Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups basket

Thought some of you might be interested in an alternative to the Krups basket replacement. My sister bought an Ikon recently and after a lot of ringing trying to track down the Krups baskets here in Melbourne I remembered I had seen an old Breville boiler machine in a cupboard at work.

Wouldnt you know it, the double basket is a perfect fit!! Nice and snug and doesnt fall out in the bang bang either. It came from a Breville Bar Italia. The one I had was at least 5 years old but I saw a new one in Good Guys and the basket looked just the same. Figure it might be easier to track down a Breville basket than a Krups.

It is the double basket (the Bar Italia comes with a quad basket as well) the full 14g for a double, leveled. Has made a big difference to the shots, not quite as creamy and thick as I get from my Gaggias but not too bad.

Here are some pix

Cheers
    Derek

Re: Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups baske

Nice work Sherlock - so is the Breville double a pressurised or a non-pressurised basket?

Comment

Now all we need is a comparison between the krups and breville unpressurised baskets.
      Dont suppose you have a part number?

dave

Comment

What kind of comparison?

Comment

Hmmm,

My son owned one of these units I believe and Im quite certain it used pressurised baskets intended for use with stale supermarket coffee :P, not the stuff we like to drink ,

Mal.

Comment

It looks a lot like the Krups double basket, especially the outside shape.

Comment

Hi,

It is a single walled basket, all the perforations go straight through. The still sell what looks like this model (with a facelift) at GoodGuys, I am guessing that Breville run a standard diameter basket for most of their low end machines.

You can always just take your portafilter into Goodguys and try it out. Not sure who does spares for Breville though.

Cheers
              Derek

Comment

Posted by: Thundergod Posted on: Yesterday at 23:12
                What kind of comparison?  
                crema vs crema etc, etc

Comment

I saw this in BigW today so I checked out the baskets. Looked single wall to me.

The Ikon baskets are a bit dodgy. Is there any reason why you wouldnt buy the Krups ones, is it just if you had the others laying around? In the New Year I might look at ordering some Krupps, but for the moment (aside from the cleaning) I am happy with the Ikon baskets. They are a real bitch to clean, so much worse than the Roma ones.

If you use the Krupps ones, I have read a lot of people mention they get zero crema. So how would one improve that? Does it all then come down to grinder and grind? In which case I dont think I want to open that can of worms ;-)

Comment

I checked these out today, they are definately a non-pressurised basket! 8-)

Andrew

Comment

My mistake :-[,

Eldest son owned a Cafe Roma and this is/was definitely a dual wall basket machine. The Bar Italia is Steam Pressure machine and therein is the reason that this uses single wall baskets I guess. Would be an interesting experiment if you can get the baskets from Breville, would make for a very easy swap instead of using the Krupps baskets which apparently can be a bit loose in the PF....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Secksy link=1197963857/0#9 date=1198059743
                        I checked these out today, they are definately a non-pressurised basket!  8-)

Andrew
                        Definitely so

Comment

GDay Snobs

For anyone whos interested, Ive found the breville Bar Italia basket at a place in Seven Hills NSW called OBriens Electrical.

The only reason I didnt purchase it beacause its virtually identical to the Krups basket I have already, so if anyone wants it...its there awaiting!!!  8-)

Regards & Merry Christmas
                          Andrew

Comment

picked up one on the way home from work. 8-)  The service agent had one in stock

Still waiting for Krups baskets ordered a couple of weeks ago. At least now ive got a depressurised basket for when Santa drops off the Ikon.

Comment

nbc Im interested in your thoughts about the non-pressurised baskets with that grinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X