Sunbeam EM3600 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM3600 Issues

Hi all. Long time stalker, first time poster. Im a uni student/coffee adict, so unfortunately Im on a limited budget. I have myself a EM3600 espresso machine and the EM0480 sunbeam grinder. It makes decent coffee, better than I can get in a lot of coffee shops around uni anyway, and LOTS more consistent (but maybe thats me). Anyway OT. Ive been having a lot of trouble getting a good volume/time ratio. The shot starts nice and dark before going blonde, as expected. I get a nice appearance on the final shot, however, I get the shot in about 15 seconds. Ive experimented with different grind settings, and 15-16 for my lavazza beans produces the nicest colour. So then I experimented with tamping (with the 51mm tamper from the sunbeam barista kit) and that wasnt successful either.

I seem to recall somewhere reading that on the em3600 the shot was supposed to be quicker than the 30ml/ 30sec... I seem to think it was in the manuals for either the 3600 or the 480, but now I cant find it anywhere.

Is this to do with the machine? Or my technique?

Possibly relevant info:
    using whole fresh(-ish - from supermarket) beans, filtered water, the 2 cup pressurised filter that comes with the machine.

I can possibly post photos/movie if this would help?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Sunbeam EM3600 Issues

Hi there

I suspect the first thing you need to do is get an unpressurised basket - as adjusting the grind and tamp wont make a huge difference if the coffee is still getting forced through a single hole!

The second thing to do then is probably to dump the supermarket sourced beans - once you move to an unpressurised basket the freshness of the beans will play a much bigger role.

Enjoy!

Sniff.

Comment

Hi SniffCoffee, thanks for the reply. Ive been thinking about doing both those things actually.

Is that the Krups unpressurised basket? And I was thinking about sourcing beans online from Di Bella, are these fresher/fresh enough?

David.

Comment

Agree with SniffCoffee, Get rid of the pressurised baskets, They really do force you to run the thing at a 10-15 second pour. You can swap it out with the Breville unpressurised baskets, find one of the krupps versions, or spend twenty minutes with a dremel and cut the bottom of the double walled filter off yourself

Second, Id almost suggest using the double basket exclusivly, the single basket is of a weird shape that doesnt really allow good flow through.

Third, Yeah, The supermarket beans may be fresh from the supermarket but often they dont show a roasting date, and if they do, theyre usually months ago... Roasted beans are best within 1.5 months of roasting. Supermarket beens are often sitting in the warehouse for three months before they even get to the sale point. Try buying from a nearby coffee shop, or even go a little further afield, There usually are a lot of good roasters near the major urban centres. (you can find a good number around the brisbane area for example)

If you order direct from Di Bella, the beans will definitely be fresher then what you would get elsewhere, as they usually have enough throughput that the beans dont have a chance to get stale

Or you could give beanbay a try if you live in a different location. prices are more then, and the coffee is most excellent, and freshly roasted

Comment

Originally posted by 507D697B7475727B5D685A7D68791C0 link=1319415620/3#3 date=1319426751
          Agree with SniffCoffee, Get rid of the pressurised baskets, They really do force you to run the thing at a 10-15 second pour. You can swap it out with the Breville unpressurised baskets, find one of the krupps versions, or spend twenty minutes with a dremel and cut the bottom of the double walled filter off yourself
          Would you recommend the Krups or the Breville? Ive been doing a bit of reading and the Krups seems to have bigger holes? So grinds get into the cup. But the Breville doesnt seem to produce as good espresso? Or have I got something wrong here?

Originally posted by 507D697B7475727B5D685A7D68791C0 link=1319415620/3#3 date=1319426751
          If you order direct from Di Bella, the beans will definitely be fresher then what you would get elsewhere, as they usually have enough throughput that the beans dont have a chance to get stale
          Got my first order from Di Bella today. Made a huge difference! Never going back to supermarket coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 2702150A075B630 link=1319415620/4#4 date=1319802862
            Would you recommend the Krups or the Breville? Ive been doing a bit of reading and the Krups seems to have bigger holes? So grinds get into the cup. But the Breville doesnt seem to produce as good espresso? Or have I got something wrong here?

--

Got my first order from Di Bella today. Made a huge difference! Never going back to supermarket coffee.
            Hooray! good coffee is well worth the price, once you go fresh, youre a fool to go back willingly

as for the breville vs the krupps basket? I couldnt actually tell you the reality, The breville is a little pricier, but the single-basket has a woeful shape (the basket has seriously bad ridges, like what your current single basket has (I think sunbeam and breville use the same basket-supplier), the krupps is cheaper, but you may need to fiddle with the seal a little to get it to stop leaking

Six of one, half dozen of the other

I did the next-best thing, and just cut the bottom wall of my sunbeam basket... I dontt use the single-cup at all, so theres no point in even taking the time for cutting that sucker up

Comment

Originally posted by 567B6F7D7273747D5B6E5C7B6E7F1A0 link=1319415620/5#5 date=1319847778

Hooray! good coffee is well worth the price, once you go fresh, youre a fool to go back willingly

as for the breville vs the krupps basket? I couldnt actually tell you the reality, The breville is a little pricier, but the single-basket has a woeful shape (the basket has seriously bad ridges, like what your current single basket has (I think sunbeam and breville use the same basket-supplier), the krupps is cheaper, but you may need to fiddle with the seal a little to get it to stop leaking

Six of one, half dozen of the other

I did the next-best thing, and just cut the bottom wall of my sunbeam basket... I dontt use the single-cup at all, so theres no point in even taking the time for cutting that sucker up
              Im not really worried about the price. And i dont plan on using the single baskets. So in double comparisons. Maybe the breville is a better option? Im not really that handy. So i dont want to cut my sunbeam up in case i break it. But maybe i can find another one and keep that as backup?

Comment

In my experience, Breville single wall > cut double wall > Krups* basket.

The Krups* basket did a decent job with a Breville Cafe Roma and preground coffee. When I upgraded to a Sunbeam EM5900 + EM0450 I found I had to grind course, massively overdose, and practically chock up the machine to get a decent extraction.
                I cut the floor off the double wall basket (was much easier than I expected) and my grind setting went from 18 down to 13 and I was getting a much better extraction.
                Then I got the Breville single wall baskets which have much more and finer holes than either of the other two. My grind setting is now at 9, I am getting better coffee, and I am no longer getting fine grinds making it through to the cup.

*Actually it is a Breville Bar Italia 1-2 cup basket, which is very similar to the Krups basket. The Breville has 1 and 2 cup level markings down the side and a ridge along the top edge, whereas the Krups has unmarked sides and a flat top.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E494D425F434258434D5F582C0 link=1319415620/7#7 date=1319944262
                  In my experience, Breville single wall > cut double wall > Krups* basket.

The Krups* basket did a decent job with a Breville Cafe Roma and preground coffee. When I upgraded to a Sunbeam EM5900 + EM0450 I found I had to grind course, massively overdose, and practically chock up the machine to get a decent extraction.
                  I cut the floor off the double wall basket (was much easier than I expected) and my grind setting went from 18 down to 13 and I was getting a much better extraction.
                  Then I got the Breville single wall baskets which have much more and finer holes than either of the other two. My grind setting is now at 9, I am getting better coffee, and I am no longer getting fine grinds making it through to the cup.

*Actually it is a Breville Bar Italia 1-2 cup basket, which is very similar to the Krups basket. The Breville has 1 and 2 cup level markings down the side and a ridge along the top edge, whereas the Krups has unmarked sides and a flat top.
                  Breville basket it is!

Comment

Originally posted by 240116090458600 link=1319415620/8#8 date=1319952193
                    Breville basket it is!
                    Just bought them! We shall see how they go when they arrive. Thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by 654057484519210 link=1319415620/9#9 date=1319964633
                      Just bought them! We shall see how they go when they arrive. Thanks for all your help guys!
                      Okay. So the Breville baskets arrived a few days ago. After a lot of fiddling with the EM480, I still cant get the grind right for the unpressurised basket...

My problem is the crema keeps dissipating way too quickly.

Im using Di Bella beans which - as far as I know - are still fresh.

A photo of a typical shot (in a 150mL glass) using the pressurised baskets and a grind setting of 16 on the 480.

And now, the range of shots (60mL shot glasses)
                      The grind settings decrease in 2s.
                      So: 16 - 14 - 12 - 10 - 8

The shot was best on grind setting 8, but its a smaller shot because it blew past the group seal. Which, I will admit needs replacing, it just never posed an issue with the pressurised baskets. But a replacement is now on order... Is the old group seal my entire problem? I felt the grind was very fine when I got down to 8, but maybe that is because I am used to grinding for the pressurised baskets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

What are the timings for your shots?
                        Was the shot on grind setting "8" almost a choker?

Comment

Originally posted by 707B63697574767F756D1A0 link=1319415620/11#11 date=1321014543
                          What are the timings for your shots?
                          Was the shot on grind setting "8" almost a choker?
                          They were still too short. Probably 13-15 seconds, not including the pre-infusion. Is it pre-infusion on this machine? I think it is. The "puck" was also very soupy with water after extraction, maybe this is tamp pressure?

Comment

That still seems too quick, is your dosing consistent?
                            Have you tried the 5cent test to determine a ballpark figure of how much you should be dosing?
                            The soupy pucks seem to be consistent with a low dose.

Comment

Originally posted by 464D555F43424049435B2C0 link=1319415620/13#13 date=1321018565
                              That still seems too quick, is your dosing consistent?
                              Have you tried the 5cent test to determine a ballpark figure of how much you should be dosing?
                              The soupy pucks seem to be consistent with a low dose.
                              Okay. Tomorrow afternoons job will be the 5 cent test. To the best of my knowledge the dosing is consistent. But I will take more notice tomorrow, and hopefully get you some pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X