Breville Ikon Espresso Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Ikon Espresso Machine

I am considering purchasing the Breville Ikon Espresso Machine (BES400), and would appreciate feedback anyone might be able to provide on this product.

I currently use a Breville Cafe Roma at work, and had planned to purchase this same unit before coming across the Ikon.  On paper it seems well specified for the price, and currently it is being promoted with a free conical burr grinder (BCG450).

Going from a Thermoblock machine with supermarket, pre-ground coffee, to a boiler machine and fresh ground coffee seems to be a logical step?  Are there any other good options I should compare, considering the sub $300 price tag?

All advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Breville Ikon Espresso Machine

Hi stucci,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Dont know anything about the Breville Ikon but found a review about one here (though probably not completely unbiased) that might help you out,

Cheers,
    Mal.

Comment

Hi stucci and welcome to CoffeeSnobs....

The machine looks to be quite capable of good coffee.... Just one issue - it (like most cheaper domestic machines) has a dual wall basket. It is used to produce something looking like crema from old stale supermarket coffee. If you use fresh beans it will reduce the quality compared to what it could be without the dual wall baskets. You can sometimes get "normal" baskets to fit these machines - but I couldnt find the size of the PF so not sure with this model.

The grinder is a burr grinder - a "multi-purpose coffee and spice grinder" according to their site. This will not be good enough for a normal espresso machine (for example if you replace the baskets on the BES400).... You will find the steps will be pretty large (grinding for a normal basket requires fine steps) and the burrs wont be very accurate.

The combo (as supplied) will make reasonable coffee without any modification.... with normal baskets it will make very good, possibly even great coffee (with good technique) - but for that you would also need a better grinder.

Comment

Stainless Steel Boiler... interesting... I wonder how big the boiler is.??

Comment

I have used it and its not too bad....I think the boiler is 200ml...

What it needs is a 3 way valve and non-pressurised baskets......Of the cheapies, it gets a big thumbs up...

2mcm

Comment

Big call from you Chris... wow... 200mil.... bigger than the Gaggia boiler...

very interesting... Sunbeam really do have some competition now :P:P:-)

Comment

Thanks for all of the information, this has been helpful.

I have measured the basket, with the hope it is interchangeable with other machines, it is 53mm in diameter and approximately 23mm high. I will do some research, but has anyone out there already gone down this path?

Once again, thanks for the comments.

Comment

Stucci,

If it is 53 mm there are saeco and Krups non pressurised baskets which should fit.

You would need to take the PF to a service centre / spare parts supplier for the above machines in your state..... and see if you can find one which fits. You are basically replacing the supplied basket with a "normal" basket from a different manufacturer.

Hope that helps.

Comment

by all accounts, it sounds like being a half decent machine, SS boiler and all and getting the saeco/\/krups baskets... I wonder if the SS (boiler) is of any decent quality? (The Magnet trick)

Comment

Yep, stainless steel boiler and electronic temperature control of the boiler temperature using a thermistor in the boiler.... should make for very tight control of brew temperature (kinda like a simple PID)....

The machine does look very interesting and with decent baskets (and a good grinder) should perform very well.

Definitely a very good value for money machine at this price point.

Comment

Originally posted by stucci link=1178803379/0#6 date=1178859270
                      Thanks for all of the information, this has been helpful.

I have measured the basket, with the hope it is interchangeable with other machines, it is 53mm in diameter and approximately 23mm high.  I will do some research, but has anyone out there already gone down this path?

Once again, thanks for the comments.
                      I have both Krupps baskets, I will get some accurate measurments for you tonight
                      all the Breville machines using that baket size have been the same so the krupps should fit

Comment

Very interesting machine... Im really interested in taking one for a drive

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1178803379/0#5 date=1178857596
                          .. Sunbeam really do have some competition now :P:P:-)
                          ... and Silvia.

It is on sale for $278 at Domayne right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Monti link=1178803379/0#12 date=1179807325
                            Originally posted by marcstolk link=1178803379/0#5 date=1178857596
                            .. Sunbeam really do have some competition now    :P:P:-)
                            ... and Silvia.

It is on sale for $278 at Domayne right now.
                            I wouldnt be worrying too much if I was Silvia, however, its not a bad start point for those on a tight budget. With a depressurised p/f (if it can be done), I think it will be a good pickup....As per usual, it will still need a good grinder....

2mcm

Comment

Also, this Breville Ikon looks very nice, indeed. If you want a Silvia, make sure not to show this one to the Mrs.

Comment

Working...
                              X