Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville 800es Problems... Please Help

hi all,

good thing i found this great site! ive been having problems with my 800es, namely ground being caught in the basket and have been trying to find a tamper.

i want to get an unpressurised basket, and gather that i have two choices, one from the krups or one from the breville bar italia. can i ask which is better (i would assume the breville one would fit better, but could be wrong), and where do i order them from? i also live in north ryde...

ive searched and have found the krups usa parts website, and delivery will be almost as much as the actual basket! is this the best way to go?

and thank you di bartoli, you will most likely receive an order from me for a tamper very soon!

Re: Breville 800es Problems... Please Help

What state are you in. I can point you in the right direction.....hopefully.

Comment

By the way, just so you know, those generic SS 51mm tampers are too big for the krups baskets. Youll need to get a 49mm tamper

Comment

John go to krups.com and select "International" then find "Contact" at the bottom of the next page.
        From there you should be able to find the Australian contact details.
        I dont think they are too far from you.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies. Ill give Krups a call tomorow

I am in NSW, Sydney. And thanks for the tip about the tamper, any recommendations for a decent 49mm one?

Comment

Originally posted by 333631372A34302D31590 link=1237642712/4#4 date=1237701922
            Thank you for all your replies. Ill give Krups a call tomorow

I am in NSW, Sydney. And thanks for the tip about the tamper, any recommendations for a decent 49mm one?
            Depends how much you want to spend!  ;D  Our records indicate some variation in the 800 series baskets, but 49mm definitely looks smaller than necessary. I mean, itll fit but so will a pin! Dave S may well be right that some generic 51mm SS tampers are too big, but generic tampers could be anything from 50mm-51.5mm. Apply the same tolerance over the baskets and its pretty hard to state anything with any degree of certainty without seeing the baskets, so we dont. If you want a tamper that definitely fits its best to get one made for your baskets. For the record, we hardly ever need to make 49mm tampers, and have never done so for any Breville machine.

Greg

Comment

What about those with Krups baskets Greg?

I have a Krups basket that Ive measured to be about 49mm

Comment

Depends which Krups baskets you have and how you measured it. With a ruler Id believe you because you cant get much better than 1-2mm accuracy with a ruler, if it was with calipers I wouldnt unless youve got a bad technique or have a basket we havent seen before. Weve got over a dozen in our database and they range from nearly 54mm down to 50 but not below that. Thats the trouble; with the exception of the 6900/6910 (and theyll change too one day), theres no such thing as "manufacturer Xs baskets need a xx.x diameter tamper". At best one can state a known range with the caveat that other baskets could be outside that range. It also depends on how good a fit one wants; if a bit of a sloppy fit is OK you can get away with the above but for any semblance of a good fit its anathema. Thats why we always encourage baskets to be sent in for sizing. Unfortunately until people have seen it first-hand its hard to get the point across ("but dude Ive got a Silvia, they are so common surely it cant be that hard?" when Silvias are known to have OVER a millimetre between the biggest and smallest - manufacturing down to 0.05mm, where do you start guessing which variant any particular owner has??)

With no exaggeration, the average punter could easily pick the difference between a tamper with (say) 0.2mm clearance and 0.5mm. In isolation, they may not say 0.5mm is too loose but compare it with the other and it will appear less than ideal. Once you start approaching 1mm the slop is obvious. Again it may not bother everyone but you cant miss it. Most factory tampers are so loose that a difference of a millimetre or so in basket size doesnt matter but it makes a big difference in this sort of context when looking for a tamper thats the right size. So if yours is a 50mm Krups basket then a 49mm will fit, with about 1mm of slop. Compared to using the back of a spoon thats pretty good (and lets face it, thats the alternative for some) but its not what we would call the right size by any means.

Greg

Comment

digital vernier calipers.

I can deal with slop. Id rather slop than a tamper that fits too tightly in an espresso bar.

Comment

There are two baskets which fit the Breville that are, IMHO. an abomination!!!

That is the ESP 1/2 and the ESP 2/4....

These, as the name suggests, are dual dose baskets..... they tamper from top to bottom..... being 2-3mm smaller in diameter at the lower dosing level!!! Add to that the level marks and the numbers are stamped inwards to a depth of 1mm..... and it is impossible to get any tamper to work half decently!!

You would need one size for the top..... somewhere about 51mm.... and a 49mm (or smaller) for the lower level..... also the 1/2 basket is a different size to the 2/4 - even at the top level.....

Anyone who sends these to us, when I see what they have I strongly recommend they purchase a Krups basket (which has parallel walls)..... there is no way we can make even a decent tamper for an ESP basket.... certainly not a fitted tamper.

Comment

The ESP4 baskets will only fit one style of breville machine I believe. It is a portafilter with 2 lugs as opposed to the 3 lug proprietary design shared by sunbeam, breville and krups. The ESP4 cup filter will not fit in the 3 lug portafilters.

Comment

okay i ordered the esp/4 baskets yesterday from breville, should be arriving this week.

the reason i chose it over the krups ones is from reading this thread:
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1197963857

oh well, if it turns out that i made the wrong choice then it was only a $20 mistake

Comment

Originally posted by 7F5D5B40474D5B280 link=1237642712/8#8 date=1237875580
                          digital vernier calipers.

I can deal with slop. Id rather slop than a tamper that fits too tightly in an espresso bar.
                          Your baskets could come from a production run weve not come across before, and if so its a case in point as to what I said in my last post that one cant make a blanket statement about basket sizes from a given manufacturer or machine. Weve got recent Breville 800 measurements on file which are OVER 51mm.

As to slop, theres something wrong if youre using an ESP4 in an espresso bar! Dont you guys have a reasonable LM there? ;D I always recommend a bit of extra clearance for commercial work and comps where high speed is important, but when this isnt the case (such as at home where the majority of Brevilles would be) you can go for the optimal fit.

If (for whatever reason) one chooses to go for the wrong size tamper, obviously its better to have a smaller tamper that at least fits inside the basket to one that doesnt, even if it is sloppy; however to us, sloppy is too small, and wed prefer a tamper that fits properly to one that is sloppy or too tight. Such an outcome is entirely achievable given sufficient care, its just more work than most can be bothered about, but its the outcome the vast majority of our customers enjoy when they send in baskets / purchase replacements.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 6570676572776E6E6F636C020 link=1237642712/12#12 date=1237930927
                            As to slop, theres something wrong if youre using an ESP4 in an espresso bar! Dont you guys have a reasonable LM there? Grin
                            Nah, the LM FB80 has given up the ghost, we had to replace her with 3x Brevilles duct taped together!

Comment

;D

Comment

Working...
                              X