Sunbeam EM4800C Cafe Crema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM4800C Cafe Crema

I picked one of these units up last week and have been mildly happy with it. My biggest problem is that the flow seems to be very quick (sub 5 seconds before it goes blonde) and no matter how hard I tamp it, it still flows very quickly. I am using ground beans from a store called The Grind in the Central Markets, Adelaide. The guy there said the grind setting he used is what works best for most home espresso machines.
    Does anyone have any hints to help me out and also any opinions on the machine. All the reviews that I have seen seem to give it the thumbs up, I just want to get the most out of it!

Cheers,

Fil

Re: Sunbeam EM4800C Cafe Crema

Hi Fil, welcome to CS!
    I have one of these (my old machine) and there are a heap of things that could be attributing to the problems with your shots.

1. Stale coffee (once ground it is stale within 3 mins). So start saving for a grinder...  
    2. The pressurised baskets that come with your machine produce fake "crema" and are designed for stale supermarket coffee. Many lower end sunbeam users replace these with Krups non-pressurised baskets (you must freshly grind to use these).
    3. Underdosing. The recommended method is to overfill the basket lightly tamp, top up to a heap again then tamp.
    4. The grind is too coarse which is leading to under extraction.
    5. Tamper. If you are using the supplied plastic thing you wont be tamping hard enough no matter what you do.

This is just to mention a few! Other CSs will surely respond soon with more advice.
    BTW these are things that have worked for me if im wrong however im sure the experts around here will correct me...  My EM4800C can consistently pull a double shot of 60ml in 25 seconds (give or take a ml/sec or two).

Now that you have discovered CS the bug will surely bite.

Best of luck  

Comment

Great advise...

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Now when you say 60ml in 25 seconds does that mean from the second you switch on the machine or when it actually starts to come out. I just went over to the coffee shop (The Grind) and they graciously gave me another bag on a grind setting of 3 (previous was 4) so well see how that goes!

Comment

Well, the timing thing gets a bit murky sometimes.
          I always say 60mls in 30 seconds from the time you flick the switch.

It is a great place to start.

Generally, it will take about 5 seconds before the pour starts to come out if the grind/tamp is in the right ballpark.

Once you start to get this sort of timing on a consistent basis, then you can fiddle around with some of the nuances of timings.

For some people, they mean 25 seconds from the start of the pour, some people mean 25 seconds in total because they prefer a slightly restricted shot.

I found this kind of thing a bit confusing when starting out, so I always say 60mls/30 seconds (for a double) from the time you flick the switch.

Long winded way to say that, wasnt it?

Brett.

Comment

Hehe nah that kinda clears it up! So for a single shot thatd be 17.5secs from when ya flick the switch?

Also, with the crema, how much of a shot should you aim for to be crema? I noticed some coffee blends have next to none and some have heaps!?

Comment

Crema is dependant on a number of factors.
              Freshness of beans, and how long ago they were ground, type of beans, amount of robusta in blend, proper grind, tamp, temperature when extracting etc.

Pressurised baskets also create false crema.

Comment

Originally posted by Filby link=1188874457/0#5 date=1188884700
                Hehe nah that kinda clears it up! So for a single shot thatd be 17.5secs from when ya flick the switch?
                Nope! The timing of the shot should remain the same regardless of the size basket youre using. The only thing that should change is the amount extracted.

Java "Numbers, numbers everywhere, and liquid gold to drink!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Filby link=1188874457/0#5 date=1188884700
                  I thought that comment was a joke based on my long-winded answer.

Comment

Im a bit confused on how you would end up with the same time when using a single shot as there is less back pressure on the machine and you are making less coffee?? Doesnt make engineering sense. Its like turning a tap fully open and expecting to get 5lts in a bucket in the same time that it takes to fill 10lts...

Anyway, I tried ou the number 3 grind and it made the machine slow down quite a bit which i think is a good thing. The coffee tastes quite a bit stronger though with the coffee they gave me im getting almost no crema. Also a couple of times when I have take off the PF after making the coffee, wet coffee grinds spurted everywhere!

Fil

Comment

Originally posted by Filby link=1188874457/0#9 date=1189214551
                      Im a bit confused on how you would end up with the same time when using a single shot as there is less back pressure on the machine and you are making less coffee?? Doesnt make engineering sense. Its like turning a tap fully open and expecting to get 5lts in a bucket in the same time that it takes to fill 10lts...
                      Gday Filby,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs by the way [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

If you have a close look at the underside of both the Double and Single shot baskets, you will notice that the Single basket has roughly half the number of holes through which the liquor must flow. This, coupled with properly ground, dosed and tamped coffee will result in a shot that is half the volume poured in the same amount of time as a Double. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Filby link=1188874457/0#9 date=1189214551
                        What Mal said!

Anyway, I tried ou the number 3 grind and it made the machine slow down quite a bit which i think is a good thing. The coffee tastes quite a bit stronger though with the coffee they gave me im getting almost no crema. Also a couple of times when I have take off the PF after making the coffee, wet coffee grinds spurted everywhere!
                        Your machine most likely does not have a 3-way valve to relieve the pressure in the grouphead at the end of the shot. As a result you must wait some time for the pressure to equalize via leaking through the puck before removing the portafilter. Otherwise you get a coffee shower! ;D

Java "Prefers to drink it rather than shower in it!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Ahh. Hrmm I would think it has a 3 way valve in it due to when you close off either the head or the steaming wand it dumps a lot of steam out through the base and into the drip tray?
                          How does going to a de-pressurised basket change the end result? I see a lot of people around using the Krups baskets but I dont understand how this changes the end coffee?

Cheers

Fil

Comment

Originally posted by Filby link=1188874457/0#12 date=1189311378
                            How does going to a de-pressurised basket change the end result? I see a lot of people around using the Krups baskets but I dont understand how this changes the end coffee?

Cheers

Fil
                            Hi Fil, Welcome to CoffeeSnobs

Have a read of :

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1180165483/#10

That was a discussion re the Ikon, but the info is the same for the EM4800C

Comment

Cafe Crema EM4800C Tempo Low

Hi

My machine coffee is a little low ( I pre heat cups ) so I decided to measure the temp the water was extracted to the coffee . I removed the handle for the machine, placed a preheated cup under the head and extracted water into the cup from the machine and measure the temperature , and measure 72 degree C.

The book says that the thermo block head heats the water to 92 degrees C. So if the thermo block does this then I would expect over 88 degrees C to come out of the head.

What do you guys get ? Or does anyone know what the range should be ?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X