Sunbeam EM4800 freebie from Talk Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM4800 freebie from Talk Coffee

Hi all!  Thought Id share my experiences.

Chris from Talk Coffee was nice enough to offer a Sunbeam EM4800 for free, and I was lucky enough to claim it!

So after picking it up yesterday and having a good chat with Chris, I took it home to have a fiddle.  The steam wand was blocked with gunk of unknown origin so it needed a good clean out.  The group handle that came with it had a pressurised double basket and with the coffee that Chris gave me (ground a bit coarser than espresso), it produced shots with crema of a really light colour. Milk frothing on it is slow but I was able to get some decent milk - see pic 1.

Today I went to Ellis Electrical in Dandenong and picked up a Krups unpressurised basket and new seal to replace.  Using the coarser ground coffee from Chris, it didnt work as well as it did on the pressurised basket with a high flow rate - this was expected.  I popped down to Coffee Hit and picked up some of their Ultimate Hit, ground for espresso.  With a slight overdose and solid tamp, Result - a pretty decent shot I think?!  (See pic 2).  Slightly acidic (roasted on the 3rd Jan) but a really deep dark chocolate flavour.

All in all, Im loving just fiddling and learning a bit more about the machine and I think I might have found a new hobby to keep me occupied during my holidays!

Re: Sunbeam EM4800 freebie from Talk Coffee

Originally posted by 40757A737B140 link=1262670245/0#0 date=1262670245
    Hi all!  Thought Id share my experiences.

Chris from Talk Coffee was nice enough to offer a Sunbeam EM4800 for free, and I was lucky enough to claim it!

So after picking it up yesterday and having a good chat with Chris, I took it home to have a fiddle.  The steam wand was blocked with gunk of unknown origin so it needed a good clean out.  The group handle that came with it had a pressurised double basket and with the coffee that Chris gave me (ground a bit coarser than espresso), it produced shots with crema of a really light colour. Milk frothing on it is slow but I was able to get some decent milk - see pic 1.

Today I went to Ellis Electrical in Dandenong and picked up a Krups unpressurised basket and new seal to replace.  Using the coarser ground coffee from Chris, it didnt work as well as it did on the pressurised basket with a high flow rate - this was expected.  I popped down to Coffee Hit and picked up some of their Ultimate Hit, ground for espresso.  With a slight overdose and solid tamp, Result - a pretty decent shot I think?!  (See pic 2).  Slightly acidic (roasted on the 3rd Jan) but a really deep dark chocolate flavour.

All in all, Im loving just fiddling and learning a bit more about the machine and I think I might have found a new hobby to keep me occupied during my holidays!

Wow Tango- great work!  

Just goes to prove that you can in fact polish a ....

Amazing what can be achieved with a bit of unloved street junk!

Well done!

Chris

Comment

Hi Tango,

You do realize dont you, that its only the first one thats free?

Once youre addicted the price goes way up! ;D

(That second shot looks good.)

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 6D584F4D7D4558474B464E2A0 link=1262670245/2#2 date=1262829695
        Hi Tango,

You do realize dont you, that its only the first one thats free?  

Once youre addicted the price goes way up! ;D

(That second shot looks good.)

Greg
        Oh, youre so right Greg.

Chris is an espresso pusher. :P

Comment

Oh dont tell me that Greg....

But I feel that trying to resist the inevitable is futile....Ill start saving now

Im still lucky to get the first one for free!!

Comment

hi Tango,

Can you please tell me the model no. of the krups unpressuriesed filter basket that you got?

Regards,
            Anu

Comment

Hey Anu,

The part number for the double unpressurised basket is #0907163.

Cheers

Comment

great shot Tango.

nice art too.

Comment

Working...
                X