Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

    After finding helpful information on this forum I wanted to reciprocate. This is my first post so unfortunately I cant add any links or photos until after the 5th post. I bought a used current model Saeco Via Venezia at a good price recently but was unhappy with the Panarello which over-frothed milk. After lots of searching I discovered that the Steam Wand from the USA sold Starbucks Barista coffee machine (rebadged Via Venezia) fits the Saeco perfectly and works exactly as it should. Do a Google search for Espressotec and when you are at their homepage, enter Starbucks Barista in their search box at top right of the page. There are 5 pages of results. In amongst the results are quite a few spare parts including the steam wand assembly at US$25.50 on page 1. Shipping cost is the killer at US$39 so I ordered a few other spares to make it worthwhile! Youtube has a video that shows this steam wand in action on an older model Starbucks Barista. Go to the Youtube website and search for Starbucks Barista home espresso machine - Part 1. In the results of the search is a video with this same title. Hope this helps those frustrated Saeco Via Venezia owners who wish their machine came with this as standard. You can now rectify the Panarello issue! Just be careful when removing the original steam arm/panarello to note the order of the 2 white ball seat pieces and the black seal. I replaced these with the new ones supplied with the new steam wand to be sure of no leaks. The steam-arm nut is re-used from the original assembly but be sure not to overtighten! 

  • #2
    Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

    Hi, I just joined coffee snobs to thank you for info on saeco wand , I went ahead and ordered one for myself,cheers mate.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

      Originally posted by 6D786B7676747B7660190 link=1339474948/1#1 date=1339570375
      Hi, I just joined coffee snobs to thank you for info on saeco wand , I went ahead and ordered one for myself,cheers mate.
      Hope you enjoy the upgarde as much as I did. I also just ordered a bottomless Portafilter made for this machine. The only one I could find was from Seattlecoffeegear. It sells out pretty quickly so I had to check back frequently until I managed to snare one. Google Seattlecoffeegear and go to their homepage. Click on the Accessories pop-menu at top of screen. Select Portafilters & bases from the displayed options at left of screen. Then select Yes under Available Internationally at top left of screen. They require registration for ordering and use Bongo International for processing International orders. If you go to Youtube there is a video of these in action. Search for New Portafilters for Saeco and Starbucks machines. The video by Seattlecoffegear is in the list and has this title. They look like just the ticket to cap off the perfect Via Venezia upgrade! Im looking forward to receiving mine!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

        Originally posted by 56747370597A616174150 link=1339474948/0#0 date=1339474948
        ...... "Do a Google search for Espressotec and when you are at their homepage, enter Starbucks Barista in their search box at top right of the page. There are 5 pages of results. In amongst the results are quite a few spare parts including the steam wand assembly at US$25.50 on page 1. "
        :-/ Originally this item was on page 1 of the Espressotec search results for Starbucks Barista. Today when I checked it had gone to page 3. I suppose if youre looking for it just read through the pages until you find it!

        P.S. Yesterday I noticed someone locally selling Steam wands for a Breville 800ES that look suspiciously like the Starbucks Barista ones except maybe a touch longer (which might be nice). The ball fitting that attatches to the machine looked the same in the photo. At $11 for the wand, curiosity got the better of me so I ordered one to try. Ill report back if it fits and works correctly. The seals are $11 extra.Total of $23 posted within Australia, it may be a cheaper alternative if it works. Ill let you know! (No I dont sell them, Im just a fellow private member).

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

          Originally posted by 5E7C7B78517269697C1D0 link=1339474948/2#2 date=1339637319
          I also just ordered a bottomless Portafilter made for this machine. The only one I could find was from Seattlecoffeegear. It sells out pretty quickly so I had to check back frequently until I managed to snare one. Google Seattlecoffeegear and go to their homepage. Click on the Accessories pop-menu at top of screen. Select Portafilters & bases from the displayed options at left of screen. Then select Yes under Available Internationally at top left of screen. They require registration for ordering and use Bongo International for processing International orders.
          Just wanted to update re: ordering bottomless Portafilter. I was notified this morning my order was cancelled because item was out of stock. This was despite the item finally appearing as In Stock in their international store and my credit card payment being accepted upon ordering. This is the 2nd issue I have had with this online store trying to get hold of a Portafilter so I dont know whether I can recommend using them. If you do beware of potential issues. Not happy Jan!!! :-[

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

            Originally posted by 496B6C6F46657E7E6B0A0 link=1339474948/0#0 date=1339474948
            After lots of searching I discovered that the Steam Wand from the USA sold Starbucks Barista coffee machine (rebadged Via Venezia) fits the Saeco perfectly
            I can now post photos so here is one of the Starbucks Barista Steam Wand on the Saeco Via Venezia. Works a treat! Movement is in all directions as per the original Saeco steam arm with Panarello which was fitted to this model as standard.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

              Originally posted by 745651527B58434356370 link=1339474948/3#3 date=1339718254
              Steam wands for a Breville 800ES that look suspiciously like the Starbucks Barista ones except maybe a touch longer (which might be nice). The ball fitting that attatches to the machine looked the same in the photo.
              I tried the Breville 800ES steam wand and it does fit the Saeco Via Venezia. It is a little longer than the Starbucks Barista steam wand. Using a small jug I found it comfortable to steam out front of the machine whereas with the Starbucks wand I found myself at a diagonal to the left of the machine and feeling a little close when steaming for 1 cup. The Breville wand tip has a smaller hole which increases steam pressure. I found the whirpool effect alot stronger at the same steam setting and milk stretching quicker. Ive only tried it once but I found it overfrothed quickly, which I guess reflected a need to become familiar with this wand and the increase in steam pressure. Milk temperature came up quicker at the same steam setting and interestingly, the light on the steam button stayed on throughout the process. Using the Starbucks wand I found the steam light went out but it did complete the steaming process. My machine is 1 y.o. so the heating element may not behave the same as a new one would. I have no idea how the previous owner treated it before I bought it. The smaller hole in the steam tip of the Breville increases pressure both in steam coming out of the tip as well as back-pressure for steam out of the boiler. I imagine the steam light staying on with the Breville reflects a smaller volume of steam but at a higher pressure.
              At this early stage my thoughts are that either one would do the job. It would come down to how easily and cheaply either one could be sourced. I feel the Starbucks wand is more forgiving as far as overfrothing goes. The Brevilles extra length is handy to have and the extra steam pressure probably not a bad thing once mastered but I am yet to verify this. If I had to choose I would say I do like the extra length of the Breville wand but need to use it more to see if the extra steam pressure has the benefit I suspect it might. The Starbucks Barista (rebadged Via Venezia) wand was supplied standard with that machine so I guess designed for it. Pricewise the Breville and Starbucks are similar but there is that hefty shipping charge for the Starbucks wand from Canada. With either wand I would suggest to replace the 2 half-seats for the ball end including the washer above the top seat.
              Please note I dont know what the longer term effects, if any, will be on the machine by fitting these steam wands so be aware that if you choose to fit them it is at your own risk! Do remember to prime (fill) the boiler before and after steaming to protect the health of your machine.

              P.S. After using the Breville wand a few more times I found  it did seem to produce velvety microfoam much easier than with the Starbucks Barista wand (on my machine). If the Breville tip was kept just below the surface and not allowed to introduce excess air, (which would happen quickly if the tip raised above the surface) and with the whirlpool generated correctly, the result was excellent microfoam.
              With the Starbucks wand on my machine, I needed to work the wand alot more and didnt achieve the same velvety microfoam. Might be my technique, lower steam pressure than new machine, type of milk? Either way I have left the Breville wand on my machine as it seems to do the job easier for me. The steam tips are interchangable between the 2 wands. The Breville came with a silicon washer whereas the Starbucks didnt. When I removed the Starbucks tip after only a few weeks use it was very tight and I thought maybe loctite had been used. After closer inspection I think it was baked on milk that had crept up the threads due to a lack of a washer between the tip and wand. I reassembled using food grade silicon grease just in case.  :


              Below are some photos comparing the 2 wands :-


              Breville 800ES wand on left includes safety grip which can be bought seperately. Starbucks Barista wand on right.




              Smaller hole in Breville 800ES steam tip at left.




              Starbucks Barista wand fitted to Saeco Via Venezia



              Breville 800ES wand fitted to Saeco Via Venezia

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

                I registered with Coffeesnobs today to thank Cafelotta for his work and to say that I bought a Breville 800ES wand from appliancepartsrus on eBay. Ordered Sunday despatched yesterday and received today. Their business name is Ewing Electrical of Nowra. Im nothing to do with them but bought a Via Veneto 3 weeks ago and have been searching for a replacement steam wand since as the original supplied is, in my opinion, quite disappointing. Im no tradesman but it took less than 5 minutes to fit and have already textured some milk - its much more convenient than the original. Now to start on depressurising the portafilter - seattlecoffeegear dont have any more depressurised ones in stock according to their website.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

                  Hi, I received my starbucks wand today,put it on machine ,i now seem to have to much pressure ,talk about creating a whirlpool more like a cyclone ,heats the milk is all ,anyway cheers ill keep trying.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

                    Originally posted by 7D74657974637C7872110 link=1339474948/7#7 date=1340687865
                    Now to start on depressurising the portafilter - seattlecoffeegear dont have any more depressurised ones in stock according to their website.
                    Ive had my order cancelled twice now by Seattlecoffeegear after the non-pressurised portafilter showed as In Stock and I ordered and payed for it through their Bongo International alliance. Ive then received emails telling me that the item isnt in stock and my money will be refunded. Problem is the bank charges for transactions involving currency exchange so I am out of pocket with nothing to show for it. Not sure what to make of it all.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Saeco Via Venezia Panarello - replace with a Steam Wand!

                      Originally posted by 7065766B6B69666B7D040 link=1339474948/8#8 date=1340694179
                      Hi, I received my starbucks wand today,put it on machine ,i now seem to have to much pressure ,talk about creating a whirlpool more like a cyclone ,heats the milk is all ,anyway cheers ill keep trying.
                      Takes a while to get the hang of it. Make sure to only half fill the jug (usually to the bottom of the spout) and use cold milk and preferably a cold jug. Start with the nozzle tip just below the surface and slightly off centre. If youre getting big bubbles lower the tip into the milk until they stop. If the whirpool gets too quick change the tilt of the jug or move the tip back towards the jug centre. Try just opening the steam knob too. Keep experimenting until you get it right! Its all about technique. The Starbucks wand is a little bit on the short side which makes things a bit harder. I found pointing the wand to the front left corner of the machine the best position for me. There are heaps of videos on YouTube re: milk steaming. Below is just one. Just be aware that the Saeco Via Venezia doesnt have as high Steam Pressure as larger machines so adapt your technique and experiment as mentioned above. Good Luck!

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OEG...eature=related

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Contact address for steam wand supplier

                        Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                        :-/ Originally this item was on page 1 of the Espressotec search results for Starbucks Barista. Today when I checked it had gone to page 3. I suppose if youre looking for it just read through the pages until you find it! P.S. Yesterday I noticed someone locally selling Steam wands for a Breville 800ES that look suspiciously like the Starbucks Barista ones except maybe a touch longer (which might be nice). The ball fitting that attatches to the machine looked the same in the photo. At $11 for the wand, curiosity got the better of me so I ordered one to try. Ill report back if it fits and works correctly. The seals are $11 extra.Total of $23 posted within Australia, it may be a cheaper alternative if it works. Ill let you know! (No I dont sell them, Im just a fellow private member).
                        Hi Cafelotta. Could you please supply me with the contact details for the supplier of the steam arms? Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cyberscrounge View Post
                          Hi Cafelotta. Could you please supply me with the contact details for the supplier of the steam arms? Thanks

                          Will send you PM shortly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just received and attached my Breville 800ES steam arm (from appliancepartsrus) with the rubber handle to the Via Venezia and wow what a difference it makes. The microfoam is awesome. All I can say is keep up the great work CafeLotta.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cavarna View Post
                              Just received and attached my Breville 800ES steam arm (from appliancepartsrus) with the rubber handle to the Via Venezia and wow what a difference it makes. The microfoam is awesome. All I can say is keep up the great work CafeLotta.
                              Great to hear another Via Venezia owner is getting more out of their machine with that simple and inexpensive modification.

                              The Via Venezia is a great platform to train on before progressing to more expensive machines if that's the path you choose.

                              Forces you to master temperature surfing due to the stainless steel boiler which heats/cools quicker than a brass boiler but is still capable of producing a very good coffee when you get it right.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X