Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s Orange Baby Gaggia

Hey guys.
    I just signed up about 10 mins ago - seems like this is the place to find some help/info on an old 1970s Orange Baby Gaggia.

Weve had one in our office forever since my 83 year old boss from Italy brought over 6 of them to OZ back in the day, and I fell in love with it as it punches out perfect crema topped espressos everyday - to this day for the past 30+ years. So I decided to go out and hunt one down for my own home. Ive got one now, but Im finding it really hard to find any instructions/info/maintenance data on it anywhere. Id like to know what modifications can be made to it, if its possible to get parts for it, what current parts are compatible etc, etc.

Anyone got any tips on this piece of Gaggia history?

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: 1970s Orange Baby Gaggia

Welcome to Coffee Snobs yeeza.

Coffee Parts (see sponsor list on the left) would be a good starting point for parts.
    Pedro knows all.

Comment

Gday yeeza and Welcome to CoffeeSnobs from me too [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Found this photo while hunting around and wonder if this is the same as yours?

Mal.

Comment

Yup, thats the one!

Comment

Theres no mistaking its Italian heritage, thats for sure 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Gaggia testarossa - its cute!

Comment

Its the Baby that matches my early model MDF grinder, which I still use daily.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachments/tamper.jpg

Id like to restore my white 80s Baby one day, but I had the impression that parts like the boiler were diifferent to that of the Classic or current Baby. That 70s model remained unchanged well into the 80s.

Coffeeparts.com seem to stock parts for a Baby Gran Gaggia, but I gather these are not Baby-compatible.

Comment

A quick call to Pedro at CoffeeParts (as TG has mentioned) may provide some direction re: parts acquisition

Mal.

Comment

Wow!!! what a fab machine. I love it.

If it is anything like a classic youve got yourself a great peoice of machinery. Gaggias may not look sexy, but they do a fantastic job.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1175736343/0#8 date=1175836858
                    Wow!!! what a fab machine. I love it.

If it is anything like a classic youve got yourself a great piece of machinery. Gaggias may not look sexy, but they do a fantastic job.
                    Oh I dunno Cindy?

Thats a pretty darn nice looking and sexy machine in my opinion,

Mal.

Comment

I think it is sexy too. Dont get me wrong, Iwas comparing to ECM machnes with all their chrome etc.

Im a retro kind of girl though.

Comment

Wow. I just won one on eBay and it arrived today. I found th is site while looking for information about it....Fancy that.

Im mildly (mildly? maybe wildly) intimidated by some of what I dont know about this.
                        (Ive been using a Gaggia Coffee for a few years now).

If you find instructions etc., please post them or post directions to finding them.
                        I will do the same.

Also the unit I got doesnt have a drip tray, so I am on the lookout for one...

Glad to meet you all.
                        Susan

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Susan.

Congratultions on the new machine.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.
                            THis morning my new OBG got its test run, and I have to say I was sorely disappointed in its steaming ability/capacity. I think Ive been spoiled by my Coffee.

Anyone know if I can change this wand out?

Comment

Hi Susan,
                              Was that the one from the US? I think I saw that one too. Glad to see it made its way over here. Yeah still no luck in finding instructions for it, but its fairly simple to use. Ive sussed most of it out by now. Although I havent given it a proper run with coffee as I wan to clean it all internally before I use it. All the buttons seem to be doing everything right though.
                              Ill let you know if I learn of anything new to help you out!
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X