Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Espresso, pwns the cheepies?

Hey just joined,

I went to buy an espresso machine cause i got donated a coffee grinder, and I had done some cafe work and am starting to like coffee
    Now went into a Myer and they had a few machines that looked pretty nice although some was too expensive... there was this Gaggia which was in plastic but around 450 (EDIT - I THINK IT MAY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN 350) - the Gaggia espresso pure - the black one
    The lady said that although the others may look better, that this one was better because of a big handle?  I only wanted to spend 400 but she said this is worth it...
    anyway i googled but couldnt really find a review and then i found this website

So does anyone know anything about this or should i go for somthing else, I had a quick read of this section and a few people are sayin the breville icon is dope

this is amajor purchase for me on pocket money so i don wanna stuff up

jules

EDIT2
    the machine costs 399 full price but i asked for a discount and they will do it for 350

hey i found a picture of it

talk about hard to find
    it is here
    http://www.gaggia.com/macchine-da-caffe.asp?macchine-per-espresso-manuali_114_Espresso-Pure

Comment

Re: Gaggia Espresso, pwns the cheepies?

Originally posted by julian link=1211790544/0#0 date=1211790544
      Hey just joined,

I went to buy an espresso machine cause i got donated a coffee grinder, and I had done some cafe work and am starting to like coffee
      Now went into a Myer and they had a few machines that looked pretty nice although some was too expensive... there was this Gaggia which was in plastic but around 450 - the Gaggia espresso pure - the black one
      The lady said that although the others may look better, that this one was better because of a big handle?  I only wanted to spend 400 but she said this is worth it...
      anyway i googled but couldnt really find a review and then i found this website

So does anyone know anything about this or should i go for somthing else, I had a quick read of this section and a few people are sayin the breville icon is dope

this is amajor purchase for me on pocket money so i don wanna stuff up

jules
      Department store salespeople are probably better selling manchester or underwear than espresso machines IMHO

Comment

how do i quote in here?
        2muchcoffeeman they did have an underware sale on
        which machine dude is the one at a good level, i mean i cant spend heaps you know parents dont pay too well

Comment

ok and last couple of questions from me, this is a cut and paste of techpsecs from the website,
          is 1100W enough power and is 15 bar enough pressure?

Power supply 230-240V 50Hz 1100W 120V 60Hz 1100W
          Boiler Stainless steel
          Water tank Integrated and removable
          Water tank capacity 1,25 Lt
          Cappuccino accessory Pannarello
          3 Filters: 1 cup/1 pod/ 2 cups Yes
          Makes two cups simultaneously Yes
          Water pump pressure 15 bar
          Cup plate Yes
          Filter holder Chromed brass
          Accessories Tamper, measuring spoon
          Dimensions cm. (LxHxD) 21 x 35,5 x 27,5
          Weight 4,5 kg
          Bodywork ABS
          Available Nero
          Sistema Crema perfetta Optional

Comment

If the insides of the Gaggia Espresso is anything like the Gaggia Carezza, I would definitely recommend it as a first machine. It has 58mm commercial sized portafilters (big handles - as the Myer salesperson put it), non-pressurised baskets (came with a crema enhancing disc, but I chucked it out), boiler (not thermoblock). Having said that, I wouldnt pay $450 for it though. Id look around the classifieds or trading post or not-that-bay-again for a second hand Gaggia carezza... Shouldnt have to pay more than $200 for a used one. That will do you until you start working and will spend that first paycheck on a bling bling machine...

Comment

Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1211790544/0#5 date=1211792523
              If the insides of the Gaggia Espresso is anything like the Gaggia Carezza, I would definitely recommend it as a first machine. It has 58mm commercial sized portafilters (big handles - as the Myer salesperson put it), non-pressurised baskets (came with a crema enhancing disc, but I chucked it out), boiler (not thermoblock). Having said that, I wouldnt pay $450 for it though. Id look around the classifieds or trading post or not-that-bay-again for a second hand Gaggia carezza... Shouldnt have to pay more than $200 for a used one. That will do you until you start working and will spend that first paycheck on a bling bling machine...
              Agreed....For those sort of dollars, Id be extending to $500 and grabbing one of the pre-loved Rancilio Silvias which are frequently advertised here- e.g. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1208944985. Its a no brainer and rather than a corrosion prone aluminium boiler, you get a bigger brass boiler.

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1211790544/0#6 date=1211793108
                Agreed....For those sort of dollars, Id be extending to $500 and grabbing one of the pre-loved Rancilio Silvias which are frequently advertised here- e.g. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1208944985. Its a no brainer and rather than a corrosion prone aluminium boiler, you get a bigger brass boiler.

2mcm
                ok worked out how to quote yay
                hey 2muchcoffeeman this website does say "boiler stainless steel "
                or is there another aluminium part, which i dont want alzeimers from!!!

oh and i think guys the price was actually more like 350 i better check and then change my first post

Comment

ok so basically gaggia is good then?? i am in perth so i am thinking the postage costs could be high if i went second hand unless it was from perth -- also mum doesnt want anything too big on the counter is the carezza the same sort of size cause the epresso pure is a pretty good size..

Comment

julian dont rush your decision.
                    At this lower price point you have to be sure you get something reliable.
                    Obviously the more you spend the more reliable a machine you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by julian link=1211790544/0#8 date=1211794420
                      ok so basically gaggia is good then?? i am in perth so i am thinking the postage costs could be high if i went second hand unless it was from perth -- also mum doesnt want anything too big on the counter is the carezza the same sort of size cause the epresso pure is a pretty good size..
                      I thing rongs silvia for sale here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=Sale is in located in perth! its more than you can afford but it would be good

Comment

For a few friends of mine who were interested to get into coffee, what Ive done is to offer to lend them the Carezza on weekends (because they would be sitting on my office desk unused anyway) with my grinder to trial out and see if its something they really want to get into or is it romanticised and may consider it more hassle than its worth. There is a fair bit involved, sourcing fresh beans, grinding them, tamping properly, make coffee, then cleaning the shower screen, PF lock areas, grinder area, steam wand etc... Some consider it too much of a hassle and would prefer to just buy the coffee, but for those who persist and is willing to put in that time and effort, the quality of coffee is unparalled, unless you live round the corner from First Pour or St Alis...
                        Something cheeep like a used Carezza may be the way to start if youre unsure about how far youd like to take it. However, if youre sure that you want to keep going despite how tough it may get, then I wouldnt waste my money on intermediate machines only to upgrade in a few months...

Comment

price

i called the store up and they said the price was 399 but they could do it for 350,
                          i also messged rong about his mchine so we will see
                          iwill edit the first post

Comment

I think its definately worth spending the extra $100-$150 for the silvia.

Comment

350 it was

had the machine for a week now, pretty good so far

been reading up pretty hard, tried stockfleths move and wiess distribution thing which takes ages but gets the results..

this espresso thing is pretty easy, just my milk isnt the best probly like gj level

ummmmmmmmm

okay so far

good build, plastic but pretty solid

quick heat up time

nice and small on the benchtop especiallly when the grinder and the grind box is added

possible downers are the small tray which fills up with water pretty fast

also the handle has black bits on the bottom which doesnt look as good as the all silver type ones, small issue though

oh and i am using this Campos coffee which seems good though i dont know how old it is

well anyway this stuff is great

Comment

Working...
                              X