Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing myself and my machine ;) Hi all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing myself and my machine ;) Hi all!

Hi everyone,

My name is Ian and Im a coffeeholic

I recently purchased (it arrived today) an EM5900 / EM0450 grinder bundle. Ive never actually made espresso before, and am eager to learn everything there is to know.

Needless to say my first efforts at lattes this morning was pretty poor. The first shot I pulled could barely get the water through (grinder set at about 12, but I think I tamped it too hard), and the water didnt seem very hot.

The second shot flowed a little better, but was still a bit slow I think. We ended up drinking this one - but it was not very strong at all! Not sure what to do there, It was level with the group before I tamped, and then about 3-4mm after tamping (double shot basket). I cant really fit any more coffee in there, so why is it not strong enough?!

And, my milk was not hot enough... clearly my hand is not able to recognise the temperature very well... I think I might need to pick up a thermometer :/

Anyway, going to give it another go this afternoon... let you know how I go.

For now, look forward to chatting with you guys coffee wise!

Cheers,

Ian (coffee fan, drummer and Lego loon)

Re: Introducing myself and my machine Hi all!

Oh, and ordered the single walled baskets from Breville on eBay about 10 minutes ago. Heard on a good forum somewhere that they are better

Comment

Welcome to CS.

Numbers on grinders are largely meaningless to anybody but you, every grinder is different, the zero points are not calibrated and will change over time.

Are you using a double wall filter currently? (Im not sure what the 5900 ships with, the way to tell is to look at the exit point on the filter basket, if there is only a few holes, commonly one, you are using a double wall filter) if so tamping will make little or no difference to the results in the cup (or so I understand, Ive never used double-wall baskets, I went straight to a commercial group), if your coffee tastes "weak" try grinding finer.

If you can afford it, some espresso training would be a good move, several sponsors have training courses available.

Comment

Hi jbrewster, yes - Im using double wall filters. As mentioned, got some single walls on the way so hopefully that will help. There was supposedly some barista training that came with the 5900 bundle, but I cant see anything about it in the literature. I will look around where I am located (near Coffs Harbour, Mid-North Coast of NSW) to see what courses are available

Comment

I recall hearing something about "Sunbeam Espresso School" or something like that, might be worth some googling.

Comment

Hi twisted.mellow, I live up the road a bit at Grafton, got a few coffee bushes growing at a mates place down towards your way up behind Sandy beach. If you ever need any coffee seedlings give us a buzz and Ill drop em round next time Im in Coffs visiting relos.

Comment

Hi backyardbean - growing my own coffee is probably taking WAY further than I can manage at the moment! One step at a time

Well, did my second lot of coffees this afternoon... A stronger brew, and much hotter milk, so some progress! Still ending up with a very loose, wet puck though... is there a reason for this?

Comment

Originally posted by 3F3C22383F2E2F65262E2727243C4B0 link=1341377630/6#6 date=1341382386
                Still ending up with a very loose, wet puck though... is there a reason for this?
                Thats endemic to pressurised baskets, once you switch to the single-wall basket that shouldnt happen if youve the right dose.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B28362C2B3A3B71323A333330285F0 link=1341377630/0#0 date=1341377630
                  Hi everyone,

My name is Ian and Im a coffeeholic

I recently purchased (it arrived today) an EM5900 / EM0450 grinder bundle. Ive never actually made espresso before, and am eager to learn everything there is to know.

Needless to say my first efforts at lattes this morning was pretty poor. The first shot I pulled could barely get the water through (grinder set at about 12, but I think I tamped it too hard), and the water didnt seem very hot.

The second shot flowed a little better, but was still a bit slow I think. We ended up drinking this one - but it was not very strong at all! Not sure what to do there, It was level with the group before I tamped, and then about 3-4mm after tamping (double shot basket). I cant really fit any more coffee in there, so why is it not strong enough?!

And, my milk was not hot enough... clearly my hand is not able to recognise the temperature very well... I think I might need to pick up a thermometer :/

Cheers,

Ian (coffee fan, drummer and Lego loon)
                  Welcome Ian. I think one of the mobile coffee cart firms in Coffs does small group / individual training. Shouldnt be hard to find them if they still do it. I know my sister was going to do one of their courses a year or so back, but not sure how it turned out.

BOSW (grew up in and around Coffs, guitar...strictly rythym...silly enough to play at the Hoey).

Comment

Hi BOSW... I will out the mobile coffee cart thing for sure.

Unfortunately, the Hoey Moey is a bit of a dive these days. Gets quite rough on Friday and Saturday nights. Certainly not a venue Id want to take half decent music gear to!

Comment

When you are texturing your milk, try holding the palm of your hand on the side of the jug. When it is to hot to continue holding your palm flat against the side, take your hand away and turn off steam about 3 secs later - always works for me - however Im not familiar with the EM5900. ( I have a LaCimbali M21 Junior.)
                      If it isnt hot enough just count more seconds in your head!
                      Milk jug thermometers are fairly inacurate, I have seen differences of 10 degrees between thermometers!

Comment

Well, I tried again this morning - wet puck, weak coffee, luke warm milk

However, this afternoon

Packed more coffee into the group (only leaving about 1.5mm gap at the top) with a good solid tamp, and using a milk thermometer that I picked up at lunchtime had nice hot milk

Ive gone from the missus saying "hmmm... coffees a bit weak" or "the milks not very hot, but keep trying!" - she now said this afternoon "bring me one of these everyday"

Still eager to try the single wall filters, and now have to master the art of microfoam, but progress is being made

Comment

Originally posted by 6E6D73696E7F7E34777F7676756D1A0 link=1341377630/9#9 date=1341442428
                          Hi BOSW... I will out the mobile coffee cart thing for sure.

Unfortunately, the Hoey Moey is a bit of a dive these days. Gets quite rough on Friday and Saturday nights. Certainly not a venue Id want to take half decent music gear to!
                          It wasnt a very salubrious place in the late 80s either I think it calmed down a little in the 90s when the guys from the New England Hotel in Armidale bought it....but seems to have reverted to type.

Good to hear you are making progress on the coffee front.

Comment

Well, making more progress with the coffees... My single wall filters arrived - they don't seem to make much difference to me really, but I haven't tried a finer grain coffee yet. Also haven't had much time to experiment either

Milk frothing is going a lot better - managing a fairly good microfoam, and picked up some thermal cups for when the missus or I travel (they look like take-away cardboard cups).

Next thing to work on - foam artwork I want to be able to make those cool leaf patterns!

Comment

Chances are you'll have to grind significantly finer for single wall filters, grind doesn't really effect double wall filters, but it is critical for single wall filters.

Comment

Working...
                              X