CLR to descale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLR to descale?

Hi everyone. Im a complete noob here, but can someone tell me if its okay to descale my espresso machine with CLR clear? (Calcium Lime & Rust remover from the supermarket). Im using a Sunbeam Cafe Crema and it has started pulling really bad spluttery esspressos. It was fairly good when I got it. My friend has just done her machine with CLR and says it worked a treat, but I have reservations, as I dont want to buy a new one right now :-)

Your advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Re: CLR to descale?

Originally posted by 7B7F6B6D383A3A3A0A0 link=1235525210/0#0 date=1235525210
    Hi everyone. Im a complete noob here, but can someone tell me if its okay to descale my espresso machine with CLR clear? (Calcium Lime & Rust remover from the supermarket). Im using a Sunbeam Cafe Crema and it has started pulling really bad spluttery esspressos. It was fairly good when I got it. My friend has just done her machine with CLR and says it worked a treat, but I have reservations, as I dont want to buy a new one right now :-)

Cheers
    Im not prepared to drink CLR so no way would I descale with it . When commercial and dedicated products are so cheap, it amazes me that people would endanger themselves for a few bucks.

I suggest that you buy a product designed for your machine and follow the manufacturers instructions.... :

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 6064707623212121110 link=1235525210/0#0 date=1235525210

Cheers
      Given that I bought a bottle of descaling liquid for kettles from the supermarket on the weekend for $1.99, I also wonder why you would take the risk!! CLR eats away so much, I hate to think what it might do to the lining of your stomach!

Get the real deal and save yourself the risk.

Comment

i cleaned my machine with it last week, it worked so damn good... i also pulled out the shower screen and seal and cleaned it up good.

now it works better than when i got it. i ran hot water through it 4 times after all the 1:8 mix of CLR went through.

it also said on the back it was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by 79263E282328242D2D2E2E262A254B0 link=1235525210/1#1 date=1235526372
          it amazes me that people would endanger themselves for a few bucks.

Ditto! And some of the products that are purpose made for coffee equipment are actually cheaper than the alternatives, especially if you void your warranty or harm yourself and others.

Then again, a rope would work as effectively as a seat belt....wouldnt it? :P

Comment

i drank some accidently only a little when i didnt clean my machine out very well and it only gave me a gut ache.

it would not say it on the packet if it was not safe

Comment

Originally posted by 020E070704043E120F0E03610 link=1235525210/5#5 date=1235548367
              i drank some accidently only a little when i didnt clean my machine out very well and it only gave me a gut ache.

it would not say it on the packet if it was not safe
              Would not take that as a given....... Fine print and also usually on an insert some where..

Do a search on the MSDS for CLR Calcium-Lime-Rust Remover Depending on the Brand / strength etc... NOT GOOD !!!

Diluted may be ok in small doses... But then again ????

Comment

so whats in the other stuff that is sold as coffee machine cleaner? probs same stuff

Comment

Originally posted by 2E222B2B2828123E23222F4D0 link=1235525210/7#7 date=1235557652
                  so whats in the other stuff that is sold as coffee machine cleaner? probs same stuff

Ok, I give in. Youre right. Its probably the same stuff. Just like a turkey is an eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by 4C6D6666617B080 link=1235525210/8#8 date=1235559865
                    Originally posted by 2E222B2B2828123E23222F4D0 link=1235525210/7#7 date=1235557652

Ok, I give in.  Youre right.  Its probably the same stuff.  Just like a turkey is an eagle.
                    I just gargled with it and my teeth are spotless now!  ;D :

BTW Den, can you recommend a good stuffing mix for an eagle? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 5458515152526844595855370 link=1235525210/5#5 date=1235548367
                      Nah...   :-?  Life is way too short , gut ache isnt something I want to risk adding to my coffee (or dental) experience  but each to their own I guess  :

-Carrie  

Comment

Get yourself a 25 gr satchel of Caffeto Restore de-scaler for $ 3.95

Coffee Parts stock it
                        http://coffeeparts.com/accessories/cleaner.html

Just use Cafetto and I wont get angry with you

MSDS pdf for CLR
                        http://www.hescoinc.com/Msds/comcl4.pdf

KK

Comment

Just on that KK, I had planned to buy some Cafetto when I picked up my last beanbay order but, when I said I had a Breville 800 series, was told not to buy it as it was "only for the expensive machines" ???

On the strength of that I have just continued using white vinegar.

-Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by 4A687B7B606C42090 link=1235525210/12#12 date=1235567194

Just on that KK, I had planned to buy some Cafetto when I picked up my last beanbay order but, when I said I had a Breville 800 series, was told not to buy it as it was "only for the expensive machines" ???

On the strength of that I have just continued using white vinegar.

-Carrie
                            This the organic one I recommended Carrie and good for home & office machines
                            Can also be diluted down if it concerns you

KK

Comment

Cool... I was quite keen to get it last time, but they didnt want to sell it to me :-? . Ill get some when I pick up this months green beans on Friday & give it a go. ( I just wont tell them what machine Im buying it for )

-Carrie

Comment

Working...
                              X