Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Pro 800ES

Hi all,

Ive been reading this forum for the last week and this weekend went out to buy a machine at the sales at Myer.
    I was aiming at the Breville Ikon (BES400) but they were selling them for $399 which is silly money, so I ended up with an 800ES for $400 on sale because I figured if everyone is saying the Ikon is good then surely the Pro is as good if not better right?
    Well now Im worried after reading what some people have been saying about the 800ES in here.

Ive tried it with the pressurised baskets and Im not overly impressed.
    Has anyone tried it with the replacement Krups baskets yet? Please tell me the extraction time gets better.
    The coffee seems to come out pretty watery at the moment. When I add milk, the coffee loses just about all its taste.
    Also, when removing the portafilter, there is water on the top of the puck and the puck comes out like slop and not in one nice piece.
    Is this due to the pressurised baskets? Or is it more to do with the grind? Or am I not tamping hard enough?
    Im happy to go out and buy some cheap beans and play around until I sort the fineness of the grind and the tamp pressure out, but I want to make sure Im not wasting my time on a dud machine.

Im using a EM0450 on a setting of about 5.

Any tips?
    Are these the right non pressurised baskets to go for?
    Part number for the Krups non-pressurised double basket is MS0907163, $11.12+GST.
    Number for the non-pressurised single basket is MS0925592, $13.84+GST

Am I asking too many questions for a n00b?
    Cheers.

Re: Breville Pro 800ES

The Ikon is a boiler machine (better for steaming) the Pro is a thermo block. the espresso from them is probably pretty similar,
    the main difference being in how the water is heated. You have the pro now so best to not think too hard about it. if the coffee is coming out watery and with little flavor then you may have one of two issues or both. You need a finer grind (most likely) and also are your beans fresh roasted? (no more the a few weeks old.) Also how long had your machine been on? 5 min? it will probably need a good half hour to an hour for everything to get hot, if its not then you wont be getting all the flavor from the coffee.

On the subject of pressurized baskets they will always give a soggy puck so dont worry untill you get them unpressurized. Also I dont know if the Pro has a 3 way valve so even with unpressurized baskets you may still get soggy pucks. Its not necessarily an indication of whats in the cup, so dont worry too much.

Cheers I hope that helped.

Comment

Id be more concerned that the EM0450 is set at 5.... Id be call Sunbeam about that... it should be around the 12-16 area for Espresso...

Comment

Ive been reading a bit more about it and Im seriously tempted to take it back now.
        People and saying its a bit rubbish for steaming milk (I want to practice coffee art) and that even with the Krups baskets its better, but still not all that great.

I got it at Myer and its been less than a week, so Im guessing I can just clean it and box it up and take it back.
        I got it on special though with the American Express stuff that was going on on the weekend, so I hope they dont make me give my $120 gift card back

If I was going to get something between $400 and $520 from Myer, what would be the machine to go for?

As for the grinder, the beans arent freshly roasted.
        Ill head off to a local roaster and pick some up and see what a setting of 12-16 produces.

Thanks.

Comment

Fair enough... but still... setting of 5 on my EM0480 (same internally as the EM0450) produces powder!

Comment

Originally posted by O_P link=1180922645/0#3 date=1180930567

If I was going to get something between $400 and $520 from Myer, what would be the machine to go for?

As for the grinder, the beans arent freshly roasted.
            Ill head off to a local roaster and pick some up and see what a setting of 12-16 produces.

Thanks.
            dont worry about numbers with grinders. they are never the same. just worry about whether the pour is too fast. take it a step finer. or two slow, take it a step courser.

in the price range you mention from myer I would get gaggia classic. If you dont have to buy from myer I would get an Imat. (I think they are about that price)

Comment

Hey sorry I dont have much input here, but I just thought Id add I prefer my sunbeam grinder set at 10... 5 would totally clog the machine I use and probably explode!
              heh..
              Im so helpful arent i..

Comment

Originally posted by O_P link=1180922645/0#3 date=1180930567
                <snip>
                If I was going to get something between $400 and $520 from Myer, what would be the machine to go for?<snip>
                Erm...might I suggest something which doesnt come from Myer  :-?.....They know about as much about coffee and espresso machines as I do about running department stores

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1180922645/0#5 date=1180931511
                  dont worry about numbers with grinders. they are never the same. just worry about whether the pour is too fast. take it a step finer. or two slow, take it a step courser.
                  I agree. Plus with different machine/dose/beans/roast/ambient conditions, you cannot compare grind numbers even if there was no manufacturing tolerance.

Id get a Sunbeam Ristretto if you want to stay below $400. (a friend with one of these + depressurised basket can get really quite decent espresso with a EM480C grinder - set around 5). Zero cred for fashion but the most cost effective espresso you can get.

Comment

Keep the machine now that you bought it.
                    It will steam enough to froth milk for two. It might just take a little longer but in turn it will make it easier to get it right. It seems that you are a beginner so a little less steaming power could be a good thing for you. I have the Sunbeam EM6900 which is also a thermoblock and it can froth beautiful microfoam.
                    IMO, the grinder is fine and so is the espresso machine. They will serve you well if you learn how to make the most of it. Change the basket if you can, though.

Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto EM2300 is well bellow $400, indeed. It costs only $99.95 RRP and less if you can bargain a git.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1180922645/0#7 date=1180933455
                      Erm...might I suggest something which doesnt come from Myer :-?.....They know about as much about coffee and espresso machines as I do about running departmant stores
                      Well thats why Im asking you guys for advice and not them
                      I have the $120 gift voucher for Myer now, so I kinda want to use that.
                      The Gaggia Classic looks nice.

From what Ive read now it looks like Id be better off taking it back than trying to stick it out with the Krups baskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Monti link=1180922645/0#9 date=1180939146
                        Keep the machine now that you bought it.
                        It will steam enough to froth milk for two. It might just take a little longer but in turn it will make it easier to get it right. It seems that you are a beginner so a little less steaming power could be a good thing for you. I have the Sunbeam EM6900 which is also a thermoblock and it can froth beautiful microfoam.
                        IMO, the grinder is fine and so is the espresso machine. They will serve you well if you learn how to make the most of it. Change the basket if you can, though.
                        <snip>
                        Just read the above after posting. So conflicted now...
                        Ive done a barista and coffee art course at coffeeschool.com.au and we were using commercial machines there, so in terms of steaming power Im fine and can get pretty good microfoam going on a commercial machine.
                        The E6910 looks awesome, but Im not sure if I want to drop the extra $300 on it. But then if $120 of that is going to be a gift voucher...

Comment

Id recommend returning it, spend the $120 on some nice Luigi Bormioli glasses, or some quality cookware whilst their sale is on.

Perhaps a nice TV or DVD or sound system. Maybe an iPod.

Speak to one of the sponsors. Give them a budget and see what they can tell you. Its WELL worth the effort.

You might spend more now, but youll spend a lot less later.

Comment

Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto EM2300 is well bellow $400, indeed.  It costs only $99.95 RRP and less if you can bargain a git.  
                            Ive seen them for $69.95 - dead set bargain...

Comment

Originally posted by kaanage link=1180922645/0#13 date=1180941554
                              Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto EM2300 is well bellow $400, indeed. It costs only $99.95 RRP and less if you can bargain a git.
                              Ive seen them for $69.95 - dead set bargain...
                              Are these any better than the Breville Bar Italia? Because I have one of those at work and Im not all that impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X