Unpressurised baskets for Breville BES250S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpressurised baskets for Breville BES250S

Hello everyone. After taking 2 different Sunbeam coffee machines back in the warranty period I have bought the Breville. I use the Sunbeam EM0480 conical burr grinder and am happy with the grind quality on setting 15. I have noticed that the coffee flavour is different with the Breville machine than both Sunbeam machines and I would like to enquire if it would be worth buying the unpressurised baskets. Both the Sunbeam and the Breville leave water on top of the puck after the shot (around 15 seconds) is poured. Thank you

Re: Unpressurised baskets for Breville BES250S

Hi again coffee lovers. Maybe I should rephrase my question. I love the flavour of the coffee that I get from my machine, however I would like to experiment with improvement. How would I manage to get a shot of coffee in 30 seconds, not 15 seconds? If I let it pour for 30 seconds it would fill a mug and taste horrible. Should I tamp harder/better and use the unpressurised baskets. Would this allow better flavour extraction from the coffee? Perhaps then I could grind a little finer for even better flavour. By the way I use CS roasted beans in various flavours.

Comment

Unpressurised baskets are the next logical step.

Youll have to grind a lot finer for them but they will likely produce a better result in the cup (at least once you have a handle on dose/distribution/tamp )

Comment

If it is too fast through the pressurised basket, it will be worse through an unpressurised.

Grind finer and dose/tamp correctly (a search for the 5 cent test will help) until you get a decent pour. Then the next step is up to an unpressurised basket.

Note that the 480 is the **minimum** electric grinder for good espresso, and I doubt youll get really excellent coffee with it, it just doesnt have enough precision built-in. Grinders are much more important than machines in going from good to excellent.

Going from excellent to consistent "oh my G*d" requires everything to be right!

Greg

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by jbrewster View Post
            Unpressurised baskets are the next logical step.

Youll have to grind a lot finer for them but they will likely produce a better result in the cup (at least once you have a handle on dose/distribution/tamp )
            Thanks jbrewster. I have now used the unpressurised baskets for about a week and the results are much better. I have set the grinder to a finer grind now as well.

Comment

Working...
            X