To much pressure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To much pressure...

I have a Gaggia Classic and when I bought it it had a dead Vibration pump in it, I have bought a new one but it seems to
    have too much pressure.
    I get 9 Bar at the basket (tested with a pressure gauge) but the espresso comes out way to fast and very thin.
    I use a Delonghi grinder on the finest setting and the beans are fresh.

The pump specs are:

AC.
    Ideal Fluid: Water.
    Self-priming at 0 bar.
    Inserted Diode.
    Electrical Connections 6,3 x 0,8.
    A joint making the pump independent
    from the hydraulic connection at the
    delivery is provided.
    Thermal cut-out pocket.
    230V
    50HZ
    2/1 MIN. CI.F 48W

Do I have to readjust the OPV because this motor seems to pump more fluid than the standard one?

Please help

Phil

Sounds to me like supermarket beans not ground fine enough.
    How do you know the beans are fresh?

Comment

Phil, the pressure you meaured is what you need.

Is it an Ulka vibe pump?

But assuming all is right with the pump and pressure, other factors will produce a gusher.

The dosing. Depending on your basket size, have you filled the basket?

Does your grinder grind fine enough?

Then, are you tamping withnsufficient pressure of around 14 kg?

If all is right you should aim for a max 60 ml extraction in about 25-30 seconds....

Comment

Yes it is an Ulka Vibe EP5 Pump.
        I am grinding at the Finest setting, I use a full basket and level off at the top then I use a stainless steel tamper and and push the hell out of it.
        It is all level and well polished on top.

Comment

Like what Yelta Said, how do you know the beans are fresh?

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
            Like what Yelta Said, how do you know the beans are fresh?

Cheers,

Chris
            Exactly Chris, try the obvious first, is the grind fine enough? I doubt it, who were the beans roasted by and are they fresh? I have no idea and Phil has chosen not to enlighten us.

Comment

might be the grinder. I had a delonghi of some sort and it was marginal for espresso.

Comment

The beans are from a supermarket foil packet (Oxfam Fair Trade Roasted but not ground). I have ground them on the finest setting.
                Would it be better buying ground coffee and if so what type... I have no idea.

Comment

Hi Phil? Do they have a roast date on them? Anything beyond about a month after roast will be stale...

If you see a use by date well into the future it's an indication that the a 1-3 year life is being assigned to the coffee.

Try to get some fresh coffee- or roast your own!

Comment

Originally posted by phil View Post
                    The beans are from a supermarket foil packet (Oxfam Fair Trade Roasted but not ground). I have ground them on the finest setting.
                    I suspect that supermarket beans are a big part of your problem Phil, try ordering some Coffee Snobs beans from here http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewCategory.aspx/RoastedCoffee
                    As far as ordering pre ground
                    , I have no idea of the capability of your grinder, if you order roasted beans from Beanbay and still get gushers you may have to think about a new grinder.
                    In the meantime do a little research on this site, there is a wealth of information on the topic we are discussing.

Comment

Thanks heaps... The coffee doesn't have a roast date on them at all, and best before is in like 10 Months.
                      Last edited by phil; 23 February 2013, 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling was a shocker

Comment

Originally posted by phil View Post
                        Thanks heaps... The coffee doesn't have a roast date on them at all, and best before is in like 10 Months.
                        Hmmm, given that the general consensus would suggest that freshly roasted coffee has a shelf-life of 90 days at worst and maybe 21 days at best I would think that the best before date 10 months from now should provide a clue as to the relative quality of this coffee. Why not run off to your local roaster or buy from one of the onsite sponsors and try again?

Comment

Phil,

Welcome to coffeeSnobs.

I see that you have at least one coffee roaster in Dubbo. The Fast Lane Drive Thru Coffee business roast weekly and sell coffee that would be fresher than the Oxfam beans from a supermarket.

Roasted coffee is usually at its best for about one to three weeks after roasting.

Barry

Comment

Re: To much pressure...

Thats great, I never knew that the fast lane roast there own coffee.... I will see them and grab some coffee beans.

Comment

When you try freshly roasted coffee from a roaster you will never go back to the super market stuff. Im sure like me, most of us have been there some time in our life buying beans from a super market..

Comment

Working...
                              X