Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy an Ikon?

Hi

Im new here, and need to get a new machine after our Breville Cafe Roma died after nearly 3 years. I would like to upgrade to something better, but am a bit worried about the short warranties given on expensive machines (eg. only 1 year on the Silvia).

Id like to try a machine with a boiler rather than a thermoblock this time, so have been thinking of a Gaggia or an Ikon. At $350, the Ikon is attractive as its only $100 more or so than the Cafe Roma Stainless that we had.

Ive read all about people replacing the pressurized baskets in it, so I would do that too. Are you people who have bought Ikons generally happy with your choice, considering the reasonable cost of the machine? I would be really annoyed if I bought an expensive machine, only to have it die after a couple of years.

Re: Should I buy an Ikon?

Some more info for you here Judy.... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222913634/0#12

Mal.

Comment

If you keep an eye on the catalogues you can pick them up for $249 (or sometimes $299 with a grinder) from Target, Myer, etc. Put the money you have saved into an extended warranty - be mindful though that the terms of the extended warranty often arent as good as the manufacturers warranty so read the fine print.

I bought my Ikon ~3 months ago and am really happy. Paid $250 + $40 for an extra year warranty. It makes about two cups of coffee a day on average. I figure if it lasts me two years Ive easily saved more than I would normally spend on buying coffee from cafes. In fact, you break even after about 4 months.

Sorry cant vouch for its durability - I dont think theyve been around for a very long time so probably wont be anyone whos had one for more than a year.

Comment

Hi Judy,

Just keep in mind that the reason the cheap department store machines need longer warranties is because they break. You need only look at the Sunbeam 69xx series for example.

The Silvia is sold with a 12 month parts and labour warranty and CSers here will verify that they very rarely fail.

Happy shopping

2mcm

Comment

Ive had my Ikon since May 2007 and havent had a problem with it yet. I usually draw 2-3 shots per day so its had a fair amount of use. I would say that for the low price you can pick them up for at the moment they are probably the best value for money around. I bought mine for $350 when they just came out but if you shop around now you can easily find them for a lot less than that and if your grind and tamp is good they produce a really nice shot. I cant really speak for a Gaggia because Ive never used one but I am very happy with the Ikon (and will continue to be until the Silvia fund reaches its goal).

Comment

GDay Judy

Ive had my Ikon for just over a year & so far, I havent had any problems.  The Ikon is capable of consistently producing fantastic tasting shots, but you need to have a few basic things right:

1)  A good quality grinder. (This made the single biggest improvement in my shots)
            2)  An un-pressurised filter basket.
            3)  A good quality tamper.
            4)  Freshly roasted beans. (roasted within a few days)
            5)  Repeatable technique when grinding, dosing & tamping. (Should produce a pour of anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds)

I hope this helps!  Enjoy the journey!;D

Andrew 8-)

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Im more confused than ever now. It seems that the more research I do, the harder it is to decide what machine to get.

Comment

Judy, I agree with all of the comments above so wont say too much more. Ive had my Ikon for 10 months it produces 3 shots a day and hasnt given me any issues at all (knock on wood).

Just to add more weight to the Ikon, if you live in Sydney or Melbourne, the Breville seconds outlets sell the Ikon at $129.00 standard price. Nearly all of their machines are brand new, just without packaging. The machine and all its bits are in a plactic bag.... instead of a box., and it still comes with the 12 month warranty.

Like I said, had mine for 10 months and all is great. It may not produce the greatest shot in the world, but at that price, plus the Breville Bar Italia unpressurised basket for $9 (Breville seconds outlet) and a 52mm tamper $20 (cant remember where I got it), freshly ground beans from a good grinder.... you really cant complain.

Best of luck.

Davmatt

Comment

Hi Davmatt

Im still undecided. Do you know if theres a Breville seconds outlet in Brisbane? At that price I wouldnt be risking much and could give it a try. So far Ive only seen it at $350, which is quite a lot. At that price, I keep thinking I might as well spend a bit more and go upmarket. but even the Silvia seems to not be perfect, and its only guaranteed for 1 year, same as the cheaper machines.

Comment

Sorry Judy, no Breville seconds outlet in Brisbane. I was thinking the same as you 10 months ago... spend $250-$400 on a "cheap" machine or $500-$800+ for something better (but how much better??).

I never had to answer the question, I just couldnt ignore the value of the Ikon at $129. Unfortunately Ive never owned, or used any of the $500+ machines, so Ill have to leave you in the hands of the other members here who can speak for their value for money and life expectancy.

Im happy with my Ikon, and would buy it again if/when this one breaks. Im the only coffee drinker in the house and too much self indulgence is not a good thing .

Best of luck with your decision.

Comment

Hi all,

Can anyone name the outlet stores where these sorts of machines are sold? I live in Adelaide and want a Breville 800es or a BES800 but everywhere seems to be too expensive. I am also considering the EM6910 but also price is an issue.

I already have a good grinder.

Cheers,

Matt.

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Matt.

What grinder do you have?

Comment

Can I take up TGs comment...and throw this in the mix. I started with and still have a little Sunbeam Ristretto. Its not sexy. Its black plastic with a stainless lid on the drip tray. Its look simple and functional with a small footprint. It has a nice little boiler (not thermoblock) and steams like a little bandit. You can pick them up for about $90 from memory. Its PF is the small one. I have a feeling that its possible to get non pressurised baskets for them...do a search on this site if interested. If you could get that machine, and the baskets, and put the rest towards a good grinder thats the way I would go if I were on smaller end budget for a first set up. Just a thought.

Cheers

Comment

...ohh and if you can afford a good machine and a good grinder then go the Silvia and dont worry about the 12 months.  Built to last like little tanks but look after them and dont let the boiler get low on water.

Cheers

Comment

I recommend the Breville Factory Outlet - should only be about $150-200 there

Comment

Working...
                              X