Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 year old Silvia v2 for $300-is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 year old Silvia v2 for $300-is it worth it?

Looking for used machine to start on espresso making advanture. I am getting the rocky grinder following the advise to get better grinder first.

With my budget already stretched, is it worth getting 8 year old silvia or try cheaper sunbeem em4800 series first.

There are few second hand v2 silvias in 'good condition' according to the owners but the price is still $300.
    How old is too old for these machines, given that i dont have experience with using or maintaining them.

Thank u!

I'd say so; just give it a full test to begin with.

If you're looking for something comparable but cheaper, you might be able to grab a Gaggia Classic for 150-250.

Comment

$300 is absolute top price for a perfect m/c with some sort of assurance that if it has issues you can return it ?
      Until recently, you could get them new for $499 !
      Either negotiate it down nearer $200, or wait for a better deal. (do not buy the Sunbeam !)
      And yes, the Gaggia is a good alternative.

Comment

The $499 deal was a Melbourne roaster which offloaded a heap of stock at well below wholesale cost and then threw in a heap of rubbish coffee to sweeten the deal. This was unrealistic, unsustainable and set false expectations in the market. Ironically, they no longer sell the Silvia.

I'd think that $300 is more than fair for a unit in GC. A V3 in good nick should be more like $500 2nd hand and if this allows some to upgrade at no loss on their Silvias, they're winners.
        Last edited by TC; 12 March 2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

watch out for rust spots though by the tray area, and at the back where the pump is if you can...
          picked up my V3 last year at the same price, and all i needed to do was to clean and flush it thoroughly and it was good to go after...

Comment

Thank u all for responses!

!Dont buy sunbeam! has stuck in my head and i decided to look further including gaggia classic.

And just this morning, i have found this little treasure that needs some love and care -

giggia classic for $50 but needs boiler to be replaced according to the owner, picking it up tomorrow, how about that, heh?

Now, I have no idea where and how to fix it. Any suggestion where to take it around eastern suburbs, doncaster, or city? Shall i buy the parts online first?
            if you redirect me to the discussion link on gaggia repairs, id much appreciate.

Comment

Hmm... You will spend far more on repair of the dead machine than what you pay for it. Waste of time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Hmm... You will spend far more on repair of the dead machine than what you pay for it. Waste of time and money.
                So buying potantially dead silvia v2 for $300 is less risky than dead giggia c for $50? I guess i will have to find out myself.

Comment

If it works, it's alive. If it doesn't work, it's dead.

$50 on a machine which requires a new boiler is $50 wasted unless you're at Silvia level. Nevertheless, your choice to potentially waste $50.

Comment

If it works, it's alive. If it doesn't work, it's dead.

$50 on a machine which requires a new boiler is $50 wasted unless you're at Silvia level. Nevertheless, your choice to potentially waste $50.
                    I'd argue a Classic *is* at Silvia level.. That said, I agree that unless you can fix it yourself, you'd be making a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by kassa View Post
                      So buying potantially dead silvia v2 for $300 is less risky than dead giggia c for $50? I guess i will have to find out myself.
                      If you can't inspect and test in person and can't fix yourself, do not buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                        I'd argue a Classic *is* at Silvia level.. That said, I agree that unless you can fix it yourself, you'd be making a mistake.
                        Not for me. The Aluminium boiler would be a deal breaker.

Comment

If you can't inspect and test in person and can't fix yourself, do not buy.
                          Hmm, ive rushed it through and already committed, i wont back off.

My plan of attack is to descale and clean the group head and see what happens. As i understand the machine in not dead, the owners have switched to easy pod machine.
                          So thanks for advise, i am up for the challenge, i just have to navigate through the ample information available online on how to and why tos...

Comment

I'd argue a Classic *is* at Silvia level.
                            Of course you would

And... I think you would be hard pressed to find other CSers who might agree.

Comment

Not for me. The Aluminium boiler would be a deal breaker.
                              Is that on the basis of longevity or thermal mass (oe something entirely different)? I can understand it not being preferred, but they're both 58mm SBDUs running wide-band tstats with practically identical design and build quality (bar the boiler, being smaller and aluminium on the Classic), which would put them in the same class, no?

I've not pulled shots on a Silvia, but I understand the limitations of the Classic and can't see much in the Silvia that would change anything (besides maybe the ability to steam a 600ml jug properly).

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                              Of course you would

And... I think you would be hard pressed to find other CSers who might agree.
                              I think if you could show why they weren't, you wouldn't be relying on passive-aggressive non-sentences to make your point.

Comment

Working...
                              X