I do for Silvias single basket (which is only one notch coarser than I use for Silvias double basket).

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

I purchased over-sized stovetops before I found youre meant to have lots of coffee and less water than the soup bowls I was drinking.

This motivates me to get a new 2-cup stainless unit. I really love the Presso, but nothing gives out aroma of a brew or rocket-take-off steam sounds I love, like the stovetop

Oh bummer, I just read in the other thread all the good tips for a good stovetop means less steaming aroma, and no rocket-take-off steam noise! Perhaps buy the 1c/g vac pack stuff just for the burn

Comment

Originally posted by Stoveboy link=1175047754/0#8 date=1176038302
                    . . . Oh bummer, I just read in the other thread all the good tips for a good stovetop means less steaming aroma, and no rocket-take-off steam noise! Perhaps buy the 1c/g vac pack stuff just for the burn
                    The aromas still there - I think its even better - but youre right about the lack of rocket-launch sound effects.

Comment

Rocket launch sounds = Rocket Fuel coffee.

Comment

man that is one awesome looking crema from a stovetop!

Comment

Are you sure you just didnt pull a shot from your silvia into the Stove Pot : :-X

Comment

Hehehe.

No, my Silvia shots look like this:

Comment

Wow! Love that photo Robster 8-)...... If you could isolate that perfect sphere of perfection and blow it up in an appropriate background, youd have Planet Nirvana in the System Espresso.....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X