Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for new guy

Hi all,

I have just found this site today, and have been researching what to buy as an entry level machine/grinder. My wife and I usually drink cappuccinos although she is Turkish and can enjoy a nice espresso so I have decided to buy an ES800/BCG800 setup based upon a lot of talk on these forums. I’m not keen on buying second hand ES800 but the grinder I will search for second hand so im hoping to get all this for under $400.

Would this be the right buy on a small budget for the coffee we drink?

Re: Recommendation for new guy

IMHO that depends on your experience and how far you want to push the envelope.

If you want to make great espressos I would go for something a little better with a boiler, perhaps a Silvia. You would have a bit of time between extracting and steaming as the boiler heats / cools (compared to a higher end machine, but probably not much worse compared to a thermoblock).

In my opinion the lower-end thermoblocks are easy to get wrong. It depends on your perspective (what youre used to drinking) and what youre willing to put into it - fresh roasted beans? Having said that I had a BES 820 for 2 years and was satisfied for quite some time... until upgraditis!

hope that helps!

Comment

Hi, that does help. I am not too sure about thermoblocks and boilers etc, I will need to look up what they are used for but i will say that the espresso’s will be very infrequent. Mostly this will be used for latte type stuff so I am guessing the thermoblocks are ok for this?

Comment

Originally posted by 5C757D6C7B7B190 link=1320295461/2#2 date=1320302350
        Hi, that does help. I am not too sure about thermoblocks and boilers etc, I will need to look up what they are used for but i will say that the espresso’s will be very infrequent. Mostly this will be used for latte type stuff so I am guessing the thermoblocks are ok for this?
        Hi eldubb. I use a sunbeam em3600. Which is also an entry level thermoblock machine. I can make quite nice lattes and cappuccinos on it. If youre after latte art, im not sure about the breville, but my sunbeam has quite a wet steam which isnt the best for the microfoam you need for latte art. But you can sure get a nice milk-based coffee out of one!

Definitely put freshly roasted and groud coffee throught it. I couldnt believe the difference between the changes supermarket pre-ground -> supermarket beans -> di bella freshly roasted beans. And last night i ordered some green beans to roast at home.

David

Comment

I would agree with iaindb

You should be looking for a boiler machine if possible these also make better second hand buys. These include the Breville Ikon, Gaggia Classic and the Silva (probably pushing budget)

I was running my Gaggia Classic every day for well over 10 years and it has never skipped a beat and with care can pull a great shot and steam good microfoam.

The notion that its only for lattes so the espresso doesnt matter is misguided.

If you put rubbish coffee in the bottom of a latte you get a rubbish latte.

Have you never had a lovely looking coffee with the perfect roseta that still tastes crap from a cafe and thought why? It is because the barista is concentrating on the milk an forgetting the foundation is espresso.

Comment

thanks guys but im having trouble locating a new breville ikon, or a gaggia classic...how much are they and anyone know which shops sell them? Must be new.

Comment

if my understanding is right, the ikon is no longer made anymore but you can pick up a second hand one on ebay or local classifieds if you look around

in regards to classic - its still being made. not sure if any of the sponsors stock it though?

Comment

Cosmorex (Canberra) has the Classic - cheap package deal with the grinder

Comment

Originally posted by 6D444C5D4A4A280 link=1320295461/5#5 date=1320373284
                  anyone know which shops sell them?
                  Your location? if youre looking in department/appliance stores youll probably only find thermoblocks and rubbish expensive super-autos. Check CS sponsor locations.

I trust youve noticed the hardware for sale section of this site?? real bargains to be had there, particularly at the cheaper end

Comment

Originally posted by 260F07160101630 link=1320295461/5#5 date=1320373284
                    Must be new.
                    So you need NEW machine, NEW grinder, all under $400?

Sorry to put it bluntly and no offence meant, but I think you need to do more research because it will be rare to fit your requirements if its even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E6B6E6F676A020 link=1320295461/9#9 date=1320396468
                      Originally posted by 260F07160101630 link=1320295461/5#5 date=1320373284
                      Must be new.
                      So you need NEW machine, NEW grinder, all under $400?

Sorry to put it bluntly and no offence meant, but I think you need to do more research because it will be rare to fit your requirements if its even possible.
                      It is possible... But you would need to be looking at any entry level machine. For example, the Breville BES250 retails for $199.95 (which looks quite similar to the Sunbeam EM3600 at $159. And maybe a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder for $199 also. So that comes in at $398.95... Very upper limits of your budget, for an entry level machine.

Comment

if you shop around, you can find deals here and there for the higher level machines, Ive seen the BCG800 being sold for $250 delivered, Can also find a simple Espresso machine for around 150-200 also, That might be just over the $400 budget, but the Smartgrinder is probably the more important of the two

Id also look into getting some unpressurised baskets to go with the cheapie espresso machine, the pressurised ones are useless

Comment

Originally posted by 0E2337252A2B2C25033604233627420 link=1320295461/11#11 date=1320414536
                          if you shop around, you can find deals here and there for the higher level machines, Ive seen the BCG800 being sold for $250 delivered, Can also find a simple Espresso machine for around 150-200 also, That might be just over the $400 budget, but the Smartgrinder is probably the more important of the two

Id also look into getting some unpressurised baskets to go with the cheapie espresso machine, the pressurised ones are useless
                          E61 Espresso Company currently has the Smart Grinder for $240 with free delivery.

http://www.e61.com.au/breville-smart-grinder/

Edit: It kinda makes me wish Id looked around a little more before I bought my sunbeam 480...

Comment

Hi David,

I am pretty certain Matts no longer selling the Smart Grinder as he referred someone to us last week (Thanks Matt ).

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 44717C7B4F537F76767575100 link=1320295461/13#13 date=1320435875
                              Hi David,

I am pretty certain Matts no longer selling the Smart Grinder as he referred someone to us last week (Thanks Matt ).

Chris
                              Well thats weird. Its still featured quite heavily on the website. I know they state that they dont sell the breville dual boiler. Anyway, that aside. Im sure eldubb would be able to find a similar grinder for similarly good value.

Comment

Working...
                              X