de-pressurized em3500 basket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de-pressurized em3500 basket!

CoffeeSnobs is a bad influence on my life...

See what you made me do?

I got in trouble with the site manager next door for not wearing my steel caps when I went in to use the angle grinder...   at least I had my white card on me.

Re: de-pressurized em3500 basket!

I now get real crema that dissappears far too quickly on my aging robusta dark roast but tastes much less like soda water.

Comment

wow - what about the large hole damage on the far side?

Are you sure one of those plates wasnt pressed on? Its easy to cold press a cup shaped filter in the factory, but you cant press a double sided filter in one go so the second piece is usually pushed in later - which means its usually easy to remove it before you do the cutting. My breville double sided filter came apart with some hard bangs on the table! Then I drilled out the single-hole side and pushed the filter bottom back in...

Comment

Originally posted by 212921262C2A480 link=1328702065/2#2 date=1328746287
        wow - what about the large hole damage on the far side?

Oh thats just the shadow from the camera angle. Its just a flake of stainless that hasnt come up entirely. Works beautifully, now. A lot more is getting extracted (this plus the grinder means I have to cut in half the dose to get the coffee I want).

Comment

phew! I was beginning to wonder! Youre on the road now - my next purchase after drilling out my baske was a HX :

Comment

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1328874956/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Okay, so now that I can grind coffee fine enough to slow the pour to a drip followed by a trickle, Im wondering two things:

I have the impression from various threads that the appropriate time for a (double) shot of espresso varies from machine to machine - 10 seconds to 30 seconds to who knows??? Can somebody comment on this? As well as maybe what the ideal time might be for the ol em3500?

2ndly, another thing I have read form folks is that they run the steam wand a couple minutes to superheat the thermoblock before pouring their shot. I dont really understand what thats supposed to achieve and the result of my trying this is that my pour quickly turns to a live-steam coffee-burning session which doesnt help my flavour much. Ive been more satisfied with pours without the pre-heat. Whats the deal. Somebody help demystify this for me!

Comment

Originally posted by 484858444549402C0 link=1328702065/6#6 date=1328978127
                I have the impression from various threads that the appropriate time for a (double) shot of espresso varies from machine to machine - 10 seconds to 30 seconds to who knows??? 
                I dont know where you are getting that information. The STARTING GUIDELINE is about 25 seconds. After that, let your palate be the guide. I have had some really fine 30-40 second extractions, but around 25 to 30 is the top of the bell curve. But ten seconds? No thank you.

Comment

help!  Im off-topic again and dont know how to move it!

Thanks Jon! Post moved.
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by 7171617D7C7079150 link=1328702065/9#9 date=1329009388
                    help!  Im off-topic again and dont know how to move it!
                    You cant, its a job for a Mod, suggest, copy the post, delete it, then repost where you want it to appear.

Comment

Working...
                    X