Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville 800ES naked/better portafilter options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville 800ES naked/better portafilter options?

Hey there.. Im a newbie to the board..!

Ive got a bit of a question regarding about portafilters.

Ive got the Breville 800ES machine, and the Sunbeam EM0480 grinder. Ive done the mod to the grinder with the shims, and Im using the single floor filter basket. But whenever I take the filter out, I look at the plastic thing inside the and I cant help thinking that this cant be ideal..

Has anyone had any experience with modding these? Like, pulling the plastic bit out, or going the whole hog and converting them to naked? Or is there a better quality option out there?

Or does anyone know anyone selling pre modded naked units?

Thanks!

Re: Breville 800ES naked/better portafilter options?

the black plastic (if its the same as mine) just directs the coffee to the spouts - no big deal since it doesnt add pressure to the extraction, it just stops the pressurised pinhole from drilling a hole in your cup!

It does trap a bit of old coffee oils, not much though if you rinse it regularly.

I have a bottemless pf from a cheaper Breville but it doesnt fit as well.

If you drill out yours (not too hard) you wont be able to go back to the pressurised basket if you ever want to (resale, other users?)

You could post a "wanted" in the for sale section and see what turns up.

HTH!

Comment

Oh my God, I just removed the black plastic for the first time ever and found four or five years of old coffee muck sitting underneath it. Grossss. Thats just not right.

Im not particularly worried about resale value.. Ive had it for so long, its well and truly made its worth back..!

Think I might see if I can find a Breville spare parts dealer and get another handle to drill out first.. Ive got the limited edition red 800ES.. And itd be a shame to wreck the matching handle first go.. (ha..!).

So.. Anyone know any alternatives to the plain standard Breville group handles?

Comment

Try taking off the shower screen next and see whats stuck under there

I dont think any other manufacturers group handles will fit - but there are plenty of Breville models that have the same size (I just dont know which ones!)

You could see if this gear has gone: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312351487

looks like theres a handle in there waiting to be drilled!

cya

Comment

Oooh. Ill hit him up.

Man, popped into the breville warehouse.. That machine with the programable shot thing and in built grinder sure looks nice......

Comment

the 860? yeah it does look nice - on par with the Sunbeam I hear.

Make sure you send a PM, not just post on that page

Comment

oh snap.. Yeah i should try that.

Yeah I think thats what it was? There was a cool one with an inbuilt grinder as well.. Hmmm...

Comment

The model number question comes up a lot, so for the benefit of everyone...

800ES steam wand only, thermoblock
                BES820 steam and hot water wand, programmable timing, thermoblock
                BES860 "Fresca" includes built in grinder, thermoblock
                BES900 "Dual Boiler" no grinder, dual boiler, programmable everything

Comment

Hmmm, I have the identical setup to the OP! Tonight I removed the black plastic cover and trimmed it leaving only the portion that the screw goes into so I could plug up the screw hole.  I did the same with the old Sunbeam EM2300 PF.

The 2 PFs are quite different with respect to the base, the EM2300 has a curved base and directs the pour to the spouts, the 800ES is dead flat with a few ridges.

I wasnt keen on the gunk and grime under the cover when I first removed it...

Comment

its there for users of the blind filter - I guess its cheaper to build a plastic insert rather than press the pf into the right shape.

Comment

Originally posted by 424A42454F492B0 link=1314614080/9#9 date=1316656998
                      its there for users of the blind filter - I guess its cheaper to build a plastic insert rather than press the pf into the right shape.
                      I believe it is there for for people how dont warm there
                      PF properly so it insulates the coffee from going cold on the way to the Cup.

They have even put it in the the New BES900 with its solid cast Stainless PF, and it is generally excepted by CSs that they should be pulled out as we should not be making coffee with a cold PF one of coffees 7 deadly sins.

(time for a new thread)

Comment

I agree with Espresso Doc.

I have removed the plastic "toolazytopreheatmyportafilter"-thingy from my Brev. Dual Boiler as have many other CS owners.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 4F59054A0541055B4248404E5942454C2B0 link=1314614080/10#10 date=1316657499
                          I believe it is there for for people how dont warm there PF properly so it insulates the coffee from going cold
                          I would have thought that the metal basket contacting with the metal pf top and sides would cool down the water as it extracts the coffee, not the bottom of the pf which doesnt even touch the basket...

Also, cooling the coffee post extraction wont change the flavour as much (if any?) as a cold extraction.

If you try extracting with the pressurised basked without the insert, youll get a single spurt of coffee out the centre, so this is definitely one use for it, there may be others...

Comment

OH MY WORD. I sourced another handle (thanks for the tipoff!!) and just had the middle cut out with a holesaw by a lovely bloke who happened to be round the corner, and has an oldschool metalwork/blacksmith shop..

I CANNOT BELIEVE how much better it tastes. It was already fairly passable with the single floor basket, but now it just tastes so much better.. Im not really versed with the proper terminology, but the words that come to mind are that the crema is creamier, the taste of the espresso is much more open (?).. I feel that the flavour just seems to bloom a bit more in my mouth.

So stoked.

So far, the coffee seems to be pouring correctly, as in as much that its pouring in one single stream, from the middle of the filter, but it seems to be having the odd spurts and is a little messy.. Is this normal? My second attempt, I coarsened the grind and tamped a bit harder, and this seemed to help with the messiness.. But just not sure if a bit of mess is normal after the removal of the spouts?

Feeling like this is about as far as I can take this little machine, and to be honest, Im pretty bloody pleased with it!!

Thank you oh illuminati of coffee wisdom!

-kris

Comment

Originally posted by 656D6562686E0C0 link=1314614080/12#12 date=1316663729
                              Originally posted by 4F59054A0541055B4248404E5942454C2B0 link=1314614080/10#10 date=1316657499
                              I believe it is there for for people how dont warm there PF properly so it insulates the coffee from going cold
                              I would have thought that the metal basket contacting with the metal pf top and sides would cool down the water as it extracts the coffee, not the bottom of the pf which doesnt even touch the basket...

Also, cooling the coffee post extraction wont change the flavour as much (if any?) as a cold extraction.

If you try extracting with the pressurised basked without the insert, youll get a single spurt of coffee out the centre, so this is definitely one use for it, there may be others...
                              The cooling effect is indeed post extraction and Guru Phil himself told me that is why they are there and how to pull it out.

And to be honest if you are using a pressurised basket you dont care about espresso as you are not getting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X